Parallel signal chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Au contraire, McChuckleton. Those guys know where its at.
    Yeah -I'm not taking to much to heart from the guy responsible for the single worst guitar solo in chart history

Skip to 3:00 for a refresher.....

Think I prefer Lil Wayne or Seagal

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

This version is even funnier

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, I totally dig Living Colour.

Back to the OP, it will be much easier to just get an multi fx unit, it may cost a little more up front, but will save worlds of headaches trying to find the one bad cable before a gig.

Comment

Good try, but I love that solo. Even Arsenio dug the live one!
          Let me be clear, I too dig Living Colour... They had a lot of greatness about them and Vernon had awesome riffs.

-but the Guitar solos are like when a kid learn to sweep pick furiously for the first time, his rig rundown is amazingly over complicated

-Oh yeah, the spandex is deadly serious.

Comment

Thats a fair critique of some of those solos, but there is a nervous energy there that really seems to fit the songs for me.

To most of us, that rig is nutso, but there is only one person on Earth qualified to determine whether its the right rig for Vernon Reid.

As for the Spandex, is was MTV in 1988. Lol.
            I mean his rig is like King Crimson and God Speed you black emperor combines their setups for a mega show........

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              Anyone running parallel signal chains? I'm looking into some different options for doing this. I play into a FRFR setup so I'm thinking it would need to be something like this:
              Guitar to splitter, splitter to Chain #1 and Chain #2
              Chain #1 - dirty
              Chain #2 - clean with FX
              Both Chains' outputs to a "combiner"... is this a thing? What's it actually called?
              "Combiner" to amp

I really want to get something like this going, and am debating some of these things. Are there pros and cons to digital vs analog? How do you arrange FX - like do you want 2 wahs, 2 compressors, etc or are some effects just "Master FX"?

Just some thoughts, and I welcome any opinions and experiences with parallel signal chains!
              Personally, sounds like way more work than I want to deal with at a gig. "Easiest" way would be in one of the units that can handle that type of routing internally, so it would just be a matter of programming in your spare time. I've run splits like that for bass (dual DI) or guitar to get a bigger tone, but I don't use many effects. Effects start making it crazy pretty quickly.

As always, decide what sound you want and work backwards from that because wanting to do something complex for the sake of doing something different is usually a recipe for frustration and disappointment.

Comment

Yes, "in the box" is much easier to deal with, and you can run through various routing possibilities very quickly.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  Anyone running parallel signal chains? I'm looking into some different options for doing this. I play into a FRFR setup so I'm thinking it would need to be something like this:
                  Guitar to splitter, splitter to Chain #1 and Chain #2
                  Chain #1 - dirty
                  Chain #2 - clean with FX
                  Both Chains' outputs to a "combiner"... is this a thing? What's it actually called?
                  "Combiner" to amp

I really want to get something like this going, and am debating some of these things. Are there pros and cons to digital vs analog? How do you arrange FX - like do you want 2 wahs, 2 compressors, etc or are some effects just "Master FX"?

Just some thoughts, and I welcome any opinions and experiences with parallel signal chains!
                  Are you meaning something like this?

Get the guaranteed best price on Switch Effects Pedals like the Lehle Parallel SW II True-Bypass mono/stereo FX line mixer at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

If you modded this and moved the loops south of the output -this would be perfect and include a master OD and buffer and switcher function, with a tuner loop.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-10-2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      This version is even funnier

Holy crap - that was so bad even I can't play it!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If listening to that is the worst thing that happens to us this week, well do fine.
                        It is important to have perspective indeed, it's pretty bad -but damn he went big, but he made an impact and made some very great, impactful, and memorable music in likely the darkest radio period for hard rock 86-91 -when the Yamaha DX-7 ruled everything.

But seriously -watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Holy crap - that was so bad even I can't play it!
                          It reminds me of when me and my friends first jammed in middle school in a basement and we traded imitating rock guitarist solos in a frantic fashion because we didn't know how to play actual solos yet -but because we knew punk rock stuff we could sweep pick really fast and do hammer ons.

Disclaimer: I understand Vernon Reid is a very good guitarist on the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Yeah, I totally dig Living Colour.

Back to the OP, it will be much easier to just get an multi fx unit, it may cost a little more up front, but will save worlds of headaches trying to find the one bad cable before a gig.
                            Yeah, seems to be so. It's a little overwhelming to decide, before trying anything, on something. I want to dabble with "the latest tech" but also have it be useable live, not too many menus and such. I like the idea of user-driven downloads for specific songs, too. Headrush, Line 6, Bias, Boss, TC Electronic, Zoom seem to well regarded these days.
                            Last edited by alex1fly; 10-11-2021, 09:57 PM.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

"combiner"

Comment

Working...
                              X