Revv G4 Post-Honeymoon Period Reanalysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revv G4 Post-Honeymoon Period Reanalysis

So I've had my G4 for about a year now. It feels like less time, but it did spend some time off my board while I was going through a bit of an oh-I'm-fine-with-Plexi-levels-of-gain phase. The thing is, though, the Revv will actually do those tones. (As long as you roll the volume on your guitar way back, but who's paying attention?) Bang the strings, and it crunches more, but the sustain isn't what you'd get from a roaring Plexi. That's okay. I'm really loving having this pedal back as an option. And it feels like many more options than just one.

In a past life, I had a Blackstar HT-5, and I was intrigued by the ISF control and its ability to change the character of the mids. At the time, I thought it was pretty drastic, but the G4 will do tight, high-gain Marshall or big-ass Recto sounds easily. I always assumed the Recto got its bottom end from the power amp, but hearing it happen through the same pedal that can do Marshally tones proves there's more than one way to skin a cat. And the power amp part of that is pretty critical, because going through the frontend of the amp like any other distortion pedal sounds unbelievably bad. Total bees-in-a-can nastiness. But use it as the preamp it is, and it's glorious.

Regardless, after a year, I can safely say it's still a monster, still extremely versatile, and once again a lot of fun to play.

It’s the “modern” setting on the rectifier that is power amp dependent because it bypasses the NF. I run mine on vintage (two presence controls!) I will say you don’t need to needlessly flay felines to find great tone. When I use the Mesa MkIV my model on my 2011 RP1000, nobody believes me because it’s still so amp-like even straight into Class D power.

But there’s more than one way to tickle a pickle
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I think the Recto's poweramp is actually pretty lean and super bright. At least in Modern mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I think the Recto's poweramp is actually pretty lean and super bright. At least in Modern mode.
        Which is why I run it in vintage…
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

Which is why I run it in vintage…
          Vintage is cool too.

There are a lot more sounds on a Recto that sometimes people give them credit for.

But for me, I'm all about Red Modern, bold, and diode. That's the Recto sound, IMO.

Comment

I can tell I'm old because I'm not on the Revv (started only in 2014) bandwagon.

I'm still caught on Krank, Splawn, Vader, Egnater, Rivera, etc., when it comes to trendy online viral marketed gear. How 2005 of me.

Friedman is bad enough now, but I believe Fortin is a cult.

Yes. A cult. As in the "My amp doesn't work but I still swear it's the best because I'm proud of how much I paid for it!" cult.

Edit: Actually, I'm really old because I still get a tingle if anything is Lee Jackson or Bob Bradshaw modded.

Comment

I don't care for that KDH dude.

Comment

Working...
              X