No announcement yet.

Confessions of a Klon Centwhore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just build your own Klone. The circuit isn't that hard, and the parts are easy to get.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jimzucco View Post
      ... (I happen to be a mental health counselor).
      Just getting into pedals, and a counselor, have you met our Little Pigbacon?

Comment

Relevant: https://youtu.be/8tjQXTMfxYY
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
          This video really only proves one sure thing to me -that all of the pedals on the market are very good to great

-I wouldn't get wrapped up in the differences from this video's methodology -because they are not comparing the tone knob or the tone knob at different gain settings which depending on the pedal is always a huge part of dialing in a clone -one pedals "fat" may live at another pedals "honk" on the tone dial and gain dial positions. Also -a more neutral pickup and a HB would be useful -I find the Strat to be distracting in my mind often -because my brain goes into "is this Hendrix tone" mode

but to Andertons point -that would be a long *ss video..

I think a more interesting video would be to try and match these pedals tone to the original Klon at a few different settings -as that would give you relative performance which would be a scientific result with different conclusions -as trying to do an absolute preference of a pedals "best" setting is a highly subjective and personal experience -but also interesting.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Another great klone is the Mythical Overdrive from Rimrock. Sounds fabulous.
            If you have the budget there's even a fine-tuned Vintage Spec version made with NOS parts.
            +1

the mythical overdrive is awesome. i've a/b'ed it with a soul food and a real klon. thumbs up!
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Yeah, not a ton of blue sky between them.

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

This video really only proves one sure thing to me -that all of the pedals on the market are very good to great

---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Bang for the buck, the Soul Food is awesome. The Ceriatone version is also very nice. I have a couple of KTR's that I will always keep. I could tell no difference between them and the silver Klon I had. I got an amazing offer for my Klon and let it go. The RYRA is also very nice as is the Archer with the Jeff Beck Mod.

If I were doing it all over.....and was buying a true Klon, I would get the KTR. If I wanted the look and sound of the original Klon I would go Ceriatone. If I wanted the best value to sound ratio, its the Soul Food. If I want a great replica without caring what it looks like and all that other stuff, The RYRA, Archer, Bondi Sick As, Tumnus Deluxe all deliver. I know I forgot some other great pedals but you get the idea.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I use a BYOC Silver Pony, which is apparently an accurate copy. It sounds great to me, and I built it! (You can buy one pre-built, too).
                  This is a Silver Pony II that I built last weekend. I call it "Klonehenge".

It sounds great! I've been pleased with the stuff from BYOC. I have built 12 of their pedals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_135711.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6082099

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

This is a Silver Pony II that I built last weekend. I call it "Klonehenge".
                    That name alone is worth the price of admission. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

That name alone is worth the price of admission. Nice job.
                      Agreed - that name deserves to be out on the market somewhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My Mosky Golden Horsie seems to be working just fine...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                          The Soul Food is a great pedal. I knew it when I tried it out in a store with a Squier Strat with Duncan Designed single coils through a Chinese Peavey Bandit. It sounded shockingly good.

Now I use a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, which is even better. Of course, it suffers in comparison to the original version that had the Tumnus graphic. Units built before the change are worlds better.

Of course I am joking. I do not subscribe to that kind of nonsense. Wampler says it is the same thing inside the box, and I believe them.
                          I have both a new and original graphic Tumnus, and they sound identical to my ears (as they should). The new one lives on the board, while the original is in my pedal drawer to use with other amps for recording. I figure I'm covered if they ever start selling for stupid $$$.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You can always grab a KTR and be down with it.
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Most of the Klones are so close. I have heard differences side by side, but unless they were actually being compared side by side, they all do essentially the same things. It is so strange the minute differences we all obsess over.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What is it supposed to do anyway?

Is there an example of an iconic song that makes you go "oh, definitely a Klon, couldn't do it any other way"??
                                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                                X