High gain distortion pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High gain distortion pedal

I am looking for a distortion tone that will be able to basically turn a clean tone into a modern high gain metal tone (e.g. toska, slipknot and Mastodon esque)

Ideally it would be able to calm down to a kind of foo fighters level as well. I will also be running a tube screamer over it for a lead boost.

I narrowed it down to the Friedman BE-OD and the Keeley filaments. Are either of these any good or do people have other suggestions?

Re: High gain distortion pedal

If you want something with amp-like variable gain, I would be looking at a preamp pedal. The AMT V series (like a Vt2, B2, E2 or their SS series) the new Mooer micro preamps, or even a Blackstar metal or Blackfire. Rev just realeased a killer new preamp pedal. All of those do killer modern metal, raw rock and some even have inbuilt clean channels.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Great I'll consider those. The variability is not as important as I do have other pedals and can purchase more but if you think that style would achieve better modern heavy tones then maybe that is where I should be looking.
      I am fine with getting a normal pedal for this tone and using others for medium gain etc..
      Any thoughts on the BE-OD?
      Last edited by Xandeeno; 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

If you like the sound I don't see how Friedman could steer you wrong if their amps are anything to go by.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

You might want to check out the Palladium Gain Stage.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You might also want to check out the BOSS Mega Distortion. Great gain and beautiful EQ flexibility and control. It gets vewry dark without getting muddy.

Comment

DOD Boneshaker can go from slightly gritty boost all the way to insane levels of distortion. It has a three band parametric EQ as well. I got mine for $30.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I like my EVH 5150 OD. Pretty versatile from rock to metal. You can use an overdrive with it as well to tighten for super modern tones. If it has a weakness it is needing an amp with a really good clean channel to avoid fizz.

Comment

Cheers for all the suggestions, I've heard that the diezel vh-4 is excellent but is it really worth the extra over something like the be-od or fillamanets? Same with the padallium

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    You might also want to check out the BOSS Mega Distortion. Great gain and beautiful EQ flexibility and control. It gets vewry dark without getting muddy.

Do you have one? Te description sounds great but none of the clips I've heard on YouTube sound as good. I'm curious to really hear what it can do.

Comment

I'm interested about the boss as well.
                      Think I'll go with the filaments thought after watching rabea massaads video on it!

Comment

Rob Chapman did a demo of the Diezel VH4 pedal and for looser tones like Mastodon it's the cat's meow. Sounds incredibly fat and powerful.
                        Slipknot and Toska are a whole different game.

What amp will you use? A good pedal goes a long way but I'm intrigued about that, anyway.
                        Last edited by Diego; 08-13-2018, 04:17 PM.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Keep in mind with the preamp pedals you can run into your amps fx return and bypass the tone stack altogether, then it all comes down to your power amp and speakers.

Comment

Yes the preamp does sound useful. I believe the vh-4 has a preamp.
                            It's between the vh-4 and filaments for me I think

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                              Do you have one? The description sounds great but none of the clips I've heard on YouTube sound as good. I'm curious to really hear what it can do.
                              Yeah, I have one I used it a lot with my last band. We were post-punk hardcore. Loved the bottom it gave me very throaty gain, lots of growl. It also really cut through with the leads. At any price, it is a killer pedal but it is only $69 on Amazon. Check out the reviews there it gets 4 1/2 stars and 85% of the reviews are 5-stars.

Last edited by Securb; 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X