banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Always-On Dirt Pedal (for me)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lightspeed seems more TS-based than anything. I think I have that sound covered.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Ordered! From a friend.
      Curious to see what you think of it.

Comment

I play through Marshall amps as well, but this little guy adds even more Marshall goodness.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i have the mk2 which is a little different than the current mk3. the mk3 has two modes, the mk2 is kinda between the two. i love the super bass setting of the mk3, very jtm45 like with my stuff
          I like the Super Lead setting. In fact, that’s the Marshall in a box sound I like. Last night I had to order some pots from Sweetwater and ended up adding an Xotic SL Drive to the order. I might try a DLS too.

Comment

the sl is more plexi like with the signature marshall upper mids, but as a fender guy the sb is more familiar

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The Lightspeed seems more TS-based than anything.

Comment

Just ordered the Ethos. While it is supposed to be more Trainwreck-y than Marshall-y, and it has more gain than most Plexis, the basic gain structure is there. And it is one of the only pedal demos where they go out of the way to show how touch-sensitive it is. I got a pretty good price, so I can flip it if I really don't get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Just ordered the Ethos. While it is supposed to be more Trainwreck-y than Marshall-y, and it has more gain than most Plexis, the basic gain structure is there. And it is one of the only pedal demos where they go out of the way to show how touch-sensitive it is. I got a pretty good price, so I can flip it if I really don't get on with it.
                  Did you get your pedal yet? If so, how do you like it?
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I did. My initial thought is that it *does* clean up well. The base tone isn't significantly different than what I already have access to, though. In other words, it is a good overdrive pedal, but not transformative. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it yet.

Comment

Mincer, what do you wish the Ethos did differently?

I feel like the differences in a lot of these circuits become more apparent at higher gain levels, perhaps more than you typically use?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                        Mincer, what do you wish the Ethos did differently?

I feel like the differences in a lot of these circuits become more apparent at higher gain levels, perhaps more than you typically use?
                        That may be it. It's general 'sound' is covered by other pedals or Fractal models that I have access to. It wasn't that it was bad...it is just that sound was covered. While it does clean up a lot with the volume knob, it isn't as 'touch sensitive' with picking dynamics. It is either not there, or full on past a certain threshold. I don't use a ton of gain- and it has a lot more than I would ever use (gain about 9:00 is about the most I'd use). So, essentially, a TS pedal without the mid boost, and with more bass.

I don't mind trying it though, if it helps me figure out what I want.

Comment

I use a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and use a Timmy with single coils (Tele and Strat).
                          I also use with humbuckers, but it sounds better with single coil pickups.

Comment

Both a Timmy and OCD are good at this, but those are sounds I have more or less covered. I might try a combination of pedals and overdriven 6v6s to get me where I want to go. Or, just concentrate on something else!

Comment

Have you considered the Zen Drive (or clone)? There are also a couple Dumble In Box pedals that might give you something different than what you already have.

Also, I recently discovered a company called Dirty Haggard Audio. They make a pedal called the "797" which is a modified, finely tuned variation on the DOD 250 circuit. The 797 is handwired in the US, sounds fantastic through the whole gain range and costs about $70.00 new. Game changer pedal for me and I really like that it has a different character than the typical TS, Klon or Blusebreaker pedals many people use for low gain OD.

Comment

I have a tc electronics mini spark that I love a lot because it’s a 20 fb boost that adds a little compression and shimmer when I kick it on.

I think you should look at a fortin-33, however. I think it’s a dark horse that could be up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X