No announcement yet.

Suggestions boost/overdrive for Strat bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedals with a fixed mid-bump cut the bass comparatively, right?
    So I’d vote for an EQ or something like the full-sized TC Spark, with its bass and treble controls, as well as the three-way switch.

Comment

i dont think that first statement is true. some do, some dont.

Comment

Anything that raises the mids in proportion to the bass and treble by definition lowers the bass and treble in proportion to the mids. So three-knob overdrives with Volume, Drive, and Tone that have an innate mid-boost will result in bass being less pronounced. Which is why people use Tube Screamers to tighten up their low-end. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Or the 10 band. Adds 4 bands of EQ and a gain boost.
          IMO the 10 isn't as good as a front-booster as the mxr6.
          I had them all at one point and really thought the mxr6 was the best of the main brands for a boost. It's band centers are closer together making it more fine-tune friendly in the crucial mid-range area needed for guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            timmy, get yourself a timmy. you can add basically no drive for a clean boost or add a fair amount of dirt if you want. there can be basically no tone change if you want, it can be that transparent. there is bass control that is pre gain so you shape the tone there, then the treble is post gain to smooth out the things you dont like. the mxr version is readily available and sounds very good

The manual [ or what there is of it ] explains the three position switch which along with the tone controls is the key to this pedal.

Everything JEREMY sais is good.
            THis could be considered an always on pedal.
            Bought the MXR Timmy just before Covid Lockdown last year.
            Really like the bass adjust as it can really tighten the lower end.
            I'm using it straight into the amp or to push my DLS.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Don't let it fool you, the SD Pickup Booster does have the ability to give you fatter humbucker type of tone/response from your single coils but that's not all it does, it has the ability to retain your true Strat-y tone while also adding some much needed volume boosting. I've used the Pickup Booster pedal with both my Strats as well as with a Tele to great effect, without changing what I love about the tone of those guitars. And yes I really like the idea of trying the FORZA, honestly I feel like that pedal gets unfairly overlooked a lot and I've had some killer results with that too. Using the Forza along with my MIM Tele into an Orange 30 watt head is one of my favorite tones I've ever gotten.

Comment

I was gonna say just go with a TS9 - but OP's eq/clean/etc makes me think Timmy is the better choice.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well even with the plethora of good suggestions, I had to start somewhere, so I ordered an MXR Timmy. Everything I’ve read says it’s made to push a roaring Marshall, and combined with its very reasonable price and the fact that it was a quality low gain tone too makes me think it will be a good fit.
                  "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

Keeley Katana,.It's a clean boost, if you need grit, you just pull out the volume knob and it becomes a top boost.

Comment

Originally posted by ebagjones View Post
                      Well even with the plethora of good suggestions, I had to start somewhere, so I ordered an MXR Timmy. Everything I’ve read says it’s made to push a roaring Marshall, and combined with its very reasonable price and the fact that it was a quality low gain tone too makes me think it will be a good fit.
                      The Timmy is a great drive pedal, although I've never used it alone as a boost. Let us know how that turns out!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

'TC Electronic Spark Booster the large one' - definitely. The Fat Boost option can do incredible things to a Strat bridge pickup. You can further tailor the sound with volume and gain plus active treble and bass knobs. Wonderful pedal and pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                        X