A touch of dimensionality to your sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A touch of dimensionality to your sound

Curious how other people are solving this.. adding some dimensionality to your sound without the sound of effects being very present and without a delay stepping all over your next passage. Spring reverb doesnt work for me unless I'm playing slow ambient things.

I usually add a very short decay plate verb 25% in the mix and a hair of chorus/vibe with low intensity and mild depth to create some dimension in an already good guitar tone just needing some spice

So I'm curious what other sauce people are maybe sprinkling on their tone to get some nice spatial perception WITHOUT it muddying up the next notes
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Live or recorded? I have my spring reverb set at 3 and it’s been there for 15 years now. If I need some clean swirl I like to add analog chorus (Voodoo Lab, is that a CE-1 style?) with the rate and depth low. It doesn’t sound like chorused guitar but it does provide a little more interest than pure clean. For recordings I think you have a ton of options.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

TC Mimiq or a very very slight delay of around 30ms. The way I like doing this best is by simply using blended tones. I love using 2 amps which (for me) brings in at least 2 (4x12) cabs (sometimes more) and you have speaker options in that scenario as well. Even if all speakers are the same type, no speaker or cabinet is identical. There are plenty of options within these I listed to get you enough variation to fill or widen things beautifully. If I am seeking more, I will then go to various effects depending on what is going on. If I can get away with it, I will have one amp (of the two) less dirty and that amp typically is my effect amp.

If you are going a modern way, you can simply change IR's on the exact same rig and accomplish the same thing. Changing mics, mic position provides a similar solution.

A lot of this stuff comes down to volume and the room in addition to the tone type.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Live or recorded? I have my spring reverb set at 3 and it’s been there for 15 years now. If I need some clean swirl I like to add analog chorus (Voodoo Lab, is that a CE-1 style?) with the rate and depth low. It doesn’t sound like chorused guitar but it does provide a little more interest than pure clean. For recordings I think you have a ton of options.
        Yeah, more referring to live. I like that Voodoo Lab unit.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Open back cabs.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Open back cabs.
            Ha. so true!

Comment

Phase at the start of my board set very slow when playing nearly clean up to medium gain - either a Small Stone or a Deja Vibe works very well for this. For clean sounds, I like flanging - an electric mistress (or mooer e-lady clone) in the loop, again set very slow. I've never been happy with a chorus sound on my board.

I tend to use delay instead of reverb much of the time while playing. Pretty low in the mix, about 2-3 repeats and set up for dotted eighth notes with the rhythm of the music. It does a similar thing to reverb, but seems to work better for me in more situations and doesn't muddy up the same way. If reverb gets used at all, I like it to be very low and barely audible (unless you're going for a Dick Dale style spring effect).
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

More studio concepts than live, though some items here work for both situations:

- one trick with using reverb and keeping your tone from getting lost in the "wash/reflections" is to use pre-delay.

This delays the reverb from activating; giving your dry tone a small window to stick out.

Anywhere from 20-150ms or thereabouts.

Example: VH1 - try 100ms pre-delay on stereo plate reverb (EMT140 to be exact) and pan guitar 90% L

- compression. Proper compression can make things lively versus no compression; more 3D-ish.

- Eventide (in stereo). Even a hair of Eventide does wonders.

- manual doubling. Record a rhythm/solo track, pan hard L, play and record the same piece, pan hard R.

Tiny differences in both timing and (sometimes) pitch will make the track come alive.

Comment

I agree, some pre-delay on reverb is great, and obviously of you can do stereo with a little delay/detune in there it’s fantastic.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Are you running stereo? And is it a one-guitar band, or is there another guitar in the mix?
                    There's a lot more room for treatment if another guitar isn't a concern.
                    Brian May used to use several amps daisy-chained with short delays in between, nice big live sound for a single-guitar band.

Also, are you looking for a special effect, or something that's always on?

Chorus with the width set almost at zero is a good option - even better if you can tweak the time and blend.
                    Behringer made a stompbox clone of the Roland Dimension D that might be worth trying. Warm & wide.
                    An exciter pedal (dialed judiciously) can work nicely to make a tone stand out.
                    Micropitch can be magic if you're running stereo.

For basic stomp effects, a good Echoplex pre pedal in front of the amp does something especially cool and three-dimensional to your mids.
                    (Something that duplicates the original circuit like a Chase or Clinch, not cheaper "EP" pedals that only change the EQ curve).

Haven't tried the Mimiq pedal myself but it's a cool idea and sounds good in the demo vid.
                    Probably not something you'd use as an always-on though.

A subtle medium-length single delay in the FX loop can add a richness and depth that's practically subliminal.
                    But it can also muddy the water when there's a lot going on, especially if you need tight stops.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

For me ambient/ room reverb is more than enough; plus chorus. Also, absolutely no delay.

Comment

Depends on where I'm playing, but I usually have some reverb on all the time, mostly a small amount of plate reverb unless it's at church, then the HoF church mode is required.

Comment

DC-2W. Taste with reverb/delay. Enough said.

Comment

Play with the FAT preset on your H9

Comment

Different things... Reverb or Delay as mentioned, but also this occasionally

Also...sometimes chorus.
                              - Set depth low
                              - Rate as appropriate
                              - Get the level just right

Doesn't sound goopy/syrupy, but is "bigger"
                              Helps if there is a delay knob on the chorus for adjustment
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X