Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about nodding pedals by changing pot values

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    So unfortunately all I had was a pack of 22k resistors. I tried one and it works exactly as promised! However, it is too much of a good thing. I am going to buy an assortment pack and try a 100k. If that's not ideal maybe a 47k will be goldilocks for me.

One last question: it seems to have the same effect when bridging the left tab and the middle vs the outer two tabs. Does it matter which way I install it?
    Nope, it doesn’t make a difference.
    If a 22 is too much, which I read makes it dimmer, 100 would make it even more so. Try wiring 2 of the 22s in parallel, that will equate them to an 11k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimilee View Post
      Nope, it doesn’t make a difference.
      If a 22 is too much, which I read makes it dimmer, 100 would make it even more so. Try wiring 2 of the 22s in parallel, that will equate them to an 11k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      He means it removes too much gain I think, in which case moving towards a higher value will be better.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

That's a pretty simple circuit. Why not buy all the components for 20-30$ and then breadboard it? You can plug various values in until you've found exactly what you like, then throw it in a case and sell the old one.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          That's a pretty simple circuit. Why not buy all the components for 20-30$ and then breadboard it? You can plug various values in until you've found exactly what you like, then throw it in a case and sell the old one.
          Might do that someday, but right now I don't have the time to get that involved.
          My pattern is to modify things a little, then a lot, then build from scratch. Did it with cars & guitars, now I'm on pedals.

Yes, 22k dropped the gain too much.
          Last edited by Dave Locher; 08-24-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Mission accomplished!
            Added a 100k resistor to the gain pot. Still goes into "way too much gain" territory but the range between no gain and light gain is now between 7 o'clock and 9, rather than 7 and 7:15. MUCH easier to dial in what I consider the sweet spot.

Thank you everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
              Might do that someday, but right now I don't have the time to get that involved.
              My pattern is to modify things a little, then a lot, then build from scratch. Did it with cars & guitars, now I'm on pedals.

Yes, 22k dropped the gain too much.
              You built a car from scratch? I'm impressed

Comment

For a circuit analysis of the Rat: https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  You built a car from scratch? I'm impressed
                  It's an expression - I completely modified a 1953 Chevy from top (chopped) to bottom (suspension swap) & everything in between. We call that "building a kustom." Although my next project *was* going to be a literally built-from-scratch roadster...I had children instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X