Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS TU-3 NOISE ISSUES

Hi guys,

I have a very frustrating issue at hand.

hum related to pedalboard. Troubleshooted the problem today to find the culprit. BOSS TU-3 tuner is definitely creating the hum. Simplified my signal down to:

strat -> tuner -> amp.

the tuner in the signal path created hum even when not engaged. Any other one of my pedals in its place didn’t add any hum at all. Just the tuner.

Anyone have experience on how to fix this? I find it ridiculous that a bloody tuner is creating all this noise even when not even engaged!!

i dont have that issue with my tu3

Comment

I have 2 TU3s with no issue.... How old is it? Send it to Boss, they'll likely replace it as a bad cap is almost impossible to service on those and thats likely what it is.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Another way to avoid it is have the tuner in it's own loop out of the signal path. I've used either an EB volume pedal with a tuner out, or an A/B switcher.

Comment

I hate the TU-3, personally.

I don't have issues with hum with mine, but the buffer is super lousy. I first noticed super hot pickups like the Black Winter, X2N, or 500T distorted the buffer. I tried recording DI's and noticed that even vintage output pickups like the PG+ clip the buffer, even if it's not as noticeable. Might as well be using active pickups at that point.

I want to get the TU-3W, personally, because I do like how the TU-3 tunes, especially for on-the-fly tuning where you don't need stupid high accuracy.

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. I got the tuner in a trade amongst other pedals and really needed a pedalboard tuner for large gigs we are doing. It's just more reliable than the headstock option.

Will see if it's still in warranty and if not, bummer I guess!

Comment

I don't have any experience with the TU-3, but I had minor noise issues with my TU-2. Replacing it with a Pitchblack solved my problems and didn't cost that much.

Comment

I like and respect Boss pedals for what they are. But many of them are riddle problems. Personally, the biggest issues I've had with them is either the buffers are not very good or the output levels are not enough to reach unity gain with high output pickups.

JME, of course.

Comment

Working...
                X