One Rack to Rule Them All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Rack to Rule Them All

Over the last week or so I've put the finishing touches on a project more than a year in the making. I've had rack systems before, but this is the first time I've been happy with both the sound and playing experience. The closest I'd come previously was the pedalboard I completed in late 2020:

The separate clean and dirty signal paths simplified switching considerably, but it was still a lot of tap dancing for someone who handles vocals in addition to guitar. I'd thought about building a rack several times over the last decade (most notably here), and I was finally tempted last spring when my friend's shop offered me a great deal on a G-Major 2.

• Furman PL+: Pulled this from my Studio Rack because the newer PL-Plus C interfered with my rear-mounted interface
    • TC Electronic G-Major 2: I was initially looking at a G-Force, but I could hardly argue with this for $200. I use it primarily for reverb & delay and occasionally for modulation and pitch shift. Sound quality seems on par with the G-System I tried a few years ago, and the build quality feels significantly better than the original G-Major.
    • Digital Music Corp GCX: The industry standard rackmount loop switcher; 8 loops that can alternately be used for latching or momentary switching. I'm using 6 pedals along with 2 switching loops. I have no complaints about sound quality (buffer included), but there are a few shortcomings IMO. First and foremost, it provides phantom power over pins 1 & 3 of a standard MIDI cable, so you have to be EXTREMELY careful when connecting it to anything other than a Ground Control. The Rocktron 7-pin standard for phantom power is far superior as it simply fails to pass power over a 5-pin cable. My other complaint with the device is that none of the loops are internally normalled, so you have to run a jumper from the 'out' of loop 1 to the 'in' of loop 2 for example.
    • Penn-Elcom R1291K-2L: 1U Rack Drawer with 2 Slam Locks; I found this after looking into the R1290 I'd seen recommended on Rig Talk and The Gear Page. The main difference is that it locks closed instead of opening on its own if the rack is tipped forward. The pedals are held in place with 3M Dual Lock.
    • Penn-Elcom 3232LK: It's a 2U drawer with a slam lock used to store spare cables.
    • SKB 1SKB-R8UW 8U Rolling Roto Rack Case: A relatively lightweight 8U rack with casters and retractable pull handle. I only really needed 6U, but the weight difference was minimal, this raises my cab a few extra inches, and the extra storage space / room to grow is nice.

GCX Loops:
    • Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe: NPD here. The best sounding compressor for guitar I've ever heard. My initial inspiration was the solid state clean in my old ADA MP-1, and I use it mostly to even out the volume of arpeggios.
    • MXR EVH Phase 90: I've had one of these on my board for nearly 20 years, so it seems natural here.
    • BOSS CE-2W: I've been using a CE-2 for 15+ years. The Waza version is a bit brighter than my 'unicorn' vintage CE-2, but they're consistent if I ever need to replace it. As an added bonus it powers on with the effect active, so I don't have to open the drawer and turn it on.
    • Amp channel switch: Latching switch for amp channel, connected to my rear-mounted rack interface.
    • UFO octave switch: Remotely turn the UFO's octave effect on and off.
    • Homebrew Electronics Ultimate Fuzz Octave: NPD here. A Foxx Tone Machine clone that I modified to make the octave externally switchable.
    • Wampler Tumnus: I spent 15+ years looking for the perfect boost for my Marshall Jubilees.
    • Fulltone GT-500: NPD here. I use the distortion side as a light crunch channel; the boost is turned 'off'.

On the floor I have an EB Volume Pedal, a Wilson Signature Wah (in a cool Union Jack case), a Korg Pitchblack Portable, and the awesome RJM Mastermind GT/16. The box at the top-left is a pedalboard interface proving MIDI and signal out as well as phantom power for the Mastermind and an auxiliary 9V output that I'm not currently using. Here's the full rig including the amp, cab, rack, and board:

There's a Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16 hiding behind the cabinet for completely silent recording, which will soon be joined by a BOSS IR-200 to give me the option of going to FOH without a mic. I'll add a quasi build log as time allows over the next few days.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

YES!!! Fantastic!

