Compressor comparison/opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor comparison/opinions?

I really think a compressor would help my clean tones--I'm surprised to even learn clean tones are a thing--and I wonder how much difference there is between optical compressors and DynaComp/Ross type compressors. What pedal do you like and why? I've taken a liking to building pedals recently, but if I can pick up a used Boss or MXR on Reverb for $50, that's so much easier and quicker and no more expensive than sourcing all the parts and soldering them together myself.

As far as very good inexpensive compressors: Boss CS and MXR Dyna comp are the gold standards for 80-100 price point -exactly what you need -no more
    Mid priced? Keeley 2/4 knob and Xotic SP -slightly cleaner versions of Boss and MXR
    High end? Greer Lamplighter and Wampler Ego -feature rich and super clean gain struture.
    Ultra high End? Origin Cali76 -basically a studio grade comp in a pedal box.

Honestly, personally the very cheap compressors (Like Behringer, Danelectro etc) are probably fine to jam with but the cheap compressors tend to be noisier and not able to run a unity gain or above -but may be a good way to cheaply assess your desire for a better one or not.

**Edit -I put Keeley 1 knob*** fixed.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 02-18-2021, 03:15 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Big fan of the Wampler EGO and the Keeley 4-knob...

Comment

I like Keeley and they have come out with a studio grade compressor in the last few years.

Comment

Compressors do help your clean tones!

With gain you already even out peaky sounds. A compressor is like that, but without the crunch. If you're switching from single note lines to chords and back, a compressor can be used to keep everything at an even volume when clean. It also makes modulation effects (flanger/phasing/chorus) pop out.

A cheap compressor that does a decent job is the Marshall ED-1. Usually you can pick 'em up for around 30-40$. I used one for years before upgrading to an Xotic SP compressor which I find a little bit quieter and has a better bypass.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like Ross circuit compressors so long as they include some method for adding back in some high end. I don't much care WHICH method for that they use, though.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

This is your one-stop shop for pretty much anything you'd want to know about comps.
              Quite possibly, too damn much.
              There is a FAQ and a Top Pics link at the top of the page.

compressor, pedal, effects, boutique, limiter, leveler, tube, valve, review, stompbox, bass, guitar, compression, recording, stage

Comment

Yes and no. Dude casts a wide net, to be sure, but his tastes aren't universal and he's typically coming at thingsfrom a bass-first perspective and (imo and ime) the needs and uses for compression on bass are different than guitar.

Still a good resource.

Originally posted by Drak View Post
                This is your one-stop shop for pretty much anything you'd want to know about comps.
                Quite possibly, too damn much.

http://www.ovnilab.com/
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I've had a love/hate relationship with compressors for years. The Boss CS compressors are really good and I may have kept mine had I fiddled with it more but nope, sold it. I decided to get another one but went for the only one that I actually liked when I played through it years ago (when it was a 2-knob), and that is the Keeley 4-knob. The blend wins it for me. I love the fact that I can adjust that so it's not overly squishy but does what I want it to and I still have the dynamics I want. It's more than what you mentioned in your post but IMO, it's highly worth it.

Comment

^ All true, and he mentions most of that in his FAQ.
                    AAMOF, I believe he mentions nearly any remotely decent comp will work well for most guitar purposes.
                    Bass usage, much more demanding.
                    But still, true dat.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                      I like Ross circuit compressors so long as they include some method for adding back in some high end. I don't much care WHICH method for that they use, though.
                      I could be wrong -but I believe the Xotic compressor is a straight Vintage Ross clone with a better buffer.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I love the Vise Grip and the BYOC 5 Knob compressor. i find a blend knob really helps maintain the initial attack of the note. I tend to like compression on acoustic guitar, too.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Okay. Cool?

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I could be wrong -but I believe the Xotic compressor is a straight Vintage Ross clone with a better buffer.

Comment

I use Keeley. It has a ratio control, threshold and make up gain, which are requirements for me to use a compressor. For clean guitar, having control over the knee of the compressor is also a huge help. Soft knee is generally better.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                              Okay. Cool?

Yessir, the Ross circuit is considered the greatest of the vintage guitar pedal compressor circuits.

Comment

Working...
                              X