Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High gain distortion pedal

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Yeah, I have one I used it a lot with my last band. We were post-punk hardcore. Loved the bottom it gave me very throaty gain, lots of growl. It also really cut through with the leads. At any price, it is a killer pedal but it is only $69 on Amazon. Check out the reviews there it gets 4 1/2 stars and 85% of the reviews are 5-stars.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-MD-2-Bos.../dp/B0002D087A
    I'm not in the market for a pedal currently but I'm curious to hear some clips, especially if you have any of what you described.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

What about DOD Death Metal ? Boss Metal Zone or Digitech Metal Master ? I donīt use any pedals for distortion nowadays , Only the distortions of my amplifiers . They are , by far , the best ones Iīve tried .

Comment

Originally posted by zegonzales View Post
        What about DOD Death Metal ? Boss Metal Zone or Digitech Metal Master ? I donīt use any pedals for distortion nowadays , Only the distortions of my amplifiers . They are , by far , the best ones Iīve tried .
        Really? I don't think they hold a candle to the previous suggestions, they're almost toys in comparison but if you get a sound you like from them, that's great. I can stand the death metal pedal. Doesn't even have a gain knob and cleans up terribly. Pretty basic feature.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Out of the Boss distortions I like the ML-2 and HM-3 the best overall, although with the HM-3 I prefer to drive it just a small bit with a compressor or active pups in front.
          These two hold more of the fundamental, or maybe it's just the clean note under the distortion. They're both more percussive than the Zone, the Mega, or the Heavy.
          Mode2 on the Turbo-Distortion is also great. Really I like them all for their own strengths.

None of these really sound their best in this video, but it gives a general idea of the differences. The HM-2 doesn't get a fair shake at all IMO. I never run the highs at max.

Last edited by dave74; 08-14-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Suhr Riot could be a worth option! Isn't that what this pedal was made to do?

Comment

As far as Boss pedals go, I’d pick the Metal Core over any of those mentioned thus far. That said, I’m sure you could do better. I’d start with a used Blackstar HT Dist X. It’s a great sounding pedal you can find for surpringly little money these days.

I haven’t played them first-hand, but based on the clips I’ve heard, the VH4 and BE-OD would probably give you what you want. The Filaments too, though there seems to be surpringly little buzz surrounding it. I have heard that without a mids knob the BE-OD can sound thin with some amps.

I have an AMT P1 preamp and don’t really care for it. It’s got this honk to the upper mids that annoys me, though that may be perfectly representative of the 5150 amp and not the pedal’s fault. It still sounds good otherwise, and it’s probably something I could dial out with my Boss GE7, that thing just adds noise, so I haven’t really messed with it when I have so many other good pedals.

Andertons did a blindfold shoot-out video that had all the pedals you’re interested in in it. It may be worth checking out. The Filaments didn’t make it into the top 5, but it has a ton of knobs and switches, so that may have just been due to how it was set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                I'm not in the market for a pedal currently but I'm curious to hear some clips, especially if you have any of what you described.
                The only stuff I have of the old band are practice tapes I recorded on my ZOOM. Nothing I would want to post to the forum or would be of any help tonally.

Comment

im not high gain guy but the palladium is a damn good pedal and has plenty of gain on tap. very flexible eq as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    You might want to check out the Palladium Gain Stage.

. . . not bad at all !!!
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Sounds fantastic and has me thinking.

Comment

MI Audio Megalith Delta!

Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

What kind of amp are you using? The best distortion comes from amps IMHO.
                          ROCK ON.

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
                            What kind of amp are you using? The best distortion comes from amps IMHO.
                            Perhaps 10 years ago, I'd agree. But there are lots of devices these days that do the distortion thing really really well. A pedal, like the Palladium or a full modeler like a Fractal AX8 are capable of astounding distortion tones.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Perhaps 10 years ago, I'd agree. But there are lots of devices these days that do the distortion thing really really well. A pedal, like the Palladium or a full modeler like a Fractal AX8 are capable of astounding distortion tones.
                              They're almost amps in themselves. I find those types of units sound best hooked up to a power amp or into the fx return.

Comment

Yeah there's nothing non-amp-like at all about a Mesa V-Twin pedal.

Comment

Working...
                                X