banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotDemanic
    replied
    Time to stir the pot yet again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AP1GczM-HEcQCXbfhBCOdCMiXcEbj7T-SPo8bsUYxQcs1pOtycOHzX33bIMsi3weSdXHWXU0_4K4KH4L2_oWWLgzyVZeq_Om-tlw-qdEybHV85Fgpn8icqlu3pPlTBBFT6iUhgjcPZ0iLgq1SoU31jXlZs0X-B2WTrjb0DYopZtsH68G29uvr3Ua90orLWCVzRIWFlrBD3kto9t9l8rvfy8LUforb7qNXOhXwV4vHDyAKqfN1wi20Bw2H-x3zn8
Views:	50
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	6273532

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied
    right, my bad

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
    Thank you for your in-depth analysis, I can assure you that I will follow all your enlightened advice, but, before adopting the measures indicated, I would like to detail some points in greater depth.
    You are new to this, so I'll just say this.

This is I review your board, not discuss. It isn't I review and you make excuses either. If I didn't ask, I don't care, and it can only get you in trouble usually.

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied
    Thank you for your in-depth analysis, I can assure you that I will follow all your enlightened advice, but, before adopting the measures indicated, I would like to detail some points in greater depth.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Diagonal floor tiles and angled guitar rack against straight board. This thread is business - not art school.
    Got the point. I will adopt a rotating parquet to adapt it to the inclination of the pedal board.

Your mom probably dressed you in corduroy pants too and you thought they were "fancy" because they were special.
    so much true that I blush

First, size and spacing is perfect for the number of pedals (I'm taking to you ASCENSION!).
    Thank you very much, so many years of headache to millimetrically move everything to fit (hope you'll never see the cable mess under my board anyway)

No signal path...so I'll just have to guess....
    trickier than it seems, for reasons I will explain because it could be useful for someone else.

Guitar > CE-2w > Viscous Vibe > Vox Wah > Dual Drive > Rat > Sub'n'UP > Rubberneck Delay > Trinity > Ditto > Polytune > Amp

Fact is the Vibe is the modulation pedal I prefer the most and I like it before the drive BUT the TC Viscous Vibe has a always On buffer (there's a switch to bypass it inside but it seems it doesn't work, don't know why) and this buffer has a big color on the tone, too big, it shelves the highs too much with high impedance source like a pickup, so it needs a more transparent buffer before.
    Since the Wah has true bypass I did need something else, the choose was the CE-2W. This also cures a weird volume problem on this particular chorus, beautiful pedal but as soon you engage it there is a nasty volume jump, putting it in front of the drive the jump is not audible.
    This also explains why the Wah is in the middle, anyway enough room to rock it without messing with other pedals, even with my 11,5 shoes

Next, T-Rex dual drive. No comment.
    Actually they are two independent modified RATs in one pedal , the left with a mild gain and broader bass, the left more similiar to a standard RAT, a cooler pedal than it seems

Rat - always in style, but I note the extremely low drive setting.
    Good point, good eyes.
    Anyway I normally use it with the gain at 2 o'clock. It's actually a RAT I modified, changing the bass freq cutoff and the clipping diodes, it sounds this way more like a Fuzz, a cross between a Fuzz face and a Big Muff, but much more usable and without the mid scooped EQ. It's a surprising pedal this way, it's the first fuzz I have that can cut well through the band mix.

And dirt followed up with a classic GE-7 with a nice little mid bump. Solo boost for home use I suspect?
    I often carry this board with me ouside home...

Now - not sure what to say about the Subnup. Interesting settings. Equal parts dry, sub and up. Not sure about the location either. I'd say this should go first on principle, as a pitch effect. But explain a little more about where it really is.
    after hundreds of experiments, in this place, after a chorus and a mild drive (for example the left part of the dual drive), it surprisingly sounds like a Hammond organ, no kidding, try it. Without the chorus it's still interesting for solos coupled with a bit of drive.
    If I put it before the drive it gets really messy, especially with a RAT type circuit, so I move it post the dirt pedals.

