No announcement yet.

Can I run my TS808 at 18V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. TBH, I like it as-is. I just want to kinow if I'll be able to play around with it.

Funny thing is the sound did change a whole lot more when I briefly ran it at 18V compared to the Duncan 805 which you can actually run at 18V without any risk.

I tried recording it DI, and the headroom is GREATLY increased, when the 805's waveform barely changes at all.

I tend to fall in and out of love with my 805. This is the third I've had. I'm going to keep it for the time being, but right now, I'm liking the 808 better, TBH. There's a certain raspy/dirty quality to the 808's clipping that sounds nice that the 805 doesn't quite replicate. That, and the output on the 808 is hotter.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-05-2023, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      It does. But it sounds nasal compared to other pedals. But a TS is supposed to sound nasal. Grass is always greener on the other side kinda deal, I guess.
      a higher supply voltage can't avoid the nasal timbre, it's not due to the compression but from the eq tailoring of two part of the circuit:
      1. the high pass filter on the first opamp feedback loop
      2. the low pass filter on the output of the first opamp

you can increase the bass putting a 100nF instead of 47nF of the feedback loop, that way the bass cut varies from 723 hz to 360 Hz, more or less, but this increase also the crossover distortion, however this is a common mode.
      you can decrease the cap to ground on the output of the opamp but broading the freq band introduces some harshness.
      There are million of TS variations around and almost everyone messes with these values, or the type of clipping (the Boss SD-1 is identical but it has asymmetrical clipping, the high pass freq is the same, same values for example)

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
        a higher supply voltage can't avoid the nasal timbre, it's not due to the compression but from the eq tailoring of two part of the circuit.
        Oh, but it actually did. It's not night-and-day, but it did. The same thing happens that happens running EMG's at 9 vs. 18V: Slightly more lows, slightly more highs, and slightly more pick attack dynamics come through. It doesn't radically change the voicing of the pedal.

(the Boss SD-1 is identical but it has asymmetrical clipping, the high pass freq is the same, same values for example)
        You mean identical hipass frequency? I was aware the Boss SD-1 is pretty much the same circuit but with 15 or so values swapped around and the asymmetrical clipping. But I didn't realize the hipass was the same. Must be that the lopass is different and the output volume is less? Because whenever I saw an EQ graph comparing both, the SD-1 cuts more lows overall.

Comment

You mean identical hipass frequency?
          even the same values, 4K7R + 47nF

Comment

there is some differences on the input cap of the clipping stage, on the SD1 there is a 18nF+100KR high pass filter in front of the input, in the TS9 there is a 1uF+10KR , on paper the TS9 would be broader toward the bass, in reality there's no such a big differences, since the SD-1 cut is at 88Hz, a freq really low, I don't think it's audible, although there could be somthing different in the higher harmonics obtained from the clipping stage, someone says is a big difference and make you pay big money for the mod, trust me, you almost don't hear anything

Comment

So I ordered a cheapie power supply off amazon that can run at 9, 12, 15, or 18V. Hopefully it's not too noisy, LOL. I'll report back tonight that I get it.

Comment

there is some differences on the input cap of the clipping stage, on the SD1 there is a 18nF+100KR high pass filter in front of the input, in the TS9 there is a 1uF+10KR , on paper the TS9 would be broader toward the bass, in reality there's no such a big differences, since the SD-1 cut is at 88Hz, a freq really low, I don't think it's audible, although there could be somthing different in the higher harmonics obtained from the clipping stage, someone says is a big difference and make you pay big money for the mod, trust me, you almost don't hear anything
                I kinda want to try an SD-1 at 18V now just for the fun of it, LOL.

Comment

Buy a Behringer copy and experiment with that
                  if it smokes , so what

It has been my experience
                  things sound incredible
                  Just before they fail
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Buying a TS copy for 18V experimenting isn't a bad idea - cheap components likely would fail more easily than the real thing.

