i scream, you scream, we all scream about Tube Screamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Just wondering what you recommend I try next. I was thinking Wampler Clarksdale or JHS Bonsai. I tend to prefer the fatter options, and I'd love it if my 808 had a tad more bass (not as much as the Mesa Grid Slammer, though) and a bit less honky midrange. I'm thinking about giving the Maxon OD808 a try again exactly because that's how I remember it being.

So... let's discuss!
    Given that you're a Gain 0/Level 10 kind of guy, have you ever considered some of the more flexible clean boost options such as the Moser M2-G, VFE Standout, VFE Tilt or Airis TS-Pre? Or, if you have to have some clipping, perhaps a VFE Dragon?

Comment

^That’s why the Cornhole has symmetrical/asymmetrical and most importantly, diode bypass. You really don’t need the diodes for gain:0 level:10
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

like seasons, every now and then I return to the TS9, I play it for a while then that feeling of 'too much compression' returns and I switch to something else.

the mids hump never bother me too much , but the compression , it always makes me feel like my tone is boring , too easy making things maybe ?

I played hundreds of variations , I built them too dozems, but I ended up understanding I do prefer hard clipping type of overdrive (diodes on the output to ground and not on the feedback loop), more dynamic more sensitive to touch
        I fact at the moment I use trex dual drive , which is a double modified rat at the core) and a turbo rat I modified myself which is my fuzz sound now

Comment

Oh with the gain at 0, there is still some very noticeable clipping in a traditional 808 design.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Oh with the gain at 0, there is still some very noticeable clipping in a traditional 808 design.
            I’m just talking about why there’s switchable diode configurations and diode bypass. I find I don’t need them with the gain off because it makes a lot less noticeable difference to the sound and functions better as a clean boost/filter. The difference between the diode choices to me is more obvious with some gain happening.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
              Given that you're a Gain 0/Level 10 kind of guy, have you ever considered some of the more flexible clean boost options such as the Moser M2-G, VFE Standout, VFE Tilt or Airis TS-Pre? Or, if you have to have some clipping, perhaps a VFE Dragon?
              you don't have the compression a tube screamer always has, even at 0 gain

Comment

My favorite screamer is probably my MXR M77. It’s a tweakable screamer with 100hz knob and a boost switch. Very cool sounding pedal.

+1 for East River Drive. I love that one. Great sounding pedal for doing the 808 thing.

I also have a TS9DX but I don’t use it much.

I should also mention the Strymon Sunset which has a screamer setting. I can’t say that it sounds much like my other screamers but it does sound good. It gets into screamer territory while doing its own thing. I love that pedal always. So many sounds you can get out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

I’m just talking about why there’s switchable diode configurations and diode bypass. I find I don’t need them with the gain off because it makes a lot less noticeable difference to the sound and functions better as a clean boost/filter. The difference between the diode choices to me is more obvious with some gain happening.
                  Well, for me, part of the 808 magic is that the clean soudn is still peeking through a little blended with some more added saturation. This helps keeping the attack emphatic and aggressive and mantaining note clarity. And obviously the mid-forward EQ and added compression.

If I took away the clean/dirty blend, I think I would loose a big part of that Tube Screamer magic boosting a high-gain amp. I kinda have that pet peeve with the 805, for example. With the gain on 0, it's almost too clean. You have to get it working (IMO) to where it starts working its magic like an 808 does.

IMO, of course. I have tried the mode where you turn off the diodes on the Plumes model on the Helix. I know it's not the same thing as trying the real thing, but I didn't love it. To me, it sort turned that pedal into a Microamp with slightly more character. But then again, I overall don't love that pedal in any mode, TBH.

But at the same time, you're right. Experimenting with something else might not be such a bad idea!
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-15-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Our oldest asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I sent her a link to the Joyo Vintage Overdrive which is an 808. It fits a college student budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      Our oldest asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I sent her a link to the Joyo Vintage Overdrive which is an 808. It fits a college student budget.
                      I recommend the TC El Mocambo. That one's cheap as well.

Comment

if you want to try a little different flavor of TS, TRex Diva is an interesting twist on the subject, where with a pot you can mix the amount of clean signal to a TS based distortion , the attack of the note is quicker, so the notes separation, I do prefer other OD but this works

Comment

Back in 1987, I was in Massachusetts and I went with an acquaintance to a Daddy's Used Music store, looking for a Rockman Headphone amp.
                          The Sales guy told me they were out of stock and let me try out this pleasant surprise .

Click image for larger version

Name:	fh7apr3kaxcfpyfxn6yc.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	6258667

I really like it, only costing $ 67.00. I played with in the hotel room.
                          Then I decided to run it thru my Carvin X-100 B and JCM 800 set up .... it ended my love affair with my Tube Screamer.

Comment

my fave TS style variant is the Aion Electronics kit. It has just enough bonus features to play around with but not so many that u get lost for hours dialing it in.
                            ​​​​​

Comment

My TS variant of choice, over any TS in fact, is my Stamps Drive-O-Matic

That said, and I have said this before, To live my life over with my current knowledge, a TS9DX is where I'd be

But for something not a TS9...Rhino or 805
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X