No announcement yet.

So I built another pedal from a kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I built another pedal from a kit...

This is a BYOC Silver Pony, which is their 1:1 Klon Klone. They don't sell it anymore, but a company in Canada has a few kits for sale on Reverb. I took my time putting this together, and separated all the resistors and capacitors into labeled bags. I double-checked their values before soldering and only worked on the kit for about 45 min at a time, so I wouldn't rush through and mess something up. I've built a few kits before, and something always went wrong- usually I mistook red for orange on a capacitor or something stupid.

Well, I got this right on the first try. What does it sound like? Like a Klon- there are several videos out there comparing them. It is essentially an overdrive with a different EQ than a Tube Screamer...not so mid-heavy, and it retains bass. It is really touch-sensitive. I dig it. I wouldn't pay for a real Klon or even a KTR, but I'd recommend a kit like this to anyone. I am not super-great at electronics, but it was a blast to build...like a model plane you can play with. I've built BYOC's Overdrive II, 5 Knob Compressor, and a Tremolo before.

BYOC recently came out with a much larger Silver Pony II with more options, but I like the size of this one better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.gif
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	5849390

Name:	partsbag.gif
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	5849391

Name:	top.gif
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	5849392

Name:	inside.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	5849393
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: So I built another pedal from a kit...

Nice job.

Those are fun to do.

I bet it sounds a bit better than my $16 one lol

Comment

That’s a great pedal - it’s a mainstay on my main board. Their Green Pony is another awesome drive. Love me those BYOC kits - and I’ve been eyeing one of their amp kits for a while too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job. It’s a really great circuit that behaves differently than other ODs, especially with the gain down.

In an alternate universe my whole board (minus some digital stuff) would be self built. Due to work and kids, I rely on Brian Wampler, Robert Keeley, Mike Pierra and Mike Fuller.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks all! There are lots of Klones out there that I could buy, but I was looking for a little project and frustration had settled from the last one, so this was probably the easiest one I've built. It is the type of pedal that can sound good as a boost or as the main source of drive. I generally am liking it as a drive source, sine the amp is almost always clean.

Comment

Very cool. Kits are fun. Heck, building pedals can be fun. I have a breadboard at the house that I sometimes tinker with and lay out a booster or fuzz on it. BYOC has a Yellow Overdrive kit which is their clone of the old Boss OD-1, complete with the original 14-pin chip. That's about the only pedal I would consider getting right now, simply because prices for the originals are so high.

Comment

Wow, that's super cool!!!

Very nice soldering job, as well. Clean and precise. What soldering iron did you use?

Sound bites, please!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
                Wow, that's super cool!!!

Very nice soldering job, as well. Clean and precise. What soldering iron did you use?

Sound bites, please!!
                It is just a 30 watt old Radio Shack iron. My first pedals didn't look so clean. After this weekend's shows I may have time for a clip- but it sounds exactly like every other Klon/Klone out there.

Comment

Looks nice Dave! The SP II looks nice too with the boost, but yeah, it does cost more real estate.

If you are into kits, you might try GGG (https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits.html) too, some crossover with BYOC, and some different offerings. They tend to be a little cheaper than BYOC at the cost of more plain jane wrappings (not knob choices, no labeled boxes) but the boxes are pre-drilled. I love the Guv'nor clone and the BSIAB II, the phase 45 does a pretty convincing vibe too.

Comment

Yeah, I hadn't built a GGG kit yet, but I've looked at them. Are they about the same level, skill-wise, as BYOC?

Comment

Looks great Mincer. Nice job. I'm embarrassed to say that I built the GuitarGadgets Klon Klone several years ago. When I say "built", I mean I populated the circuit board, but never mounted it into an enclosure. So I've never heard it. This was back at a time when we were working 60-hour weeks at work. Now I need to dig it out and get her finished. Your pedal is an inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Yeah, I hadn't built a GGG kit yet, but I've looked at them. Are they about the same level, skill-wise, as BYOC?
                        IMHO, yes, if you can build a BYOC kit, you can build a GGG kit, for example, here are the BSIAB instructions - http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...rtion/bsiab-2/

Nice neat work BTW!

FWIW, I have a degree in electronics and I've built my own from scratch (and produced some for a store for a few years), but if you know what you want, sometimes it's worth spending a little more rather than tracking down all the parts and, especially, getting a ready made PCB instead of perfboarding it.
                        Last edited by devastone; 10-26-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Very nice...their instructions seem like something I can handle. I will be reading up on their kits this week.

Comment

BSIABII Forms the basis of all the really good high gain Marshall in a Box pedals from the last decade or so.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, the CMATMODS Brownie is a BSAIB, and as you said, pretty much all of the FET based "Marshall" pedals are variations on that circuit. And yes, it sounds really good, there is a demo of it by Paul Crook on youtube.

Comment

Working...
                              X