What does it tip the scales at?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        What does it tip the scales at?
        I seem to have mis-placed the covers for the case, but the rig weighs as follows according to my trusty shipping scale:

Board w/ MIDI controller: 21.3lbs
        Marshall 2525H head: 21.7lbs
        Egnater 112 cab w/ Emi Wizard: 28lbs
        8U case: 68.4lbs

The board looks like a lot, but the Mastermind GT is shockingly light for its size; maybe 5-6lbs. The Captor adds roughly 3lbs and the covers are about another 5. It's a bit large and awkward for a single person to carry up the stairs, but it's an easy two-person carry.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Strangely enough this build started on 04/01/2021 when I brought home the G-Major 2, and I initially incorporated it into the pedal board rig in the OP with an ADA MC-1 controller for patch changes. It wasn't really usable from a playing perspective, but it allowed me to preview the sort of tones the full system would be capable of. My very next priority was to track down a GCX and Ground Control Pro as I'd used them before and was familiar with setup and programming. About 10 days and $290 plus shipping later found me here:

I don't have a pic unfortunately, but the GCX was sitting on top of the 2525H with a few must-have pedals sitting on it. Around the same time I also picked up the rack and pedal shelf, which brought me here:

I wish I could say all was well, but it unfortunately wasn't. I still don't know the cause but after anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes of playing, the GCX would start to behave strangely where loops would stay 'on' after changing a patch. A power cycle fixed the issue, but it would reliably repeat after no more than an hour or so. I bought these used so I wasn't expecting much from Voodoo Labs, but it turns out that my already low expectations were too high. I tried calling their support number on several occasions, but no one answered and my voice mails were never returned. A post on their support forum didn't receive a single reply for over a week. Needless to say I am probably not going to buy anything from Voodoo Labs ever again.

Comment

The next chapter in the saga began in early May after a couple weeks of getting nowhere with Voodoo Labs. I had other MIDI devices I could use to test the Ground Control Pro (and they always worked perfectly), but nothing I could use to test the GCX. I'd thought about picking up an RJM Mastermind GT, but I couldn't find a used GT/10, nor could I swing the $1100-1200 a used GT/16 was demanding at the time. I wrote off the Mastermind LT because its functionality was so limited for the price. Around that same time I found a great deal on a FAMC Liquid Foot +12, and picked it up despite the warning from PFDarkside and a few others on TGP.

This thing really showed me what an updated MIDI controller with a PC interface was capable of. I'd come to be annoyed with the GCP's inflexibility; I had to have presets for the smallest config changes, or I had to live with 8 permanently fixed instant access buttons. Conversely the Liquid Foot allowed multiple pages of individually-configurable buttons that could be overridden at preset level. Of course nothing is perfect and there were a few bugs in the Liquid Foot firmware that required creative programming to work around.

In hindsight I should've listened to PFDarkside. The LF worked great with the GCX until it suddenly wouldn't work reliably at all. I suspect that it was damaged by the phantom power out on the GCX, but I'll probably never know. For all of Voodoo Labs' failings, they are still in business and put in some noticeable effort to support at least some of their products. OTOH it's anyone's guess as to whether FAMC even exists anymore. My support ticket from June of last year still hasn't been answered, and the only recent posts on their forum are from Korean spammers. In case the other warnings aren't enough, I feel I need to add my own: As of May 2022, DO NOT for any reason buy any FAMC product unless you are 100% comfortable with buggy, unsupported hardware from a company that appears to no longer exist.

Comment

Man, that's a damn shame. I loved that board!

That said - coolness! And when you are tired of that Marshall 2525 - call me. Dibs!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

An apparently dead Liquid Foot and an unreliable Ground Control Pro found me once again in the market for a MIDI controller in early June 2021. This is going to sound like a paid plug, but my interactions with RJM were about as close as one could come to the polar opposite of Voodoo Labs or FAMC. I posted on their forum to ask if the Mastermind LT was capable of something I'd been doing with the LF, and received a reply about 20 minutes later from Ron (founder of RJM) explaining that no, the MMLT would not do exactly what I was after, but he was able to suggest a work around. I placed the order with a renewed sense of optimism and continued work on the rest of the rack.

Pedals and power supply dual-locked to the drawer, installing the remote switch cable for the UFO:

Signal cables in place for all of the pedals using BTPA CA-0678 cable with SP-400 plugs on the pedal side and MC-1358GHM plugs on the GCX side.

Custom power cables in place using CA-0671 cable and MC-1304 or MC-1525 plugs.

If I were doing this again, I'd use the MC-1304s for all power cables as I found them far easier to solder reliably.

