NPD Decibel 11 Dirt Clod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Decibel 11 Dirt Clod

I found a stupendous deal on Reverb a month or so ago...

First and foremost I need to thank Securb for plugging this thing so relentlessly over the last few years. I'd never been 100% happy with the GT-500 since adding it to my board 4 1/2 years ago; the boost side isn't anything particularly special and I was always fighting with the EQ on the distortion side. There was also the issue of having to pick from one of the several sounds I liked in it. With that said it sounded pretty good and filled a niche in my setup until something better came along.

With two clipping modes, ten MIDI-selectable presets, and a mid-contour EQ, the Dirt Clod is a very different beast. My first preset is an alternate clean sound using the form control and a low drive setting for a bit of compression and low-mid scoop along with treble boost. It's about the same volume as my Cali76, but a completely different tonality and feel. My second preset is an attempt to duplicate my favorite low/mid gain crunch sound from the GT-500. I still have the form control on, but higher gain, relatively flat treble, and a bit less mid scoop than the first preset. The slight mid scoop really helps to avoid mud when stacking with my Tumnus, UFO, or both which is now a usable combination. My third (currently final) preset kind of reminds me of a MIJ BOSS DS-1 with gain around 9 o'clock, slightly scooped mids, and a bit of treble and volume boost. I use it into the lead channel of the Jubilee to get me into Recto / Soldano / Friedman territory. It kind of reminds me of how the Jube itself sounds with the gain completely cranked, though I haven't run it that way for a really long while. I'd kind of forgot the extra aggression, tight palm mutes, and effortless harmonics, and it's cool to be able to get back there with the press of a single button on my Mastermind.

Here's my pedal drawer after swapping the GT-500 for the Dirt Clod:
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I am glad you are digging it. I dial in a tone like then set it. I will then duplicate the setting in the next preset with a bit more CORE and MASS. It is like having a built-in boost. It allows my leads to cut through the mix without changing the characteristics of my tone too much. I love that the pedal will go from a clean boost to a full-on chug.

Can't believe they are still blowing these out for $99 new

Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod™ Overdrive Distortion Pedal The Decibel Eleven Dirt Clod guitar effects pedal is a fully analog overdrive distortion pedal featuring 10 memory presets. Whatever music you play, the Dirt Clod provides a wide range of distortion sounds with two styles of clipping in addition to variable mid and high controls. You may …
    Last edited by Securb; 11-06-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I am glad you are digging it. I dial in a tone like then set it. I will then duplicate the setting in the next preset with a bit more CORE and MASS. It is like having a built-in boost. It allows my leads to cut through the mix without changing the characteristics of my tone too much. I love that the pedal will go from a clean boost to a full-on chug.

https://decibel11.com/product/decibe...tortion-pedal/
      I definitely dig it, and I almost pulled the trigger on a new one when this popped up on Reverb for something like $60-70. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from it with all of the demos I checked out, and now that I have it I can't really say exactly what it sounds like. It isn't a Distortion+, DS-1, or Rat, but it isn't hugely different from any of them. If you're a fan of any of those classic distortion pedals, it probably gets close enough to put a smile on your face. I don't know if I could justify $269 for it, but it's an absolute steal at $99. The addition of MIDI control and presets are just a great bonus to a good sounding pedal that's surprisingly easy to dial in given the control it offers.

Do you know if there's a way to copy presets? I've tried to do something similar to what you're describing, but I've yet to figure out how to save a preset from one location to another. Instead I've had to recall my saved settings and manually set the knobs the same way in an adjacent preset. It's not a deal-breaker, but a copy function would be really cool.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

There is no copy setting. I just scribble my presets down and program a different preset.

Comment

Decibel Eleven is a great Company, they make great gear .
          I own a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander to add an acoustic simulator pedal , Sitar simulator pedal , SD SFX-01 Pickup Booster and others , with no latency / glitches. I could use one the loops to change channels on a non MIDI amp .
          The Hot Stone Deluxe was a lot more versatile and cleaner sounding that my Voodoo Labs power supply .

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

https://decibel11.com/product/decibe...tortion-pedal/
            Dam that's not a bad deal... Too bad I just ordered my pentatone preamp or I'd snag one, I'll keep that in mind for next time I buy a dirt pedal.
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              It isn't a Distortion+, DS-1, or Rat, but it isn't hugely different from any of them. If you're a fan of any of those classic distortion pedals, it probably gets close enough to put a smile on your face..
              It definitely gives me my D+ tones. If I A/B the DirtClod with another stomp I can usually get the DirtClod to mimic the other box with a bit of dialing in and listening. Where it really expands my tonal options is when I push the DIRT button and switch it to the 808 chip setting. I have never owned any green boxes so when I heard the JCM 2000 in the JCM 800 2023 mode with the green box boosting it I was in heaven. I use mine for everything from subtle boost to high-gain grind.

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
                The Hot Stone Deluxe was a lot more versatile and cleaner sounding that my Voodoo Labs power supply .
                The guys from Decibel Eleven left VooDoo Labs. I have the Hot Stone Deluxe also it is fantastic, every option you could wanting a power supply is there. Decibel Eleven is a quality company.

Comment

I also have a Decibel Eleven Loop Expander that gives me MIDI control to include a EHX Ravish Sitar pedal, a Behringer AM 100 Acoustic Modeler pedal, MXR 10 Band Eq and a Boss GE-7 Band Eq .
                  It doesn't have any glitches/ pauses when I activate the DE Loop Expander.
                  I could use the fourth loop as a device to change channels on a non MIDI amp.

The Decibel Eleven Hot Stone Deluxe powers all those pedals and it is dead quiet too .

I heard that the Decibel Eleven company was bought out recently

Comment

Working...
                  X