banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many pedals do you own and how much do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pedals do you own and how much do you play?

I have a theory that time spent playing is inversely proportional to pedal ownership

I own roughly 20 pedals and I sit down and seriously play for about 5 hours a week, and I play in a band setting for 4 more. I never have more than 3 pedals in my chain, albeit one is an H90
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Probably less than 10, but some are multis.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Somewhere around 15 pedals all told. The only ones I use are the HX Effects, the HOG, the Turbo Tuner, and an EQ pedal when I'm playing bass. Most of them were part of the bass board until the HX kicked everything off, now they stay in a drawer.

On the HX I have a couple different presets for guitar and bass, and some of them have neat little special effects, but basically what I need is a cleanish sound, a distorted sound, and a lead sound. I suppose the lead sound is kind of optional. For guitar I could get by with a channel switcher and a tuner.

I don't time myself but I think I spend between 10-20 hours a week playing. Less when I've got a lot of work or family stuff to do, more when I'm recording.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

A lot and a lot. Keep in mind that I have had my Morley and others since I was 17 years old, so I have had decades to acquire them.Being in three bands and having private lessons I have a guitar in my hands at all times.

Comment

Maybe 15 or so, but I only use three of them, and I use them rarely. Those are an MXR EVH Phaser, MXR EVH Flanger, and a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. Those pedals have nothing to do with the amount of time that I play guitar since I only use them in certain parts of songs that I'm recording.

Comment

I think I'm up around sixteen or so total pedals owned. Five of them I built from scratch though because I wanted to play around with the circuits and try some modifications. :P

I like to have a delay, phasing or vibe, compressor, and a gain pedal. Those tend to be core sounds that I like.

Then throw in a tuner pedal.

And every once in a while a trem, flanger, fuzz, or wah are called for.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              Maybe 15 or so, but I only use three of them, and I use them rarely. Those are an MXR EVH Phaser, MXR EVH Flanger, and a Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. Those pedals have nothing to do with the amount of time that I play guitar since I only use them in certain parts of songs that I'm recording.
              If only there were an MXR EVH Micro Vibe...

Comment

I think I have around 20, some are duplicates... I really only use 2 of them.... An OD and a noise gate.... Once in awhile a tuner or a delay.

I play on average an hour a day, more on band practice days.
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I have about 6/7 plus two home builds that are not built/working yet. (Currently trying to paint one of them.)

About 99.95% of my playing is guitar>cable>amp. Don't even bother with a tuner normally as I can use the app on my phone.

Primarily I have most of my pedals for band situations even though they're fun to play with and I am not currently in a band.

Comment

I own too many to count. I rarely use them because I love the "clean" sound. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      I own too many to count. I rarely use them because I love the "clean" sound. Go figure.
                      Me too..it is the sound I use the most.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

90 or so...

I play in my band, I play in the work band, I play at Dean Owners, I go to the occasional jam.
                        I have a guitar/amp next to my work desk and play during boring meetings/between/on breaks.
                        I play everyday, if not multiple times.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i have one pedal board with three (fuzz, od, delay), one with four (fuzz, od/boost, delay, aby) and one with five (comp, phase, od, od, delay) those all get used with some regularity. i probably have 20 others sitting around.

i dont play at home much, but i play two or three gigs a week pretty regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            I have a theory that time spent playing is inversely proportional to pedal ownership
                            It looks like this theory has taken a beating. But maybe you're using "pedal ownership" as a proxy for time spent mucking around with settings as opposed to actually playing in a productive way? It might be more accurate to say that people who play more productively spend less time tweaking their sound, whether that's with pedals or amp settings or constant pickup swaps or whatever.

I don't have a theory I could apply to anyone else but I know that I play better and feel more creative (and thus spend more time playing) when I have a setup I trust that works well, and all of the tone and mix issues have already been dealt with. If I'm not getting what I want out of a guitar sound I'll spend days or weeks trying to get it right; if I get it right, I can go months or years without making any changes aside from necessary stuff for mix adjustments. And if I'm rehearsing and I start worrying about tone and mix problems while I'm playing, it can throw me off almost immediately. It's like trying to have a conversation and read something at the same time, signals get crossed.
                            Take it to the limit
                            Everybody to the limit
                            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

It looks like this theory has taken a beating. But maybe you're using "pedal ownership" as a proxy for time spent mucking around with settings as opposed to actually playing in a productive way? It might be more accurate to say that people who play more productively spend less time tweaking their sound, whether that's with pedals or amp settings or constant pickup swaps or whatever.
                              I would agree with this. In my office, you might find the random pedal. When I practice, I plug straight into the Classic 20 95% of the time or play on the acoustic running scales. Downstairs, I have two pedal boards—one with my classic pedals and one with all my weird/misfit stuff. The amps and pedals downstairs are for when I am in a mood to blow off steam or when friends drop by, and we want to screw around.

Comment

Working...
                              X