What's the Klon clone to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Klon clone to get?

I'm all about trying the right boost for the right amp, but I've come to realize that I've never tried a Klon-type.

I love Tube Screamers, SD-1's, and their variants, but have never tried a Klon. Not that I will, but what are the best Klon clones to get?

I'm particularly looking at the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe because it has the EQ, but if you guys say there are some pedals that have more of "the Klon magic", then maybe they're more worth a try.

The TC Electronic Zeus OD looks cool as well. I have a TC Electronic Mocambo that I like better than my actual Ibanez TS808 reiussue, so TC know how to do good affordable clones.

Please keep the prices sensible. I'm not going to spend thousands on an actual Klon.

Thank you!

I love the Tumnus Deluxe. There's a good reason why its the one that comes to mind (for you, and for so many others)

But why don't you just sell your car and buy the real thing?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I haven't heard any I don't like as long as you know how to keep the nasally sound that can creep in under control.

I use the Archer Ikon, and the Tumnus is great and the cheapy EHX is just fine too.

I had a real one for a while back in 2016/17, and it became a liability (too valuable for gigs) -so I sold it because the knockoffs were almost as good.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I use the Moskey Golden Horse I love it. Zero issues. $25 - $29 shipped.

Comment

if i was going to get one, id get an archer. when i was testing the old fender amps, i used a silver klon and a way huge overdrive special. both really nice pedals but the klon into the pro sounded so damn good. the ods sounded better into a tweed or marshall

Comment

Tumnus. I tried a lot of them.

I also really like the MXR sugar drive which is not a direct clone but in the same vein. It's what stayed on my board.

The ehx soul food is not a direct clone either but it's also nice. I think I modded it with germaniums and it was great.

I also like the moskey. I had zero expectations but I was very impressed.
            Last edited by Blille; 10-15-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Archer IKON, or RYRA.

Comment

I have a gold JRockett Archer Ikon in front of me as we speak. Sounded the closest in shootouts I heard. The only thing closer was a Meat+3 modded Soul Food.

Comment

J Rockett Archer IKON (gold one with maroon)

Comment

BYOC Silver Pony. That thing is a killer Klone. Really cheap if you can build it yourself but even pre-built, they are quite inexpensive. Shockingly good quality and tone.

Comment

You gotta pick a zip code for Klones.

As Bruce mentioned, for $25 bones you can get a Mosky. It isn't bad.

For a little more, the EHX Should Food is highly regarded.

Or you can pay Tumnus Deluxe or Archer cash...

Or even hunt down a KTR

I'm not a Klon guy, but I can dig what it does. Honestly, the circuit isn't all that amazeballs or mysterious anymore, so I have trouble justifying the high end. But, if it is your thing, rock on.

I will say I do dig juicing my Black Secret with the Golden Horsie. Wicked awesome tones there!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I Love the BYOC Silver Pony, which is supposed to be a 1:1 clone. It is a remarkable pedal.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got a Mosky Silver Horse because I wanted to save on pedal real estate, and I don't like it. There's some high-pitched hiss any time it's engaged, and it just doesn't sound great. I went back to a clone I built from a kit, and it's better, but I think I'm going to give the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory a shot when I tire of it again, mainly because the Green Rhino I just got is amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations! Lots of pedals to read on.

Anyone has an opinion on the TC Electronic Zeus? TC do cool cheap clonnes. I have an El Mocambo which I like better than my actual TS808.

Comment

The KTR is the same circuit so it isn't a Klone. The RYRA is very good, probably the best I have tried aside from the real thing. There are many that are really good and close enough for rock and roll. Ceriatone is nice if you want to wait a bit.
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                              X