banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One pedal for a modern metal tone . . . into a clean'ish amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One pedal for a modern metal tone . . . into a clean'ish amp.

Uh...guys...Twin Reverb doesn't have an efx loop.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

That's why I recommended some of the AMT "2" series, they have an outs for the front of an amp, loop, or direct.

Comment

One pedal that came to my mind is the Tech 21 Fly Rig, specifically the Kotzen Sig. version.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The RK5 is a great pedal, but I wouldn't call it modern metal at all.

Comment

3 choices immediately come to mind - the MXR 5150, the Seymour Duncan Palladium, and the Empress Heavy.

The last one is not as well known, but to me it's the most dead-on metal-in-a-box pedal I've played. The 5150 and Palladium are great, too, but I feel that they're almost so amp-like that they benefit most from having a TS-type of overdrive in front. The Palladium has a built-in boost, but I didn't find that quite up to the task.

The Empress Heavy is so aggressive and tight it doesn't need everything in front of it. Also it has an amazing noise gate that can shut out single coil noise without sounding unnatural.

PS. I like Boss stuff, but the Metal Zone may be the worst pedal I have ever played.

Comment

Depending exactly how metal the gig is...

Extremely Metal? Metal Muff w/ Top Boost

Hard Rock to Heavy Metal? Suhr Riot

Classic Hard Rock/Metal? Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret (Mk anything, II preferred)

Get-Your-Motor-Runnin, get the Led out on the Sabbath, proto metal? Ibanez DS-9 Mod
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A Marshall Jackhammer. That pedal will sound heavy as balls easily, the EQ is extremely flexible and it has a freakin' parametric mid cut section.
                Talk about having a clear purpose. And not like it needs this, but it cleans way better from the guitar than most Boss dirt pedals do.

It's not the greatest sounding pedal, but it's dirt cheap and extremely reliable.
                Last edited by Diego; 09-06-2018, 09:04 PM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                  3 choices immediately come to mind - the MXR 5150, the Seymour Duncan Palladium, and the Empress Heavy.

The last one is not as well known, but to me it's the most dead-on metal-in-a-box pedal I've played. The 5150 and Palladium are great, too, but I feel that they're almost so amp-like that they benefit most from having a TS-type of overdrive in front. The Palladium has a built-in boost, but I didn't find that quite up to the task.

The Empress Heavy is so aggressive and tight it doesn't need everything in front of it. Also it has an amazing noise gate that can shut out single coil noise without sounding unnatural.

PS. I like Boss stuff, but the Metal Zone may be the worst pedal I have ever played.
                  So you're the one he made the video for? lol
                  Most stratguys don't dig the deathfuzz type distortion to be honest, it's something people either love or hate.

Comment

Rivera Metal Shaman
                    And
                    Black star HT-Metal

Comment

I guess we need examples of "modern metal tone" from the OP.

Comment

Given some reviews I've watched/read, two in particular come to mind. The Revv G3 and the Mooer Preamp Live. With the Revv, you're a bit limited, but if that's your tone, it sounds great. But with the Mooer, you can capture/profile/whatever your amp's preamp. So, in theory, you'll be able to to take your amp's tone with you in a little box. Of course, running into a random backline amp, it won't sound exactly the same, but it'll get you in the ballpark.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Krank Distortus Maximus.

Comment

Good luck finding most of these suggestions at the first store you walk into 10min before closing time. That scenario was the basis for my posting Metal Zone.
                            Get there too late and they already locked the door? No problem, because the pawnshops are open late and guess what,,,they have three used metal Zones also!!!

Yeah that Krank pedal is a true "rev in a box". Near spot-on, or as close as a pedal could be.

Comment

I've enjoyed my tight metal jr .

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                                Good luck finding most of these suggestions at the first store you walk into 10min before closing time. That scenario was the basis for my posting Metal Zone.
                                Get there too late and they already locked the door? No problem, because the pawnshops are open late and guess what,,,they have three used metal Zones also!
                                Good point.

Comment

Working...
                                X