banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another cool fuzz on the way...someone stop me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cool fuzz on the way...someone stop me!

Glancing at recent fuzz releases, I came across this Laser 1 "frequency multiplier" fuzz by Vaderin pedals.

I know fuzzes generally reproduce harmonic frequencies to a much larger extent than your typical overdrive, but something about the response of this one really caught my ear. Seems really musical for such a high intensity noisemaker!

Here's the description:

The Laser 1 is a frequency multiplier fuzz pedal that saturates your signal in wild overtones, vicious upper harmonic clang, and an often synth-like cacophony of frequencies...The circuit randomly folds the signal in an attempt to create multiples of the frequencies resulting in something between an octave fuzz and otherworldly alien laser sounds.
    I managed to find a pretty solid deal on one, so I'm gonna give it a shot!

​​​​​​​I'll definitely share my impressions once it arrives.

By the way, I dig how it sounds on the bass in the demos, also!

Comment

Man, that thing does super splatty tones pretty well! Gets right into synthy territory.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Comment

OK - besides the Ice Blue Iceman, and besides the cool Octopus DOD pedal...that thing makes some wicked cool noise!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sounds more extreme envelope filter than fuzz to me.

Comment

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                Sounds more extreme envelope filter than fuzz to me.
                I'm no fuzz/synth/filter expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that there's clearly a heavy dose of "fuzz" in that circuit on top of whatever "envelope filter" effect may be going on.

When I look up examples of heavy envelope filtering, there are definitely some similarities in the response, but the resulting "drive" ("fuzz"?) tones from those filters don't seem to saturate nearly as well and the sweep/wah effect quickly becomes too extreme/exaggerated.

Again, I could be talking out of my @r$e here LOL!

The part I love about the description is when it says the pedal "randomly folds the signal"...sorta makes me think of pulling taffy

On the plus side, the pedal just arrived, so I'll be putting it through its paces this weekend.

I'll be sure to update soon with my thoughts!

Comment

Yeah, I 'm no expert on fuzz either.

That image is all sorts of weird lol

Comment

Working...
                  X