banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accept "Balls to the Wall" = Tubescreamer into Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LLL View Post

I've found what helps (and not just a placebo effect) with these non-tube amp sims (stompbox, plugin or otherwise - digital/analog/whatever) which are close to the real deal, is to put a little real tube magic in the signal path.

Hence, I will use my UA 2-610 (with NOS Mullard 12AX7s and CV4004s on both channels) either before or after the amp sim (could be a stomp a la AMT, could be a plugin a la VST or UAD or Mercuriall); crank the input gain up and get real tube gooeyness in the signal path.
    Not exactly practical for plugging into the PA to play live. Of course, after it goes through the board, the IEM mixer and IEMs, you're often lucky to just be able to hear yourself. Our Presonus system went down last night and took 2 hours to be back to almost usable, definitely not thrilled with the earmix system we have, not sure if the problem is hardware, software, or primate.

Comment

• Originally posted by devastone View Post

Not exactly practical for plugging into the PA to play live. Of course, after it goes through the board, the IEM mixer and IEMs, you're often lucky to just be able to hear yourself. Our Presonus system went down last night and took 2 hours to be back to almost usable, definitely not thrilled with the earmix system we have, not sure if the problem is hardware, software, or primate.
      So you are saying the IEM died and the rose from the dead miraculously?
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• I'm saying I left the bar after 20 minutes of waiting for it to get back up.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

So you are saying the IEM died and the rose from the dead miraculously?
          I don't think it was miraculous, miraculous would constitute being able to hear clearly and dial in a pleasing mix, this was a band-aid and patch job.

Comment

I don't think it was miraculous, miraculous would constitute being able to hear clearly and dial in a pleasing mix, this was a band-aid and patch job.
            Easter humor attempt
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Easter humor attempt
              Oh, I totally got it, especially since it was a rehearsal at church It was still more of a bunny with a basket of cracked eggs

Comment

Oh, typically used for studio. Although surely there's a non-starved-plate 12AX7 sort of unit out there that is portable (small tube preamp) that could be utilized live.

I've never been subjected to IEM type staging thankfully. I'm not a fan of that concept... don't think music is supposed be presented in an ultra-quiet, sterile pinky-finger-up sort of environment... I get it but don't agree - I mean if they want that kind of listening enviro then just tune a radio to contemporary christian and pipe it through the PA. I mean hell, classical concerts aren't even doing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LLL View Post

Oh, typically used for studio. Although surely there's a non-starved-plate 12AX7 sort of unit out there that is portable (small tube preamp) that could be utilized live.

I've never been subjected to IEM type staging thankfully. I'm not a fan of that concept... don't think music is supposed be presented in an ultra-quiet, sterile pinky-finger-up sort of environment... I get it but don't agree - I mean if they want that kind of listening enviro then just tune a radio to contemporary christian and pipe it through the PA. I mean hell, classical concerts aren't even doing that.
                  I understand, and I don't really like IEMs and no amps either, but it is the world I deal with. But, all I have to do is plug a XLR cable into my GT, why would I want to complicate that with something else when the audience or I will not be able to tell a difference. We still do play "live" and if you see pretty much any arena band these days, they are living in IEMs, granted, I'm guessing theirs sounds worlds better than mine, but it is the way it is done now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    I'm saying I left the bar after 20 minutes of waiting for it to get back up.
                    That'd never been my move unless I can get away with it -usually if their is a problem at a venue that the soundman is having issues with, I'm volunteered or volunteer to help troubleshoot -sometimes with a guitar still on my shoulder -As I'm not good at drinking more than a couple before a gig anyways even if I've pregamed and sand bagged my liver for such a night... I lost a real tolerance 20 years ago.

Comment

• I was taking the perspective of the audience.

Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I was taking the perspective of the audience.
                        Ha

Comment

I was taking the perspective of the audience.
                          It was a rehearsal, no audience members were denied. If this had been for "reals" we would have grabbed acoustic guitars or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X