Volume > Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume > Gain

For a while now, I've been running a Friedman Smallbox pedal into the front of my Marshall Origin 50 for gain tones. After having gone through a bit of an AC/DC kick, I decided I'd try to do a little less gain so I could hear the strings banging out more than just a crunchy mush of notes together I didn’t realize I was hearing in my own tone before.

So I turned the gain down to about nine o'clock and the volume up to two o'clock or so. I think this might be the way I should have been doing it all along. First of all, hats off to Friedman for creating a pedal that acts like I've always thought an amp should act. But once I made this change, all the dynamics reappeared. Volume knob down cleans up and decreases compression. Rolling it up fills out the sound and increases gain.

I know, I know, this is what a boost is supposed to do. I've been through at least a dozen boost/overdrive pedals, though, and this is the first one I've ever played that acts this way.
    Last edited by misterwhizzy; 08-16-2023, 04:57 PM.

I'm baffled how do you possibly call AC DC chords "just a crunchy mush of notes together?
    i hear every note distinctly in their chords.

Comment

Yeah, I see gain as a "as little as you can use to get the sound you want" type thing. I never turn a gain knob up past noon, if I need more gain I stack an overdrive on it. I've always been surprised about how good a metal tone you can get out a "low" gain setup
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

my metal days are well past, but i use the lower gain/higher volume method a lot. if im not going straight into the amp, i usually have a od set for a fat low gain tone with a bit of volume boost. if the amp is set right, the volume boost will push it into natural overdrive and the bit of drive from the pedal makes is sing

Comment

Yep. The higher volumes I play at, the less gain I seem to need. I think it might be natural compression from the amp that is changing the sound in a way I like which makes the guitar sing better.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

How about volume AND gain!

Comment

Yah, less gain is more dynamic and almost always better sounding.
              Amps offer so much gain nowadays that many players - even seasoned pros - dial up more than necessary IMO.
              I'm using a 20W Friedman Pink Taco with the current project. Magnificent amp for high gain British tone.
              I run the input gain at ten o'clock, using pedals for grit/crunch tones plus a Lovepedal JMP Eleven that serves as my lead channel
              This way I can roll back at the guitar and get nice sparkly cleans.

Home players prefer a lot of gain & compression; that makes sense for playing at low levels.
              But at band volume you get enough natural sustain that a little bit of tube drive is all that's needed.
              I've found that to be true even at today's much lower stage levels.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Yeah, I see gain as a "as little as you can use to get the sound you want" type thing. I never turn a gain knob up past noon, if I need more gain I stack an overdrive on it. I've always been surprised about how good a metal tone you can get out a "low" gain setup
                The Carvin X-100 B was a medium gain amp and it replaced my Marshall JCM 800 back in 1986. When I added my Boss, Super Distortion / Feedbacker, Tube Sceamer or Arion Hot Watt 2 , their was a magic that happened that the more high gained JCM lacked.

The notes seemed to have more headroom and dynamics .

Comment

Unless it's some crazy lead that needs to be through the moon, I too am a keep the gain knob at noon or below and use volume or gas the amp with a boost upstream into the headroom you are allowing with the position of the lead knob. I know people like to make 11 jokes -but most amps operational limits get ratty out at the ends -especially the EQ and presence knobs.

Also, in general the sound of the guitar coming through and dynamics are better using volume over gain -just more natural and detailed too.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                  X