No announcement yet.

Do You Use a Wah for Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a live clip from the 90's metal days where I used a wah. My old Carvin DC 200 a JCM 900 50 and a George Dennis Wah with a Rockman compressor sustainer in the front.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Wah with Metal is like mixing Rap with Metal. It usually sucks very very hard.

Stoner Desert Metal is the only place I think it fits in Metal
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Nah. As a bandpass filter it’s all over the place in metal as it helps leads slice through the rest of the band. The trick is to not get carried away actually wahwahwahwahwah-ing* with it.

* also known as Hammetting the wah.
        Last edited by some_dude; 08-13-2021, 07:42 AM.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

Nah. As a bandpass filter it’s all over the place in metal as it helps leads slice through the rest of the band. The trick is to not get carried away actually wahwahwahwahwah-ing* with it.

* also known as Hammetting the wah.
          Oh, good point -I have no issue with using it like Mick Ronson did (Cocked wah) as a filter to poke holes in the mix or light application.

Indeed, it's the Kirk Hammet thing I get totally annoyed with.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Q-Zone has been much fun these last few weeks. I assumed a dark-thick setting would be my cup, but it's actually the opposite, higher and fairly narrow with a healthy boost.

Liking it so much I decided wth and got me a Petrucci Wah for $140 from Alto Music. It was an open-box/demo but was inventoried as brand-new on July 13th, so it's only 1 month old.

Can't wait to spend some time on it this weekend! I will open it up first just to ensure the stock settings match the manual JP settings, then just play it stock for awhile before tinkering.
            This thing is basically the rack wah in pedal form. Adjustable boost, Q, and 6-band EQ.

I've never been into the really vocalized wah wah wah thing.
            It probably just takes some practice to learn the slow sweeping effect and precise parking while trying to play well at the same time.

Do these need to be first in line or can I still run into a utility Boss pedal first then to the wah?
            (tuner or gate, or even line-selector)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              I've never been into the really vocalized wah wah wah thing.
              It probably just takes some practice to learn the slow sweeping effect and precise parking while trying to play well at the same time.
              IMO, learning to use wah is like learning to use vibrato… it’s going to sound bad before you figure out how to make it sound good. Just keep playing with it and eventually things will start to come together.

Do these need to be first in line or can I still run into a utility Boss pedal first then to the wah?
              (tuner or gate, or even line-selector)
              I run wah first because that’s how Jimi did it.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Blind Guardian makes good use of it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  Blind Guardian makes good use of it.

Didn't know them, but I think your right though, I watched a few vids....it's all over the place on their songs -but it's musical.

Comment

Didn't know them, but I think your right though, I watched a few vids....it's all over the place on their songs -but it's musical.
                    Of course it's all over the place. Two guitars and melodic power metal.

Comment

Working...
                    X