The one and only fuzz thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The one and only fuzz thread

There are dozens upon dozens of pedals on the market that are nothing more than some fella tweaking his Big Muff until it sounded *just right.

I suggest you go and do the same. It's a simple circuit that's very tweakable and there's a lot of resources out there on the web to help you decide what you want to do with yours.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I bought a Fuzz pedal that was handmade by a guy who made sure all specs were replicated It switches bt a 1969 spec Germanium fuzz and a 1970 silicon. It’s awesome

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        If you want to chug and do pinch harmonics, get a distortion.
        Point taken - I just find other fuzzes more flexible in that respect (without going full distortion.)
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

The Morley Fuzz is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
            3 I could mention, but my Analogman Sunface NKT Red Dot is the one that never leaves my board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            got a few i really like but if i only get one, its the analogman red dot sunface. a great example of what a germanium fuzzface should and can be. all the shades of dirt i could want between 10 and 2 on the guitar volume knob.
            Me too...

Although I also like the Dunlop Hendrix a lot too. Special Muff shoutout to the Earthbound Supercolider.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The problem I have with fuzzfaces is that they're just a little too picky for me. They have to be first in line. They seem to sound best if they're on all the time and you're just using your volume to control them. They don't play nicely with other pedals in unpredictable ways. Germanium ones are even picky about the damned room temperature. When you get 'em set up exactly right they're great though.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Or an Octavia.

Comment

Check out the home team's La Super Rica:

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I built a tonebender mkII that sounds great. Tweaked it a bit but the base circuit sounds great.

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    There are dozens upon dozens of pedals on the market that are nothing more than some fella tweaking his Big Muff until it sounded *just right.

I suggest you go and do the same. It's a simple circuit that's very tweakable and there's a lot of resources out there on the web to help you decide what you want to do with yours.
                    I'm not a fan of the Big Muff but to its credit, it's definitely one of the more complicated fuzz circuits. It's probably 4-5x as many parts as a fuzz face. You're right that people can and should build these themselves if they're interested in that, but I'm just putting it out there that there's an easier starting point for tweaking fuzzes.

From a circuits standpoint, I think the Big Muff tone circuit is interesting. In practice I don't find it useful though - you can never dial out that midrange scoop. It's a big part of what makes a muff sound like a muff, but it's very limiting.

Edit: just realized you maybe meant modding a pedal, not necessarily building from scratch. Yeah that's totally realistic for even a beginner at electronics.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Where has this pedal been all my life? It talks to my "bees in a can" tone that everyone hates.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Where has this pedal been all my life? It talks to my "bees in a can" tone that everyone hates.
                        What's wrong with "bees in a can"? Especially killer bees from Skull Island.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          What's wrong with "bees in a can"? Especially killer bees from Skull Island.
                          Nothing! I play for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of the folks that are benevolent enough to support my efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            Nothing! I play for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of the folks that are benevolent enough to support my efforts.
                            I'm thinking we'd enjoy playing together.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything bad comes from Skull Island.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I like this one, never tried it, never even heard of it.

Thanks Mincer
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X