Pedalboard blasphemy. Who's with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedalboard blasphemy. Who's with me?

I played for about an hour last night, and the only pedal I used was my tuner. I thought it sounded the best it has in a long time, and I enjoyed playing more than I had recently as well. It might be time to slim down.

Re: Pedalboard blasphemy. Who's with me?

I use a small pedal board (4-7 pedals max -and that includes tuner and EQ pedal) -so I can get the same sounds from any backline amp when traveling to a gig - it also has redundant power underneath.

I was against any board for years until I had a couple of gigs in the 90s where I had pedal issues that had to be diagnosed onstage mid gig.

Then I realized the critical nature of the reliability inherit in a fixed and tight small board with a great power supply..

For recording, I only use the pedal or 2 that are a must for the song -I never run through a bunch of pedals or switching that are not part of the song.

Here's an example of my little guy for gigging.

it's typically a pedal or two smaller than this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Road rig - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	5810970
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

With the proper rig I got to the realization I don't need an overdrive or distortion pedal at all. When playing in mono the FX come in only in cameos like solos or enhancing a clean sound but you loose a bit of the definition of the note attack, after that FX are off. My always on pedal is my ISP Decimator GString ii, I just crank the gain and use the guitar volume knob.
      Last edited by IMENATOR; 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

I play without pedals probably 90% of the time and love the sound of my amp . . . but that 10% there's just nothing else that will do.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Pedals are fun at home but I never use them on stage. I had not played out in several years when one of my old bands had two "reunion" shows in a row. Friday night I had my eq pedal for solo gain boosting. Halfway through the show I regretted it and Saturday night I ran straight into the amp. It just sounds better to me that way.
          That Saturday the guitar player in the opening band sounded great running through a small pedalboard (5 pedals, I think). There is no right or wrong, only "sounds good."

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            I played for about an hour last night, and the only pedal I used was my tuner. I thought it sounded the best it has in a long time, and I enjoyed playing more than I had recently as well. It might be time to slim down.
            Yes, playing without a tuner has been way overrated for far too long. I recommend all musicians try playing with a tuner at least once to see how you like it. Scales begin to sound familiar again, and chords can sound like one guitar now instead of six different ones. ;-)

Comment

As long as that tuner is not clipped to the headstock when playing live.....I HATE that.
              It just looks unprofessional to me. JMO
              Like chewing gum on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                As long as that tuner is not clipped to the headstock when playing live.....I HATE that.
                It just looks unprofessional to me. JMO
                Like chewing gum on stage.
                Can't clip the tuner to my headstock. There's no more room up there. That's the spot for the fatfinger (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...stain-enhancer) and capo.

:P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I am kind of a beginner and play using vsts right now, but using logic yeah, less cables+less buffering gives you a purer tone. You can do the reverse as I've seen some pros doing, use a long cable on purpose to shave some highs... I'd personally use a eq pedal for that.
                  "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Can't clip the tuner to my headstock. There's no more room up there. That's the spot for the fatfinger (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...stain-enhancer) and capo.

:P
                    How well does that work?
                    I know that extra mass on the head stock is supposed to add sustain...does it really work or is it just a gimmick?

Comment

I was just joking, don't actually own one . . . but have played around with strapping heavy stuff to the head stock just to see what would happen (hell, it's free right?). It does make a small change in how the guitar sounds. Maybe a touch more sustain if you use something that's pretty heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStrings View Post
                        I am kind of a beginner and play using vsts right now, but using logic yeah, less cables+less buffering gives you a purer tone. You can do the reverse as I've seen some pros doing, use a long cable on purpose to shave some highs... I'd personally use a eq pedal for that.
                        Let's me clear up some stuff here, Direct pickup to guitar amp preamp connections, in principle gives you an electrically cleaner S/N ratio and may avoid distortion and artifacts created from especially digital modulation circuits -and second, it gives your pickups direct interaction with your Guitar amp preamp -which can liven up the sound or reaction when playing in certain conditions or combinations (although it can conversely make it less desirable than interaction with a buffer circuit first too -it's totally pickup and amp combination dependent)

-but a better Signal to Noise Ratio or avoiding distortion/artifacts created by more circuitry in the chain DOES NOT EQUAL "Purer Tone" on it's own -unless you can audibly hear the difference. -and a properly set up pedal chain WILL NOT be heard in the path by most if not all listeners unless a desired effect is engaged on purpose.

So really to me, it's about a good pedal selection, pedal power and cable setup and if you like how your pickups and guitar gain structure acts direct to Guitar amp preamp or not or prefer how the other pedal buffers interact.

And I think most people who laud over they way their guitar sounds direct into their amp are ACTUALLY enjoying how the impedance matching between their pickup and the preamp circuit are working because it can be very nice at times with the right combo -AND NOT how their various pedals are interfering tonally as often communicated
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Hmm, I really have little experience with real gear so maybe I am over-counting the effects of cabling/impedance.
                          Thanks for the info and clear-up!
                          "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            How well does that work?
                            I know that extra mass on the head stock is supposed to add sustain...does it really work or is it just a gimmick?
                            I find that the poor man's fat finger has a better tone
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	5814640

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X