Never heard of the Rubberneck
    please try it, it's a sleeper. It's not the cleaner analog delay ever made but it's heaven for me, even with its hiss, I almost get emotional sometimes when I play it

The Trinity is a cool slightly extended TC Hall of fame with a couple of extra Ambience settings I believe. Worship player perhaps?
    no, cheap 2nd hand buy, but it resulted in one of the best reverb I've heard, I use it in Hall mode the most, or Church mode for some Jeff Buckley type things sometimes.

Nicely done. Now go fix that abomination of a guitar strap.
    At once Sir​

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied

First off, crappy photo. The lines-a-skew factor with angles and verticals hurts my head. Stop trying to be freaking artsy. Line it up with the tile, and lose the table or whatever in the shot. Is it too much to just take a freaking vertical pic down on a board? Apparently so.

Next - where did you take this shot? In some defunct out of business 70's Kmart or something? Those tile colors - WTF?

As for the cables, Medusa called, she wants her snake hair back. I got two words for you: Zip Tie.

The prefab board - looks nice, don't know who makes it. Of course, you aren't really using it, are you? I see a whole bunch of input outputs at the top of the board. They are probably Bly there for a reason. Use them!

And the dead space in the north east quadrant. What is that? Sacred Native American burial ground or something? Put something there! I know - how about a GREAT BIG BOOST!!!!!! Because we seriously can't hear the guitar in any of your clips.

The more I look at this the more I think it does not need anywhere near that much real estate for those few pedals.

It sure as hell is not sexy enough to deserve two pics! You need to put that ego compressor on your own skull.

Now for the pedals...

Mini Ego Comp - Nice always on option. Have the big one myself.

Nobles OD - the other Green Overdrive. You think you are ready for Nashville? Seriously, nice choice again. Too many screamers out there. I don't see these often enough.

Buffer? For those few pedals. Seriously? Buff my bald head.

Then A Rocktron Chorus? Way cheap up a nice start with a gaudy old chorus. Spent all your money on that giant board you are using about 40% of...

Boss DD-6/7/8/whatever. A standard.

And then Strymon. I would typically say this is pretentious, but I know you are a worship player, so I guess it is required. Then again, I have seen some of the shacks you play in, so I'm back to pretentious. Then again, wood church shack probably kills any natural reverb....so it might take Strymon to deliver some heavenly verb.

You need to take this and get a Pedal train of the appropriate size, all in one line.

Ego > Nobles > NEW Chorus > Boss > Strymon > Done. And then no need for all that cable mess either. 4 patch cables and then one to the amp, set the Mesa with on the ground.

Seriously - get a CE5 or something.

You have 5 pedals on a board that can hold twelve. Give some other people room on stage! You don't need it.
    LOL that's an old-battered road worn 25-year-old SKB that had been gathering dust in my junk room, the input and outputs on it are all toast. I just put it to use as a grab and go board because it has a decent carry bag. Was using a Wallmart dish drying mat that I threw in an anvil briefcase so--. Have a nicer board for the bigger Amps.
    On the buffer, it isn't the number of effects, it's the 15-foot run of cable to and from the amp loop. That 30 foot cable run plus effects kills a lot of high end, so the buffer is needed. On the cables it is all zip tied, there are just 5 cables coming into and out of the board (daisy chain, loop in and out dual cable, channel switch cable and the output for the Compressor and OD to the front of the amp).
    The Compressor is only used for country lead work a solo boost or clean sustain OD is set for a light crunch or with a volume roll off edge of breakup. The amp has a built-in contour solo boost on the channel switch, so--.
    That old Rocktron Chorus is there because I simply like the way it sounds. Like it better than all the much more expensive units I have owned over the years. That why I have kept it for over 20 years.
    The room is the youth room in a Church, this group has been in a number of locations over 20 or so years. This is the best sounding room we have been in, plus it's free so--. Was a grocery store at one time, so dead on the assessment of the tile. The photo was just a quick snap on my phone from last night just before we started. Surprised you didn't catch the messy daisy chain, as really need a proper power supply for this board, that thing is a PITA and is a little noisy.
    On the 2 photos, blame the forum software posting photos here used to be easy but after the last updates--well.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

Name:	IMG_20240306_110142.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6273110
    I wanna play this game too, this is my home board, the one I use the most these days
    All right - let's tackle this...

