banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install extra LED into Boss pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install extra LED into Boss pedal?

I have replaced the clipping diodes on my MT-2 as a series of mods and since they glow when signal is passed through them, I thought it would be cool to drill for them through the front of the pedal.

Any tips on how to go about this? They are 3mm LED so I would assume a 4mm drill bit plus some sorts of rubber grommets to hold them in place and some sort of material to stop the legs from touching things they shouldn't.

Any tips?

Usually the legs of an LED will have enough strength to maintain the position of the diode. I would remove the PCB, drill pilot holes through the enclosure, then progressively increase the bit width until the LED barely fits. Then, you can put the LEDs in the PCB, turn the enclosure upside down, place the LEDs through the holes, reattach the PCB, and solder the LEDs in place. If you're concerned about the legs touching something, you could cover them with electrical tape.

I think we need video once you finish the mod.

Comment

That’s what the old Keely Seeing Eye Mod was. I wonder if a google search would show how that was packaged.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Heat shrink and a little bit of hot glue to keep it in place from the inside. Just using the legs and relying on the PCB to hold it through the hole won’t work with Boss pedals as they don’t secure boards in the enclosure. I know the indicator LED does this but it has a long standoff for support and it was designed this way. The clipping diode holes on the board aren’t where this method will work. I’ve done this exact thing a few times. You want to use hot glue inside the enclosure, not a lot, and use some insulated wire to the PCB. Heat shrink each LED leg and the solder connection to the wire, then solder to the PCB. That’ll prevent any issues with touching any other component or the enclosure.
        Last edited by ErikH; 08-19-2022, 05:47 AM.

Comment

You mean heat shrink (instead of shrink wrap) I hope.

Comment

On second thoughts, maybe it´s the same thing just in American English, was thinking of shrink wrap as being a packaging material.

Comment

Yeah, heat shrink. Will fix my post, if it’ll let me.
              Had a long work day and just typed away. Lol.

Comment

They make little led holders with two holes that keep the legs from touching - small bear has those and cool little bezels

https://smallbear-electronics.mybigc...lamps-fuses-1/
                Last edited by DankStar; 08-19-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Those bezels are nice for an indicator LED where you have enough space. The space is already cramped in a Boss enclosure when everything is in place. The best place for the "Seeing Eye Mod" is right below the knobs. On the DS-1, Keeley puts it in the "o" of the Tone label. On a Metal Zone, I would think below the Level or Distortion knobs would be best. Depends on the space available and the location of the clipping diodes in relation to those areas for shortest wire runs.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 08-20-2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Did something similar with my gear. Yeah, a 4mm drill bit should work great for those 3mm LEDs. Gives a bit of room and makes fitting easier. I used rubber grommets too – they're perfect for holding the LEDs in place and add a nice, finished look.

For keeping the LED legs from causing trouble, I just wrapped them in a bit of electrical tape. It's a simple fix but works. Just be careful when drilling, especially with metal cases. Go slow to avoid any oops moments.

Oh, and if you're looking for more LED insights, check out https://leds.to/. Found some handy tips there when I was working on my pedal.​
                    Last edited by mantrasky; 01-29-2024, 07:49 AM.

Comment

interesting, there are many solder soldiers here too, I'm happy

Comment

That's exactly what I did. thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X