Rear panel rack interface

Left to right:
                Guitar out (to amp) - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0446 cable, & Neutrik NP2X-BAG-D connectors. These connectors were particularly difficult to solder due to the high temperatures required.
                Normally open channel switch - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0678 cable, & MC-1358GHM connector to GCX.
                Normally closed channel switch - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0678 cable, & MC-1358GHM connector to GCX.
                FX Send - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & MC-3641 connector to G-Major 2.
                FX Return - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & MC-3641 connector to G-Major 2.
                Guitar In (from pedal board) - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0446 cable, & Neutrik NP2RX-BAG-D connector to GCX 'Guitar In'.
                MIDI In - MC-1591D jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & NYS322-U connector to GCX.
                9V out (XLR to pedalboard) - NC3FD-LX-BAG jack, CA-0671 cable, MC-1304 connector to Pedal Power Mondo.
                9v out (2.1mm to IR-200) - Procraft D-Plate W/ 5.5mm X 2.1mm DC Power Socket, CA-0671 cable, MC-1304 connector to Pedal Power Mondo.

Interface ready for installation with cables zip-tied in place

The MIDI in connector provides phantom power to the Mastermind LT via pins 6 & 7 of the MIDI cable. Power draw is low enough to use one of the 400ma outputs on the Pedal Power Mondo.

Rear wiring, left of rack. Loop jumpers are in place on the GCX, but individual pedal loop wiring is not.

Rear wiring right of rack

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Man, that's a damn shame. I loved that board!
                  It was a cool board, but I couldn't handle the tap-dancing. If I weren't a vocalist too, I probably wouldn't have felt the need to go full-MIDI. Underneath this one still technically uses the same board, so I'll be posting it up for your review shortly

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  That said - coolness! And when you are tired of that Marshall 2525 - call me. Dibs!
                  I'll be sure to call you, just as soon as hell freezes over

I have no idea what these go for at the moment, but I can't recommend one highly enough if you're in the market for a JCM800-ish tone and volume is a potential issue. It's so close to my full size 2555 in terms of tone that it'd be hard to tell which one I was playing through when recording silently via the Two Notes and monitoring with an IR. My current project is pretty low stage volume, so honestly the only time I pull out the 'big guns' anymore is if I have to play somewhere that doesn't put guitar in the PA. Otherwise 20W -> 1x12 and I'm good.

Comment

This is apparently what a b-stock Mastermind LT looks like. Aside from a very minor imperfection on one of the button labels (Val+), I can't find a single flaw. In terms of entry-level MIDI controllers available today, this thing is the real deal. It does 98% of what the Liquid Foot would (minus song-level commands) but EVERYTHING I've tried with it is 100% solid, zero bugginess. Combined with RJM's unbelievable support, one need look no further in terms of MIDI controllers for a guitar rig IMO. It's largest drawback is that having only 7 buttons requires a small amount of tap-dancing if you want Instant Access buttons. I don't use a ton, but I do use enough that I found the paging to be somewhat annoying. That being said, I found the paging less annoying than the Ground Control Pro's fixed instant access programming.

Here's the finished board as of late-July 2021 with the Mastermind LT, BOSS EV-30 expression, and Analog Endeavors AUX2RJM switch. I typically use the right aux button for tap tempo while the left is mapped to the G-Major 2 modulation block in most cases with the expression handling post-gain volume. All three can be re-mapped at preset level; for example I have a preset using the UFO for a boost along with a reverb & dynamic delay in the G-Major 2 for a sort of psychedelic / shoegaze lead sound. On that preset the right aux button toggles the UFO's octave on and off while the left toggles the G-Major 2's whammy effect which is in turn mapped to the expression pedal.

Phantom power for the wah and tuner are carried on an XLR cable from the rack interface to the pedal board interface at the top-left.

Comment

I thought that was the end of this saga, until I found an unbelievable deal last month; $849 for a rather dirty but otherwise excellent condition RJM Mastermind GT/16. Here it is after a couple minutes with a microfiber cloth:

The only problems being that it wouldn't fit on my board and 400ma isn't remotely close to what this thing needs for phantom power. I'm glad that I didn't hard-wire the phantom power connection on my interface; swapping to a 3.5A 12vDC adapter was as easy as swapping cables and securing the power brick to the rear rack rail. Ironically enough the Liquid Foot's adapter is the same voltage/polarity, and it manages to power the MMGT with less noise than the RJM one.

