Early Seymour Duncan pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post

One day, I'll post a video, but right now I am going to College part time, working full time ( California High Speed Rail Construction Worker) and playing in a band ( luckily) that is dealing with time issues too.

In my rack, I use Ebtech Hum Eliminators between all rack units, use a Monster 1100 Power Bar to power everything, use a Monster 2500 Power Conditioner and ETA PD8 Power Conditioner for lower wattage rack units.
    The Monster Power Conditioner has separate outlets for Digital, Power Amp and Analog devices .
    And the Digitech SGS's left and right out put , that are balanced and go into my two VHT Valvulator 1's.

I emailed Fryette ( formerly VHT ) with questions, asking if placing the Valvulators from the 2112's outlets to the Valvulators and then to the CPB's would present any issues .
    It took them almost 3 months to answer, I proceeced and had no issues at all.
    As a fellow PowerBlocker, your whole setup has been living rent free in my head for the better part of a month. I need, need, NEED to hear how it sounds!
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

(Pre-Fender) Jackson was using an EMG-built on-board boost circuit in one of their Dinkys and they gave SD the opportunity to compete for the business, which they eventually got. The circuit was called the Firestorm. Then, Jackson asked SD if they could do the circuit in a pedal enclosure that they would bundle in a Christmas pack. SD did the R&D on it but it eventually came in too pricey and Jackson passed. Since SD had already done all the work, they considered releasing the pedal anyway. They consulted with Musicians Friend, which really liked the idea and their pedal merchandiser suggested the name "Pickup Booster." Viola. The SFX-01 and SD's pedal line was born.

The first versions were built in Bulgaria by friends of Ilitch Chiliachki, who helped with the design. The contractor was very small and SD had to supply them with parts; and the quality and consistency was iffy at best.
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
        (Pre-Fender) Jackson was using an EMG-built on-board boost circuit in one of their Dinkys and they gave SD the opportunity to compete for the business, which they eventually got. The circuit was called the Firestorm. Then, Jackson asked SD if they could do the circuit in a pedal enclosure that they would bundle in a Christmas pack. SD did the R&D on it but it eventually came in too pricey and Jackson passed. Since SD had already done all the work, they considered releasing the pedal anyway. They consulted with Musicians Friend, which really liked the idea and their pedal merchandiser suggested the name "Pickup Booster." Viola. The SFX-01 and SD's pedal line was born.

The first versions were built in Bulgaria by friends of Ilitch Chiliachki, who helped with the design. The contractor was very small and SD had to supply them with parts; and the quality and consistency was iffy at best.
        Wow, never knew the backstory, thanks !!!!

Comment

Yes, very cool to hear the history of one of my fav pedals.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but, are they any body that can show the differences from the original SFX-1 Pickup Booster to the later versions of the pedal .

Because, I borrowed one made in 2012 and another from just last year and seems like the newer versioned are Eq'ed differently now.
            I could be wrong , but did they put in different capacitors or altered the circuit board ?
            I hope some tech person could post a diagram or schematic and explain the differences that I heard.
            Last edited by maug2122; 03-16-2024, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
              Personally, I'd like to see SD try to make their own amp heads of any design/technology.

I never gelled with pedals. As a metal elitist, to me they were what teenagers used until they could afford a tube amp, but that was in the 90s. Many of the things we have on pedal boards now we didn't have back then.

I mainly didn't like pedals alone for distortion because they sounded too much like cheap solid state amps. Later, I liked pedals to boost amps. We mostly had DOD pedals in the shops here.

I loved Boss stuff for choruses and time based effects. This is where I thought pedals really stood out.
              I’ve seen a Seymour Duncan amp they used to make that had “modules” like the Randall MTS and Synergy amps. I’d love to know how they sounded.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
                Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but, are they any body that can show the differences from the original SFX-1 Pickup Booster to the later versions of the pedal .

Because, I borrowed one made in 2012 and another from just last year and seems like the newer versioned are Eq'ed differently now.
                I could be wrong , but did they put in different capacitors or altered the circuit board ?
                I hope some tech person could post a diagram or schematic and explain the differences that I heard.
                There is a slight component difference to make unity gain truly unity iirc.

Comment

One difference I know, (just from the specs), the original had a 470k input impedance, easily "fixed" with a single resistor on the input. The new one has the input Z dropped even lower to 250k. Not sure why they did that. It could affect the EQ the same way it does when we play with different pot values for our guitars. Subtle, but there.

Comment

I tried a Klon, I was far more impressed with the Pickup Booster.... not to knock the Klon, but it did more for my setup .

Comment

Working...
                    X