banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Always-On Dirt Pedal (for me)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Always-On Dirt Pedal (for me)?

OK, it has been quite awhile since I searched for the ultimate drive pedal. Generally, there are 2 that I use...either a Tube Screamer-type, or a Klone. But I am not after the mid bump of the TS. What I'd love is the ultimate Plexi pedal that I can keep on all the time, and clean up to do legit complex chords (and jazzy soloing) through a Fender amp (Deluxe). So, sort of a Marshall in a Box, without the overt mid hump of a TS. I don't want a ton of gain, but just enough so power chords sound good.

I am after sustain more than gain. This pedal can't compress the signal to hell- I want dynamics. So, suggest things to try (or at least read about until I can try). This would be with humbuckers, not singles. And the neck pickup tone is really the most important for me.

Let's hear what ya got! I will most certainly ask more questions, or ask for clarification. I wanna narrow this down, but I have no idea what is out there now.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Well I play through a Marshall, so that’s my base crunchy tone. I use a distortion pedal for leads (currently a Metal Zone so it cuts through).

But I did a gig recently and used the amp that was there. It was a Fender Deluxe. So I used an OCD clone (Joyo Ultimate Drive) as my base tone. I had the gain almost all the way down. Then I ran the Metal Zone into that for leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't help ya. I have a modded-to-1968 spec Plexi type Marshall.

But I have yet to find a really good Plexi-in-a-box stomp; let alone one that jives with a Fender Deluxe circuit (I have an original '66-67).

I did have a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe at one time years ago but I sold it. It was "pretty good" at best, but not "great".

I wonder if AMT has something along those lines. Their JCM800 M2 is pretty kick ass.

Comment

Ramble FX Marvel Drive.....has the parallel gain stages you would find on a 4 hole + jumped channel setup.

Comment

I have been loving my Wampler Plexi Drive Mini.

It has a mid push switch on it (sims goosing it with a TS. I might make a vid or two today. Stay tuned. Until then...

Watch the whole vid. He does singles/humbuckers and Fender/Vox and Low/High gain

Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Mine is the Big Muff Ram’s head. Plenty of sustain, maybe too compressed for you, but I dig it.
            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Is there nothing in the HX Effects that is Plexi like? (I just looked, I guess not)

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              I have been loving my Wampler Plexi Drive Mini.

It has a mid push switch on it (sims goosing it with a TS. I might make a vid or two today. Stay tuned. Until then...

Watch the whole vid. He does singles/humbuckers and Fender/Vox and Low/High gain

I’m going to offer a slightly different option, the PlexiDrive Deluxe. Same “engine” but full B/M/T and the TS is foot switchable and has a combined gain/volume pot. If you don’t gun it, it’s really dynamic and Brian uses the Fender tone as his baseline for designing pedals. (He tweaks with Vox, Marshall, etc. but the pedal -> Fender is his base). Mincer, you use a Tonemaster Deluxe, right? Too bad you are half a continent away, I’d let you borrow some of these to see if they are a good fit.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                I'm going to offer a slightly different option, the PlexiDrive Deluxe. Same “engine” but full B/M/T and the TS is foot switchable and has a combined gain/volume pot. If you don’t gun it, it’s really dynamic and Brian uses the Fender tone as his baseline for designing pedals. (He tweaks with Vox, Marshall, etc. but the pedal -> Fender is his base). Mincer, you use a Tonemaster Deluxe, right? Too bad you are half a continent away, I’d let you borrow some of these to see if they are a good fit.
                You know, I was thinking that as well. I have never played one though, m so sticking to what I have.

Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

catalinbred dls is the closest ive gotten, better at 18v. good eq and the internal switch changes the voicing

Comment

You guys don't disappoint here- I have some videos to watch!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I will share a few with you. When I read your initial post, the first thing that came to mind was the Ethos TWE-1. It is a fantastic pedal with a few options that do a lot so it is incredibly versatile, sounds great and really works on any kind of amp. In my heart of hearts, I really believe it is a pedal made for you and one you would love. i bought one a while back and absolutely love it.

DryBell "The Engine" is another pedal that I feel could work well for you.

The Mad Professor Supreme

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        Ramble FX Marvel Drive.....has the parallel gain stages you would find on a 4 hole + jumped channel setup.
                        ^ This. IME the Marvel Drive is the only thing so far that sounds and responds like the real thing. Has Presence to manage the top end with hums or singles and you can control the headroom with the 18v / 9v switch.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

^ This. IME the Marvel Drive is the only thing so far that sounds and responds like the real thing. Has Presence to manage the top end with hums or singles and you can control the headroom with the 18v / 9v switch.

Holy crap! That sounds awesome. I certainly don't need another drive pedal but this is making me rethink that. And it's available it black, white, red, and purple. How cool is that?

Comment

See need to do a “pass the plexi pedal”. We all contribute a pedal and we all get to try them out.

Plexidrive
                            DLS
                            Marvel
                            Charlie Brown
                            Plexitone

higher gain:
                            Pinnacle
                            Riverside
                            OCD
                            Angry Charlie

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              OK, it has been quite awhile since I searched for the ultimate drive pedal. Generally, there are 2 that I use...either a Tube Screamer-type, or a Klone. But I am not after the mid bump of the TS. What I'd love is the ultimate Plexi pedal that I can keep on all the time, and clean up to do legit complex chords (and jazzy soloing) through a Fender amp (Deluxe). So, sort of a Marshall in a Box, without the overt mid hump of a TS. I don't want a ton of gain, but just enough so power chords sound good.

I am after sustain more than gain. This pedal can't compress the signal to hell- I want dynamics. So, suggest things to try (or at least read about until I can try). This would be with humbuckers, not singles. And the neck pickup tone is really the most important for me.

Let's hear what ya got! I will most certainly ask more questions, or ask for clarification. I wanna narrow this down, but I have no idea what is out there now.
                              It sounds like you just described exactly what the Fulltone OCD does. I used one similarly for like, 11 years.

As an alternative, the Vick Audio Tree of Life OD blends the OCD circuit and the Zen Drive circuit and it provides a lot more range as a result.

You literally have hundreds of options though.

Comment

Working...
                              X