I was able to import my settings from the LT, but it ended up being easier to start from a blank slate than to re-map a ton of extra buttons. Everything works, but how do I power it, and how am I going to lay this mess out?

The first attempt leaves a bit to be desired. The expression pedal doesn't fit, nor does the interface box.

OK, this I can work with. The MMGT has 9vDC out, so I no longer need the long 9v line from the rack. The expression and aux switch will end up on a small board that I can set up next to this one. In order to fit them on the same board, I'd need it 36" wide which is something I couldn't find anywhere. The only things close that I know of are Aclam and Temple Audio, both of which are only 34". My other options are in the 39-43" range, and I don't really want a board that big.

In hindsight I'm glad I couldn't find a GT/10 a year ago. Spending time with the LT showed me that I would've had essentially the same problems in terms of button pages. With 16 buttons I get 4 presets, bank up/down, page, Instant Access mode, all 6 pedals, and 2 G-Major 2 blocks on page 1. I can access additional functions in either IA mode or on page 2, but 95% of what I need is right here. I'd really like to have 6 preset buttons, but I've yet to find a way to do it without causing problems with some other functionality.

Overall I think the only other change I'd be open to is swapping the GCX for an RJM Effect Gizmo. I like that it provides phantom power via 7-pin MIDI rather than 5-pin, and that it has its own memory instead of being strictly CC-controlled. It offers GCX compatibility, but having actual presets would allow me to use my ADA MC-1 if that ever became necessary (not that I expect to). It also offers 8 internally-normalled loops in addition to 4 switching loops, so I could add a couple pedals should the need arise.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Rear panel rack interface
                        Left to right:
                        Guitar out (to amp) - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0446 cable, & Neutrik NP2X-BAG-D connectors. These connectors were particularly difficult to solder due to the high temperatures required.
                        Normally open channel switch - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0678 cable, & MC-1358GHM connector to GCX.
                        Normally closed channel switch - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0678 cable, & MC-1358GHM connector to GCX.
                        FX Send - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & MC-3641 connector to G-Major 2.
                        FX Return - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & MC-3641 connector to G-Major 2.
                        Guitar In (from pedal board) - Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jack, CA-0446 cable, & Neutrik NP2RX-BAG-D connector to GCX 'Guitar In'.
                        MIDI In - MC-1591D jack, CA-0351OFHC cable, & NYS322-U connector to GCX.
                        9V out (XLR to pedalboard) - NC3FD-LX-BAG jack, CA-0671 cable, MC-1304 connector to Pedal Power Mondo.
                        9v out (2.1mm to IR-200) - Procraft D-Plate W/ 5.5mm X 2.1mm DC Power Socket, CA-0671 cable, MC-1304 connector to Pedal Power Mondo.
                        Just noticed a couple issues with the rack interface writeup.
                        1. The 'Guitar out' CA-0446 cable with Neutrik NP2X-BAG-D connectors is the custom cable I made to go from the interface to the amp input. Inside the rack it uses CA-0678 cable with a MC-1358GHM connector to the GCX.
                        2. Both the FX Send and Return are balanced inside the rack should I ever want to connect my Studio Rack to the G-Major 2.
                        3. The MIDI in from the interface to the GCX only connects pins 2, 4, and 5 (deliberately floating pins 1 & 3) to block phantom power. I learned my lesson with the Liquid Foot and a cable that I hadn't realized was 5-pin connected.

The pedalboard interface is quite a bit simpler:
                        • The 9v line uses a Neutrik NC3MD-LX-BAG XLR connector on the rack side, with a Procraft D-Plate w/ 5.5mm X 2.1mm DC Power Socket on the board side.
                        • The signal line uses Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG jacks on both sides
                        • The MIDI line uses MC-1591D jacks on both sides

Comment

Bummer about the Liquid Foot, but I’m glad you ended up with the RJM. Such a fantastic product. I had the same experience with the Voodoo Lab forum, I’m sure there are a few responses now, almost two years later but it’s frustrating when you are building a rig.

Does the mastermind display tuner signal from the G Major?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            Bummer about the Liquid Foot, but I’m glad you ended up with the RJM. Such a fantastic product. I had the same experience with the Voodoo Lab forum, I’m sure there are a few responses now, almost two years later but it’s frustrating when you are building a rig.

