Best fuzz with P90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fuzz with P90s

Since I finally converted a guitar to P90s, I feel like I need to explore the world of fuzz that I never really liked with humbuckers. I'm kind of going for a raunchy, late 60s and 70s vibe. I think this guitar is seeming like a Stones and/or Sabbath guitar, so keep that in mind when making recommendations.

I'm thinking of building a kit (BYOC, for example) or from a project at Aion, since the circuits are pretty simple. If I understand it correctly--and that's a big "if"--there are three classic fuzz circuit types: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, and Big Muff. From what I've seen on YouTube, the AnalogMan SunFace NKT 275 sounded very good to me, and I've never been able to make a Big Muff sound good, but saying that is like saying "I don't like fish," since there are so many varieties.

What would you recommend?

Do you have access to any modelers? Most of them have reasonably decent versions of several of the most famous circuits. Certainly faithful enough to point you in the right direction, as far as which types of fuzz may be worth further investigation.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

i sorta agree with that, its worth taking the time to poke around before you take the plunge for sure. but for me, even among the fuzzface pedals out there i was super picky since its such a simple circuit and they sound and react differently. i ended up with a analogman red dot nkt 275 but i think his current nkt red dots are the same. the white dot nkt 275 are fantastic too with maybe a little more open top end and less low mid density. but this is all with my rig, you might not like a fuzzface at all if you actually played one. tone benders are a totally different thing (at least most versions) the muffs are all over the place too. good luck on your journey

Comment

I would suggest picking up a MXR Blue Box

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
          Do you have access to any modelers? Most of them have reasonably decent versions of several of the most famous circuits. Certainly faithful enough to point you in the right direction, as far as which types of fuzz may be worth further investigation.
          This is what I was going to recommend, or see if a friend has a bit of a fuzz fetish, so you can try several. You can spend a lot of money on fuzz pedals these days, and it helps to have something help point the direction.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use an Electro Harmonix "Octavix" with my P90 Epi Wildkat.

Sounds good to me, very versatile... but still not a "vintage" sounding fuzz. More modern, and can be waaaay too bright (needs EQ dialing on amp).

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Zvex fuzz factory! It's got an awful lot of fuzz sounds in a tiny package, but takes a little learning.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm really liking demos I've seen now of the Black Arts Pharaoh. I think I want to build the Aion Osiris, since it seems to have a lot of options to sculpt the response and is specifically designed to work well at different points in the signal chain.

Comment

the old style fuzz pedals, like the fuzzface and bender, really wanna be first inline due to low input impedance. the output impedance of the fuzzface is wonky too so it doesnt stack well with some drive pedals. that said, its still my favorite fuzz

Comment

Fulltone '69 IMHO

Comment

I really like the Lovepedal Fuzz 50 with P90 guitars. One-knob pedal - bias is hardwired, and the only control is output volume.

IMO it's like an optimized FuzzFace: enough mids to not disappear in a mix with another guitar, and a slightly contained low end that never gets wooly or woofy, while keeping the FF's great cleanup when you back off. Iconic Jimi semicleans when you roll the guitar way down.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I would also strongly suggest checking out the Morley Cliff Burton fuzz if you want a true vintage fuzz. It is the fuzz circuit from the huge silver 70's wah pedals without the wah.

Last edited by Securb; 08-22-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I have the Analogman Red Dot NKT (lower gain), and it is a great fuzz with P90s, SCs and HBs, just have to know how to pair it with guitar vol/tone controls for the right result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have rio grande p90s in an epi les Paul. Sound excellent with a dwarfcraft robot devil or basic audio scarab deluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also ,La Supa Rica is a great fuzz for P90s (and any other single coils). It doesn't get so spitty, and sounds smooth. It still reacts like a fuzz, and it sounds amazing into a clean amp like a Super Reverb or Twin.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X