Best distortion pedal for a metal tone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
    buddy if you want GAIN an HM2 is right up your alley. the waza version is a BEAST

Otherwise, I would recommend building an Aion FX Solstice (Shredmaster clone with extra options) and boost it with something when you need MORE
    ​​​​​
    How about a Dr Boogie? Recto preamp with JFets in place of tubes boosted with an overdrive if you need fast, death metal note tracking? They sell already assembled versions online. A won a pcb as a prize on this very forum. Running into the real recto power amo compared to the real thing, it’s damn close.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Of all the metal distortion pedals I've tried ..nothing compares

Apparently it's a tweaked DOD Death Metal pedal...Ilove those as well, but they're an acquried taste
      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-14-2023, 09:42 PM.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

don't understimate the power of a equalizer after a distortion pedal, for example you can have a RAT and you can put a classic Boss GE7 after to taylor the sound, I can assure you is way more effective than a one trick pony single 'metal' pedal (a classic eq for metal tone is the V shaped eq of the bands).

it works for solo parts either, just use your distortion at the solo moment engage the equalizer with a slight bump on 800 Hz, you will instantly pop yourself out the band mix without compromizing your sound, try it and thank me later
        Last edited by marcello252; 12-15-2023, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
          don't understimate the power of a equalizer after a distortion pedal, for example you can have a RAT and you can put a classic Boss GE7 after to taylor the sound, I can assure you is way more effective than a one trick pony single 'metal' pedal (a classic eq for metal tone is the V shaped eq of the bands).

it works for solo parts either, just use your distortion at the solo moment engage the equalizer with a slight bump on 800 Hz, you will instantly pop yourself out the band mix without compromizing your sound, try it and thank me later
          Works with any source of distortion. One of my favourite pedal based sounds like I mentioned earlier is the HT-Blackfire fine-tuned with an MXR 10 band straight to a power amp. The ultimate would be a 4 band parametric with selectable frequencies and bandwidth.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

How about a Dr Boogie? Recto preamp with JFets in place of tubes boosted with an overdrive if you need fast, death metal note tracking?
            never played it, so I dunno, but it's probably fine. I'm sticking to my HM2 waza recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post

never played it, so I dunno, but it's probably fine. I'm sticking to my HM2 waza recommendation
              Depends if he wants Swedish Chainsaw/Sunlight sound (yes I am aware you can reign in fhe EQ knobs). Maybe the HM-2 plus a graphic into the FX return. Then he could have it all, from smooth to rude to crude.

Comment

I love boss pedals and just remembered another one that is oft overlooked, the mz-2 metalizer

Comment

I've just been using compression into a boost, straight in.
                  !2DW7 into 12AX7 into one KT-77. 12" Eminence C-Rex in a (currently) open back cab. Running at 2W. Sounds incredible without destroying your hearing or pissing off the neighbors.
                  I have other rigs for that.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV860PlXJqW8KOHDCdtNSAZKf-dIOGZJhQr9H6eQXmnIxu6W9Mj9ABabERec608h1I5awRRUD5oM4yoZXe3Ai6Qt_gTpjGbPfCEfb1HeSccLeXFZXfJP_PAXYrxEr9jh8nV5pcdZLpfZgSdzvt4k3Ym3DkZaiTL9z80zWKDn5SI1I8ZpJUg5NmJXzI2H5GUzWPZMQ7zgIvyNlEs5A-CCT_vHnv0M1XkTU8CL_UwfqsJtpqihmXdoSd07P7t-
Views:	136
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6264932

Comment

I sold my ehx metal muff w/tb. Wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'm more into 80s hairmetal and neo classical shred with some 80s thrash and southern/classic rock thrown in. Kept my mt2 to run through my vox ac10, with some delay, rev, chorus to thicken it up and compression, 80s all day man.

Comment

Originally posted by 8eezrule View Post
                      I sold my ehx metal muff w/tb. Wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'm more into 80s hairmetal and neo classical shred with some 80s thrash and southern/classic rock thrown in. Kept my mt2 to run through my vox ac10, with some delay, rev, chorus to thicken it up and compression, 80s all day man.
                      I never liked it either. Maybe my least favorite distortion pedal, I tried it a lot of times and it never stayed in use.

____

This question has become less academic to me now though, because my VHT roasted a power tube yesterday, the nearest tube amp tech I know of is nearly a 2 hr drive from here, and I'm rehearsing with the bassist tomorrow. HX Effects through my old Traynor head to the rescue for now.