Does the mastermind display tuner signal from the G Major?
                            I don't believe so, but I haven't looked into it in much detail due to already having a tuner. It will display the tuner from a Helix or AxeFx, though I'm not sure how/if the G-Major 2 differs.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              Over the last week or so I've put the finishing touches on a project more than a year in the making. I've had rack systems before, but this is the first time I've been happy with both the sound and playing experience. The closest I'd come previously was the pedalboard I completed in late 2020:

The separate clean and dirty signal paths simplified switching considerably, but it was still a lot of tap dancing for someone who handles vocals in addition to guitar. I'd thought about building a rack several times over the last decade (most notably here), and I was finally tempted last spring when my friend's shop offered me a great deal on a G-Major 2.

• Furman PL+: Pulled this from my Studio Rack because the newer PL-Plus C interfered with my rear-mounted interface
                              • TC Electronic G-Major 2: I was initially looking at a G-Force, but I could hardly argue with this for $200. I use it primarily for reverb & delay and occasionally for modulation and pitch shift. Sound quality seems on par with the G-System I tried a few years ago, and the build quality feels significantly better than the original G-Major.
                              • Digital Music Corp GCX: The industry standard rackmount loop switcher; 8 loops that can alternately be used for latching or momentary switching. I'm using 6 pedals along with 2 switching loops. I have no complaints about sound quality (buffer included), but there are a few shortcomings IMO. First and foremost, it provides phantom power over pins 1 & 3 of a standard MIDI cable, so you have to be EXTREMELY careful when connecting it to anything other than a Ground Control. The Rocktron 7-pin standard for phantom power is far superior as it simply fails to pass power over a 5-pin cable. My other complaint with the device is that none of the loops are internally normalled, so you have to run a jumper from the 'out' of loop 1 to the 'in' of loop 2 for example.
                              • Penn-Elcom R1291K-2L: 1U Rack Drawer with 2 Slam Locks; I found this after looking into the R1290 I'd seen recommended on Rig Talk and The Gear Page. The main difference is that it locks closed instead of opening on its own if the rack is tipped forward. The pedals are held in place with 3M Dual Lock.
                              • Penn-Elcom 3232LK: It's a 2U drawer with a slam lock used to store spare cables.
                              • SKB 1SKB-R8UW 8U Rolling Roto Rack Case: A relatively lightweight 8U rack with casters and retractable pull handle. I only really needed 6U, but the weight difference was minimal, this raises my cab a few extra inches, and the extra storage space / room to grow is nice.

GCX Loops:
                              • Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe: NPD here. The best sounding compressor for guitar I've ever heard. My initial inspiration was the solid state clean in my old ADA MP-1, and I use it mostly to even out the volume of arpeggios.
                              • MXR EVH Phase 90: I've had one of these on my board for nearly 20 years, so it seems natural here.
                              • BOSS CE-2W: I've been using a CE-2 for 15+ years. The Waza version is a bit brighter than my 'unicorn' vintage CE-2, but they're consistent if I ever need to replace it. As an added bonus it powers on with the effect active, so I don't have to open the drawer and turn it on.
                              • Amp channel switch: Latching switch for amp channel, connected to my rear-mounted rack interface.
                              • UFO octave switch: Remotely turn the UFO's octave effect on and off.
                              • Homebrew Electronics Ultimate Fuzz Octave: NPD here. A Foxx Tone Machine clone that I modified to make the octave externally switchable.
                              • Wampler Tumnus: I spent 15+ years looking for the perfect boost for my Marshall Jubilees.
                              • Fulltone GT-500: NPD here. I use the distortion side as a light crunch channel; the boost is turned 'off'.

On the floor I have an EB Volume Pedal, a Wilson Signature Wah (in a cool Union Jack case), a Korg Pitchblack Portable, and the awesome RJM Mastermind GT/16. The box at the top-left is a pedalboard interface proving MIDI and signal out as well as phantom power for the Mastermind and an auxiliary 9V output that I'm not currently using. Here's the full rig including the amp, cab, rack, and board:

There's a Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16 hiding behind the cabinet for completely silent recording, which will soon be joined by a BOSS IR-200 to give me the option of going to FOH without a mic. I'll add a quasi build log as time allows over the next few days.

Love the detail on your set up !!!! .

I have a nice set up ( pedalboard and racks ) too.

Thanks for sharing the info !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X