Another option would be a klone. 18V internal gives the headroom, and they have a certain liquid feel that's similar to the TS.
                    Importantly, the mid peak of a klone is less prominent (and I think probably at a lower frequency). Anyway, they don't sound as nasal.

As others have said, though, that nasal quality is part of the TS magic. Helps it stand nicely in a mix.
                    I find it slightly annoying, but only when heard by itself. Doesn't seem as noticeable in a band context.

Recently switched back to a TS-voiced pedal myself, for the main lead drive on my fusion pedalboard.
                    Drummer had commented that the Marshall-voiced lead drive I'd been using was kinda bright and penetrating.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have an Archer and a TC Zeus. They don't really sound much like TS's to me. They're great, but only on certain amps. Not on Rectos, that's for sure.

But getting a cheapie clone might not be such a bad idea. A Joyo maybe? Any other clone that comes with thru-hole components? The East River Drive maybe? Because I'm not sure if the Joyo comes with the JRC4558. Not to be a snob, but also not sure if other 4588's can handle 18V.

Anyways, I got the cheapie power supply off Amazon today, and it doesn't seem too noisy. I'm running the 808 at 15V right now. I did so for about an hour or so.

Comment

I have an Archer and a TC Zeus. They don't really sound much like TS's to me. They're great, but only on certain amps. Not on Rectos, that's for sure.

But getting a cheapie clone might not be such a bad idea. A Joyo maybe? Any other clone that comes with thru-hole components? The East River Drive maybe? Because I'm not sure if the Joyo comes with the JRC4558. Not to be a snob, but also not sure if other 4588's can handle 18V.

Anyways, I got the cheapie power supply off Amazon today, and it doesn't seem too noisy. I'm running the 808 at 15V right now. I did so for about an hour or so.
                        archer and zeus are Klon copies not TS style pedals, completely different circuit topology.

still I don't think it's a good idea trying to burn your pedals with higher voltage than your internal caps could stand, is there anyone near you practical with a solder? the cap upgrade is cheap, with max 3€ of components your pedal would be bullet proof, I don't see the reason to throw away a costly pedal by deep frying, they are not even usable when broken to block the doors, too light..

if you want a higher voltage supply TS style without messing around with soldering iron, get a EQD Plumes, it's a TS style pedal with internal charge pump to 18V but you use a normal 9V to supply it, that's a clever solution, high quality components too.

BTW, archer and Zeus HAS the same internal.charge pump , internally they work at 18V., so never used (never) a 18V with them because the internal voltage ramps up to 36V.....

Comment

archer and zeus are Klon copies not TS style pedals, completely different circuit topology.

still I don't think it's a good idea trying to burn your pedals with higher voltage than your internal caps could stand, is there anyone near you practical with a solder? the cap upgrade is cheap, with max 3€ of components your pedal would be bullet proof, I don't see the reason to throw away a costly pedal by deep frying, they are not even usable when broken to block the doors, too light..

if you want a higher voltage supply TS style without messing around with soldering iron, get a EQD Plumes, it's a TS style pedal with internal charge pump to 18V but you use a normal 9V to supply it, that's a clever solution, high quality components too.

BTW, archer and Zeus HAS the same internal.charge pump , internally they work at 18V., so never used (never) a 18V with them because the internal voltage ramps up to 36V.....
                          Yeah, I know. I was replying to some who suggested I try a Klone. I have two.

I had the Plumes as well, and I found extremely harsh. I did not know it has the 18V charge pump.

Honestly, what I really want is a Maxon VOP-9, but I don't think they make those anymore.

Comment

Honestly, what I really want is a Maxon VOP-9, but I don't think they make those anymore.
                            Yeah, they look like a thing. Kinda improved 820. You can select an internal switch between 9 an 18 with a charge pump.

I even see some for reasonable money on Reverb.
                            Last edited by hamerfan; 12-17-2023, 06:14 AM.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                            X