First of all, this is NOT a game an the casual attitude suggests that any advice given will not be adhered to. Musical lives have been saved by the tough love given here. And based on this, you appear to be one of those people in need. I don't care how neat and tidy the cables are. OK - I do care. We ALL should care.

Let me jump in and discuss YET ANOTHER EFFING ARTSY-@$$ photo!!!!

Diagonal floor tiles and angled guitar rack against straight board. This thread is business - not art school. Go take flowery photos elsewhere. They are a PITA to me! But, if you want to piss me off out of the gate, go ahead...

Next up - you do not deserve to have whatever guitar is attached to that horrible red guitar strap. You went for a basic black across the board. Yeah, that lacks style, imagination, and there are probably better choices for each guitar, but basic black isn't bad. When we see that red stitched crap that you put on the one time you got fancy - go back to black. Your mom probably dressed you in corduroy pants too and you thought they were "fancy" because they were special.

I will say this board has a few very good points. First, size and spacing is perfect for the number of pedals (I'm taking to you ASCENSION!).

Next, consistent, tidy, out of the way patches. EVERYONE can learn something from this.

No signal path...so I'll just have to guess....

The TC Viscous Vibe - this is actually a very cool Vibe pedal, and highly underrated. Now - I am not a vibe pedal guy (unless you count my T-Rex Viper), but my understanding is that this was modeled in excruciating detail after the original Shinei or however you say it. Besides that, and a vibrato, it has tone prints, to super flexible for that exact Bridge of Sighs or whatever ver mode you need.

So far so good...and this major screw up: WTF is the Vox pedal doing in the middle of all four of those pedals?!?!?!?!?1. It just screams 'I want to hit the knobs/switched on the Vibe or the Dual drive. Really - Move that to the very outside of the board or tell you bind your feet like a Chinese woman.

Next, T-Rex dual drive. No comment.

Rat - always in style, but I note the extremely low drive setting. Not knowing what you are using it for, can't judge. But it's probably some sad hippie rock that you use that red strap guitar for....

And dirt followed up with a classic GE-7 with a nice little mid bump. Solo boost for home use I suspect?

Vibe first, Vox style Wah, followed by three dirt modes and an EQ. Pretty textbook.

Moving to the back row. Waza Chorus. Modern classic. Nice.

Now - not sure what to say about the Subnup. Interesting settings. Equal parts dry, sub and up. Not sure about the location either. I'd say this should go first on principle, as a pitch effect. But explain a little more about where it really is.

Next up, Delay and Reverb.

Never heard of the Rubberneck - but Holy Hell! That is a mother &%$%# of an analog delay!!!!

The Trinity is a cool slightly extended TC Hall of fame with a couple of extra Ambience settings I believe. Worship player perhaps?

All followed by a Polytune at the end.

All in all, a really nice board with a few rare choices, but nice choices. I'm gonna watch some vids on that delay box though!

Nicely done. Now go fix that abomination of a guitar strap. You REALLY need to be careful when going jacquard style with a strap if it isn't an acoustic. I have 30+ guitars and ONE jacquard strap that was really carefully chosen.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    Ok I'll play. My play out rig from tonight. Front of the Amp a Wampler Ergo Compressor and a Nobels ODR 1. Through the loop Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus,Boss DD 6 delay and a Strymon Blue Sky also running a buffer for the loop and have tye Amp channel switch. Amp is my Mesa Subway Rocket. Clip https://youtu.be/ghlrBV94iTA?si=j3tDOuUAYWoJwLuJ Click image for larger version

Name:	20240305_192634.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	6273084 Click image for larger version

Views:	91
ID:	6273085
    First off, crappy photo. The lines-a-skew factor with angles and verticals hurts my head. Stop trying to be freaking artsy. Line it up with the tile, and lose the table or whatever in the shot. Is it too much to just take a freaking vertical pic down on a board? Apparently so.

Next - where did you take this shot? In some defunct out of business 70's Kmart or something? Those tile colors - WTF?

