Help me choose a new fuzz pedal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a new fuzz pedal!

For Christmas this year, I get to request a guitar pedal of my choice in the 100-200 dollar range. I haven't had a fuzz on hand since my cheap little moen fuzzmoo crapped out (honestly, not a bad muff clone at all for the price), so this is a good opportunity to get something more proper to replace it. There are so many options it's hard to know where to start, but I do have a good idea of the type of sound I'm looking for. Could you all help me zone in on some options that can achieve fuzz tones similar to what I'm hearing in the two songs I've linked below? Thanks much!

Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Securb has a pedal called a Dirt Clod. I recommend one of those. Maybe he can tell you a bit about it if he gets the chance.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd search out La Super Rica (with parametric mids) or a Tweak Fuzz.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Love the Tweak Fuzz once you do the volume mod.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory. It's known for the crazier end of fuzz sounds and can certainly do ripping cardboard, weird self-oscillations, octaved strangeness, and dying battery type gated fuzz . . . but you can also dial it back and get some pretty decent classic fuzz face things going on.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Securb has a pedal called a Dirt Clod. I recommend one of those. Maybe he can tell you a bit about it if he gets the chance.
            I use the Dirt Clod for overdrive for Fuzz I use an MXR Blue Box. If you set the octave right around unity, you get an ultra-thick MOOG-like overdrive. The nice thing is you can find them cheap on the secondary market.

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for the blue box. It's a very distinctive sounding fuzz.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I know this is way outside your price range...but think about it.

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Orange Fur Coat. It has a footswitchable octave. When needed, you can adjustably blend it with the fuzz for a varied range of sounds.

Comment

Some context would be helpful.
                    Do you want one great fuzz sound with flexible tone controls, or a classic fuzz with cleanup for a spectrum of drive?
                    Also, will it be near buffers in your setup?

Myself, I like classic Fuzz Face or Tone Bender circuits; you can leave 'em on for a whole song, rolling back for those iconic Jimi style semicleans.
                    Nice broad range of gain textures, however they don't offer much control over EQ and they don't like buffers nearby - even downstream of them.

Later circuits - even Muffs - don't have the same cleanup, but do offer thicker saturation and many overcome some weaknesses of the classics.
                    Not just better flexibilty EQ-wise, but most of the modern designs won't tend to get tubby in the lows or get lost in denser mixes.
                    And most are designed to play nice with buffers so you don't have to worry about placement.

IMO a Muff could bring you into the same ballpark as those two examples. Muffs don't have the legendary cleanup of a good Fuzzface, but they back off well enough to cop a "fuzz-rhythm" tone if you don't need to get all the way to sparkly semicleans.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I use the Dirt Clod for overdrive for Fuzz I use an MXR Blue Box. If you set the octave right around unity, you get an ultra-thick MOOG-like overdrive. The nice thing is you can find them cheap on the secondary market.

That sounds like losing a video game.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

That sounds like losing a video game.
                        Now you get it.

Comment

I really dig the Furry Burrito -it is both a Distortion and a Fuzz (Mixable) -with a dying 9volt effect for that really dirty stuff (the clear tiny knob on the middle right side -it lights up)

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My company has a totally off-putting "brownie points" system where you occasionally get points for doing something above & beyond. Get enough points, and you can order fabulous prizes from their online catalog. I recently discovered that they carry some Fender stuff, and I had a few points in my account. Just for fun, I ordered a Fender Hammertone series Fuzz.

It's great. It can do the old Fuzz Face think, but it has an internal tone control to brighten it up for more modern over-the-top sounds. It also has a lot more output than a lot of classic fuzz pedal. Add to that an octave switch and it's a very versatile pedal, for dirt cheap. Mine was free, but I think they normally go for about $79. A great pedal at a bargain price.
                            Last edited by Rich_S; 12-14-2022, 06:03 PM.
                            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations ya'll! The fat fuzz factory, la super rica, and fur coat all sound promising, so I'm adding them to the list of potentials. I've been poking around the used market and found a few others that piqued my interest as well -- the all pedal love machine, red witch fuzz god, and zvex fuzzalo. Has anyone here tried one of those?
                              Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                              Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                              Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                              Marshall 1960a
                              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                              X