I've always gotten best results stacking pedals into those old Traynor tube heads, rather than trying to get all the sound from one pedal or cranking it and using an OD. I have to say I'm impressed with the way these HX models stack. Best combo for me is the Hedgehog D9 (Maxon SD9) running into the KWB (Kowloon Walled Bunny). KWB is interesting - it's a model of a real pedal that was built by a Line6 designer, which itself was based on an MXR Distortion+ that had a broken diode. I'm running it at unity with very little gain, and its EQ and various clipping options are great for taming the tone of the D9 and adding some more interesting saturation. I'm getting just a little bit of midrange warmth from the head and it's enough to make this sound and feel totally natural to me. I even tried this setting in front of a bass head that I EQd to mimic the old Traynor and it was usable and pretty darn close to being fun to play.

I'm curious about some of those Wampler dual overdrives. Pinnacle, Pantheon, some signature models. I guess with the HX Effects I don't need anything else, but I'm still interested.
                      Take it to the limit
                      Everybody to the limit
                      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                        I'm curious about some of those Wampler dual overdrives. Pinnacle, Pantheon, some signature models.
                        I'm right there with you. I've been seriously contemplating buying a Pinnacle v2 Deluxe as the core of my drive sound, but I get a little confused by the product line. How does it fit in and compare to the Sovereign, the Phenom, Pantheon, etc.?

Comment

Hey Nathan80, mind telling us a little bit more about what you're going for? Sorry man, but you're talking to a bunch of tone nerds who live off of abstract and imprecise verbal descriptions of sonic texture

I agree with Coma that the much-maligned metal zone actually sounds pretty killer direct into the FX loop. Ola Englund has a great video demonstrating this.

I'm partial to the Wampler Dracarys for high gain tones. The 3-band EQ section and switchable "open / tight" gain structure, as well as the option to run up to 18v, gives you a lot of variety in what you can get out of it.

misterwhizzy mentioned the Revv pedals, which are widely acclaimed. I've tried one and was impressed, but have have never owned one. I could say the same thing about the Boss HM-2, which is less revered than it should be because it's Boss and not boutique.

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                          For those, you want say a Marshall in a box boosted with a tube screamer style pedal, so maybe a JHS Angry Charlie pushed by a TS 808
                          This is the JHS AT-2 - an excellent 2-in-1 pedal!
                          __PRESENT
                          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                            Hey Nathan80, mind telling us a little bit more about what you're going for? Sorry man, but you're talking to a bunch of tone nerds who live off of abstract and imprecise verbal descriptions of sonic texture

I agree with Coma that the much-maligned metal zone actually sounds pretty killer direct into the FX loop. Ola Englund has a great video demonstrating this.

I'm partial to the Wampler Dracarys for high gain tones. The 3-band EQ section and switchable "open / tight" gain structure, as well as the option to run up to 18v, gives you a lot of variety in what you can get out of it.

misterwhizzy mentioned the Revv pedals, which are widely acclaimed. I've tried one and was impressed, but have have never owned one. I could say the same thing about the Boss HM-2, which is less revered than it should be because it's Boss and not boutique.

This is the JHS AT-2 - an excellent 2-in-1 pedal!
                            __PRESENT
                            Or the Wampler Pinnacle
                            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I’m really getting into blending pedal preamps with a 2-3 channel mine mixer (with polarity switches because sometimes there can be phase issues but haven’t had problems so far) combining a really tight, surgical hi-gain like the Fury channel on my HT-Blackfire with the hugeness of the literal recto-in-a-box Dr. Boogie.

The only downside is that it’s a lot of pedals, especially if I want to boost the DrB. What I wouldn’t give to have the guts of this whole setup in a 1U rack. If I can figure out how, I might even build one with swappable preamp “modules” (like the Randall MTS) had and a “pan” knob for each pre to use in stereo as well as stack in mono.

I’d also really love a fuzz channel I can progressively bring in and out with an expression pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
                                I’m really getting into blending pedal preamps with a 2-3 channel mine mixer (with polarity switches because sometimes there can be phase issues but haven’t had problems so far) combining a really tight, surgical hi-gain like the Fury channel on my HT-Blackfire with the hugeness of the literal recto-in-a-box Dr. Boogie.

The only downside is that it’s a lot of pedals, especially if I want to boost the DrB. What I wouldn’t give to have the guts of this whole setup in a 1U rack. If I can figure out how, I might even build one with swappable preamp “modules” (like the Randall MTS) had and a “pan” knob for each pre to use in stereo as well as stack in mono.

I’d also really love a fuzz channel I can progressively bring in and out with an expression pedal.
                                wow, that sounds awesome!

Now I know exactly how I'm going to go broke this year!
                                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                                Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                                Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                                Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                                Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                                Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                                Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                                PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Working...
                                X