No announcement yet.

Big Muffs and Clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you talking about the Yellowcake Furry Burrito?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
      Are you talking about the Yellowcake Furry Burrito?
      Yeah, it's super versatile, it can be OD, Distortion, Fuzz and combine dying 9 Volt tones too.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211207_074307.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6136344
        Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, it's super versatile, it can be OD, Distortion, Fuzz and combine dying 9 Volt tones too.
        For sure! I have two of them. One is on my acoustic guitar board and it is killer.

Comment

Had never seen it! Looks super cool.

Comment

I have a little big muff, and it’s arguably the most interesting pedal on my board because it’s so easily influenced by whatever you throw at it. Even if you do “wrong” things like putting a compressor or distortion after it, it just reacts quite dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been on a big muff kick lately and I think my favorite one I've played lately is a clone I built of the Emanating Fist Electronics Dope Priest. It is a lot more midrange focused compared it to my Ram's Head reissue which is really scooped. The Dope Priest has a lot smoother high and and tighter bass. You definitely wouldn't want to use it with a bass guitar unlike the Ram's Head or a Russian. It's got more gain than the Russian, but not nearly as much as the Ram's Head. The Ram's Head sounds way more compressed as you turn the sustain up.
              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

My only Muff is a VFE Fiery Red Horse and I like it.
                Haven't played any other Muffs for more then ten years so I can't really compare it to others.

Still, like the other VFE pedals, having six controls instead of three makes it unusually flexible.

I also have his Pale Horse drive and White Horse compressor.
                Pale Horse is my favorite TS variant, again thanks to six-knob tweakability.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

It's crazy how many different incarnations of the Big Muff are out there! Some are dramatically different, even though they are still "Big Muffs".

I have been downsizing my collection and I sold my Green Russian clone and one of my Ram's Heads. To be honest, there was a time when I had given up on the Big Muff altogether. It seemed that I could never get along with the mid cut and they always sounded messy. (That was when I had only tried EHX models.)

Then, I found out that some other companies were putting midrange controls on them. Suddenly the whole range of the different generations of the Muff was back on the table.

Now, a modified BYOC Triangle Muff is my go-to. It does everything that I want and I feel comfortable letting some of my other ones go.

Comment

I built a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh clone (AionFX Osiris) and find it to be awesome.

Comment

I don't currently have any fuzzes on my boards, but my favourite Muff pedal is the 4-knob BMF Effects Aries Fuzz. The mids control really brings a fabulous flexibility to it, and it covers me when I want some 'Gilmour' tones.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I like the Wall of Sound for Gilmour (it was a “standard” a Skreddy in a different livery), the Zero for Pumpkins and the Super Collider for doomy stuff. The ICBM sounds like Bush plugged in straight away, it was kind of wild.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                        X