Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I built another pedal from a kit...

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Nice job. It’s a really great circuit that behaves differently than other ODs, especially with the gain down.
    It’s a unique circuit. The gain knob blends between a clean boost and a germanium overdrive. It’s two separate signal paths.

So at lowest settings you hear the clean boost, and all the way up is just the overdrive.

I have one of the BYOC circuit boards in my parts box. Never got around to building it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: So I built another pedal from a kit...

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      It’s a unique circuit. The gain knob blends between a clean boost and a germanium overdrive. It’s two separate signal paths.

So at lowest settings you hear the clean boost, and all the way up is just the overdrive.

I have one of the BYOC circuit boards in my parts box. Never got around to building it.

Right - the only downside is that for third of the Gain pot’s sweep there’s a drop in treble - can be compensated for with the Treble pot, but I think this is why folk prefer it at one or other end of the gain sweep (I use mine with a little amount of gain, and ahead of other drive pedals).

This drop in treble led me to the BYOC Green Pony, which is based on a Maxon OD820 - that’s a fantastic alternative to the Silver Pony (as Dave said, the SP is discontinued as a single stomp).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think the website is around anymore, but I built a Klone from a 3DPT kit. It was eye-opening when most of my overdrive experience had been with Tubescreamer knockoffs. The Klon sound is just amazing, and now I leave it on almost all the time.

Comment

Now it's time to build an amp!

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            I don't think the website is around anymore, but I built a Klone from a 3DPT kit. It was eye-opening when most of my overdrive experience had been with Tubescreamer knockoffs. The Klon sound is just amazing, and now I leave it on almost all the time.
            3PDT ... Yeah, it was too bad that he folded. He had some interesting stuff and pretty good prices on full and partial kits.

He still has a store on amazon. Completed pedals, parts and some boards.
            Last edited by Darg1911; 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

If you want to ride, ride the silver pony, not a white horse.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Now it's time to build an amp!
                I thought about it! But I am not so secure in my electronics knowledge yet.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

It is a MXR Dist+/DOD 250/and so on with a clean booster of sorts mixed up....buffered and all of that....

Comment

This looks appealing. How many hours was the total build?

Comment

Well, I took my time..maybe 5-7 total, but no more than 45 min at a time. Those tiny parts fatigue my eyes quickly, and, although I really wanted to get it done, if I worked past that, I know I'd make mistakes. The biggest and most time-consuming task was separating and sorting the resistors so I didn't have to sort through the pile every time I needed one.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                        It is a MXR Dist+/DOD 250/and so on with a clean booster of sorts mixed up....buffered and all of that....
                        All drive boxes are pretty much a variation of a Tube Screamer/SD-1, a Dist+/DS-1, or a Fuzz Face, and for the new "amps in boxes", of the BSIAB. Other than that it's pretty much just changing part values and sometimes adding some features (buffers for the bufferless, removing buffers on the buffered, adding clean blends, adding/subtracting tone controls, adding soft/hard clipping switches, adding diode selection switches, etc...).

Comment

Don’t forget the Big Muff!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Which one? I've never used one other than an experiment I built once, but IIRC, there are discrete versions and opamp versions, but both versions use clipping diodes (again, I"m going on memory, don't have time to look it up this morning). They are slight variations/hybrids of the fuzz face/Dist circuits.

Comment

I’d say they are distinct enough, 4 transistors instead of 2, clipping diodes instead of none, a very unique tone stack.... and it predated the Dist+ circuit by quite a bit. The OpAmp version was done in the late 70’s, I bet for cost save. It seems everything in the EHX line had changes for cost savings and part availability. Sites like KitRae that detail the mind boggling array of changes they’ve made are pretty amazing. Just like the Tube Screamer it’s a great platform to mod, resistor, cap and diode changes can net some nice changes to the tone.

Maybe you’re out of the pedal game lately, but there are a million Big Muff style pedals now. Almost as many as Tube Screamers.
                              Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-01-2018, 04:11 PM.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yes, I know there are many muffs out there, and yes, I haven't been building pedals as a business for a really long time. I'll concede and give the muff its uniqueness and add it to the list of originals.

FWIW, you know an opamp chip is basically just a bunch of discrete components in a box.

This is the schematic of one of the 2 opamps in a JRC4558:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jrc4558.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5810325

At this point, I would like to apologize for the derailment of the original thread and Mincer's very neat build! Part of the point is that with a few kits, you can build a bunch of variations on some common themes.

Comment

Working...
                                X