As for the cables, Medusa called, she wants her snake hair back. I got two words for you: Zip Tie.

The prefab board - looks nice, don't know who makes it. Of course, you aren't really using it, are you? I see a whole bunch of input outputs at the top of the board. They are probably Bly there for a reason. Use them!

And the dead space in the north east quadrant. What is that? Sacred Native American burial ground or something? Put something there! I know - how about a GREAT BIG BOOST!!!!!! Because we seriously can't hear the guitar in any of your clips.

The more I look at this the more I think it does not need anywhere near that much real estate for those few pedals.

It sure as hell is not sexy enough to deserve two pics! You need to put that ego compressor on your own skull.

Now for the pedals...

Mini Ego Comp - Nice always on option. Have the big one myself.

Nobles OD - the other Green Overdrive. You think you are ready for Nashville? Seriously, nice choice again. Too many screamers out there. I don't see these often enough.

Buffer? For those few pedals. Seriously? Buff my bald head.

Then A Rocktron Chorus? Way cheap up a nice start with a gaudy old chorus. Spent all your money on that giant board you are using about 40% of...

Boss DD-6/7/8/whatever. A standard.

And then Strymon. I would typically say this is pretentious, but I know you are a worship player, so I guess it is required. Then again, I have seen some of the shacks you play in, so I'm back to pretentious. Then again, wood church shack probably kills any natural reverb....so it might take Strymon to deliver some heavenly verb.

You need to take this and get a Pedal train of the appropriate size, all in one line.

Ego > Nobles > NEW Chorus > Boss > Strymon > Done. And then no need for all that cable mess either. 4 patch cables and then one to the amp, set the Mesa with on the ground.

Seriously - get a CE5 or something.

You have 5 pedals on a board that can hold twelve. Give some other people room on stage! You don't need it.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    I will get to both of these as time permits. Likely this evening...

Leave a comment:

• marcello252
    replied

Name:	IMG_20240306_110142.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6273110
    I wanna play this game too, this is my home board, the one I use the most these days

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    He's not going to like that mess of cables....

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied
    Ok I'll play. My play out rig from tonight. Front of the Amp a Wampler Ergo Compressor and a Nobels ODR 1. Through the loop Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus,Boss DD 6 delay and a Strymon Blue Sky also running a buffer for the loop and have tye Amp channel switch. Amp is my Mesa Subway Rocket. Clip https://youtu.be/ghlrBV94iTA?si=j3tDOuUAYWoJwLuJ Click image for larger version

Views:	94
ID:	6273084 Click image for larger version

Views:	91
ID:	6273085

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    sorry, i honestly meant no disrespect to your wife by not referring to her as such. my bad.

as far as hanging with sara blakely, i have no idea who that is so im assuming i dont care
    None taken, just updating your database. Contrary to popular belief, people do marry me!

Sara Blakely invented Spanx and is a bajillionaire.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    sorry, i honestly meant no disrespect to your wife by not referring to her as such. my bad.

as far as hanging with sara blakely, i have no idea who that is so im assuming i dont care

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    right, this is where you come for acebob abuse. its all in good fun. just like when he puts on his girlfriends wig and spanx to strut on stage
    My girlfriend has her own Hair appliances. She would never let me use any of them. (FYI she is also my wife now).

And as for the Spanx, you laugh, but when Steve Dallas is hanging on a Yacht with Sara Blakely in the Gulf of Mexico, we'll see who is laughing. She lives in Clearwater...

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by AllHailDIO View Post
    OHHH well I feel like a dumbarse! Guess that part was accurate after all!

Sorry about that! Reading post 1, I absolutely LOVE this idea! That said, Aceman, when you targeted me about having sooo many gain pedals, I was like, damn he's right I laughed! Now re-reading this all, I'm laughing harder!

Thank you Aceman!
    When I read your response, I laughed because you obviously didn't know where you were. You wanted "Let's SEE you pedalboards" thread - LOL. There you would have gotten all sorts of kudos for a tasty dirt stable. Here? Oh hell no...

Boost, Transparent, OD, Distortion: Pick three!

That said - you may want to scan some of the previous responses from page one on. Entertaining reading...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X