banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMP/HBE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    My current Church board, In the front a Boss CS-3 compressor and a Wampler Belle OD, In the loop Buffer, DD7 Boss Delay and a Neunaber Seriphim verb.
    Pray for forgiveness, my son...

[review forthcoming]

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Glad to see that Carvin footswitch front and center. Looks like a decent straightforward workingman board.
    Agreed. I’ll wait for the feedback about it needing to be tidier and stuff but you could certainly spend much more money and not do much more. The order of the pedals make sense as well.

For worship the DD7 may not be the flavor of the month but it will get the work done and same with the Neunaber. I would definitely have external tap tempo, though. Not sure the buffer is necessary with several boss pedals.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    My current Church board, In the front a Boss CS-3 compressor and a Wampler Belle OD, In the loop Buffer, DD7 Boss Delay and a Neunaber Seriphim verb.
    Glad to see that Carvin footswitch front and center. Looks like a decent straightforward workingman board.

Leave a comment:

• Ascension
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post

Yes, but you need a microphone to pick up the hose and your mouth.
    As I expected.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    My POD Go has one - but it just doesn't cut it.

I can run straight into my Pod Go can't I? Guitar > TB > POD Go/Marshall....
    Yes, but you need a microphone to pick up the hose and your mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    My POD Go has one - but it just doesn't cut it.

I can run straight into my Pod Go can't I? Guitar > TB > POD Go/Marshall....

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    And, back to "How is the MXR Talkbox?"
    Awesome! I tried a lot of them, and I like the MXR the best for a few reasons. It has built-in gain, so it replicates early talkbox tones when the guitarist had the pedal going into a guitar amp or had the box after the dirt in the signal chain. When activated, it shuts off the rest of the downstream signal chain. I have mine in the front of the chain. When we do Sweet Emotion, I can bang out the intro, when done I can simply step on the talkbox toggle, and the rest of my downstream signal chain is already set for the verse, and the talkbox shuts off with no tap dancing needed.

Pros: The audience flips out when you use a talkbox, the sound, the tube in your mouth the whole thing has some great pageantry.
    Cons: If you have a one-channel amp like my JCM2000 or JC120H, you are going to need another amplification source for practice and live, PA, powered speaker, or combo amp.
    To note: The H9/H90 has a super realistic talkbox feature that sounds spot on. My band said they like the pageantry of the actual talkbox. I am ready to tell them to get over it and use the H90, one less piece of gear to set up.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    And, back to "How is the MXR Talkbox?"

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    The bag is my grab-and-go effects. Once I knew I was sticking with the band I brought my main board. When I record I will lose the Blue Box, Liverpool, and the Talkbox

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    IS this an adaptation of the original bagged mess, or something new? Just for indoor recording use.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words. The cable mess is because pedals are rapidly coming on and off the board, as we try to nail down our sound and arrangements for the recording session. Yes, you are correct. The Talkbox is first in the chain. I do not want any of the other effects stacked on top of the talkbox sound. The gain is next in the signal. The order really doesn't matter, seeing they do not get stacked into each other; I only use the MOOG Delay for gain staging. The MOOG Delay is modeled after an Echoplex, so it has a built-in variable boost. I have a healthy boost set on it with an almost unnoticeable delay to thicken the signal. It is a lead boost for my classic rock stuff and an always-on-gain stage for my metal gig. The H9 and H90 are all of my modulation, delay, and reverb. The EXP pedal controls both Eventides. I can do things like add reverb as the tremolo rate increases or add more mids as I increase distortion in a lead. The one thing you were wrong about is the Wampler is my core tone, not the Liverpool, even with the classic rock gig.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Alrighty, Up, coffee, dog walked. Here we go!

So, to start with, and this should be no surprise - we have three types of completely mismatched carpet. As always, Have some pride in the presentation. A chef doesn't throw out the food on whatever plate bowl and random spoons, forks etc do they? You shouldn't either.

And of course, a mess of cables, wires, tubes etc on the left. AT least untangle those pedal intestines before they knot up and constipate your tone.

I really don't like that blue cable coming off the top right of the Morley. Get a 90 degree for that and run it under or something.

Hard to know the start stop here, But Talk/Volume/Wah (I believe) are on the left so I assume chain starts there.

Can't judge on the Talk Box, but I'm thinking of getting one. I'll wait for reviews, but that should be off the board.

So..On with the show:

1. I dig Morley, so a Vol/Wah out of the gate is cool.

2. Two, count'em, two Eventides, one big and one small right up front. That is a heap of tone crafting right there. I like them up front and I'm guessing they are used most often. I'll assume that is the expression pedal for one of the 'Tides.

Nice that both expressions are on the board!

3. On the backline I see a lot of noise makers. I'd guess that is actually the "front line and the white cable is a guitar in?
    - Liverpool is one of Bruce's foundational sounds, and of cource, the Tech 21 is a stylish pedal. Kudos. Vox is kind my go to pop-rock tone too.
    - Distortion+ is one of Bruces favorite old dirt sounds also. I note it is turned up pretty good! Not my bag, but that's a matter of taste. It's gotta sound though.
    - Dracary's, a killer mega Distortion. Never met a Wampler pedal I didn't like.
    - Blue Box, A classic. I would have put this first in the dirt line, but if it works there for you, cool. I'm not a fuzz guy.
    * While this is not MY choice for a ultra flexible line of dirt...I'd go TS9, Marshal IAB, Suhr Riot, and maybe a Metal Muff, it is a super flexible set up. Really like the line up. And normally I'df want the dirt up front...but if you are really using the H9/90's, makes sense.

4. Moog Delay - Not sure where it is in the chain based on position, but I'll assume after the dirt. I like it. Can't have enough delays. Whether used for general fattening (on all the time), a tiny always on slap for ambience, or a "special effect" that is used one a show, or just something with knobs immediately accessible, nice addition. Again, I'm not a Moog guy, but can't dispute the awesome of their stuff.

I'm not gonna judge on the strip on the back, because a) it works and b) I've done it too. But get a real power source. I can imagine that mix of ancient to ultra modern having issues.

I'd like to point out that I really dig the range of vintage to newer to ultra modern pedals here. This says "I know who I am, and this is the sound I want. I am not a fan boi or a cork sniffer. I'll get what I want, and use it to what I need"

All in all great board. As Bruce says - "Could I rock this board?" Yes, Yes I could.
    Last edited by Aceman; 08-19-2023, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Okay, Bob there have been lots of changes have at it.

Reserved for later this evening.

I'll give two hints now:

+ Eventide

- Blue cord going into the Volume pedal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X