Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    1. Volume goes up a touch to pop out of the mix
    2. Your less-than-definitive pull offs get boosted up to even volume with the rest
    3. That epic bend hold as long as you need no matter how string aligns with a pole
    all true. Anyway for 1. I do prefer a lot a megaclassic Boss GE7 at the end of the chain with a 3 dB boost on 800 Hz and 1.6KHz only, it's more than enough

Comment

First of all, most comps can do a gain/level boost for popping the solo out
      Next, they can add sustain. I'd say this is mostly useful for a Strat/Single coils, but could be others.
      And as mentioned, hides poor technique (<= my favorite reason!)

So think about it - solo time and pop the Comp on:

2. Your less-than-definitive pull offs get boosted up to even volume with the rest
      3. That epic bend hold as long as you need no matter how string aligns with a pole

All good!
      I use a compressor as a boost.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

I do prefer a lot a megaclassic Boss GE7 at the end of the chain with a 3 dB boost on 800 Hz and 1.6KHz only, it's more than enough
        Yet another approach...

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've use a compressor as a boost, a clean boost pedal, an overdrive with zero or little drive but level all the way up, and the ever reliable lead channel on the amp. I've not used an EQ like the GE-7 as a lead boost before but have thought about it for a while. I know a guy in the 90's that did that with his single channel Marshalls. Worked great for him.

As far as a solo act and compression, it has it's benefits. There doesn't need to be a lot either. Just enough to smooth things out yet retain dynamics. A little of the same on the vocal mic too.

Oh, and a compressor can work great to create a clean-ish tone from a dirty amp too.
          Last edited by ErikH; 12-20-2023, 10:22 AM.

Comment

it's the 1 kHz the secret, you boost that and without killing the others in the band you magically pop out

Comment

I use my MOOG Delay as a boost. It is an Echoplex clone that has a boost similar to an EP Boost. I put the delay on a slapback to thicken the lead, mix it so it is almost unnoticeable, almost dry, and use the DRIVE on the box to kick me above the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                it's the 1 kHz the secret, you boost that and without killing the others in the band you magically pop out
                I used a GE-7 that belongs to our other guitar player at rehearsal this past evening. Boosted 800 and 1.6K. Left all others flat and boosted the level. Yup, it definitely punches through the mix very nicely.

Comment

That's my current board (it changes almost every two days but some remains stable, my 80s ge7 is the one permanently there) :

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231221_095139.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	6263952

​​​​​​do you see the eq? it's a trick I've always used, at least from mid 90s

Comment

I keep putting off buying a GE-7 I might pull the trigger today.

Comment

That's exactly what I did, but a little more of a bump of those two.
                      I've never owned a GE-7 and might get one myself after we get back from Disney post Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        That's exactly what I did, but a little more of a bump of those two.
                        I've never owned a GE-7 and might get one myself after we get back from Disney post Holidays.
                        I decided to go with the Source Audio Programmable EQ, and just ordered it.

Comment

boss and source audio must give me a percentage

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I decided to go with the Source Audio Programmable EQ, and just ordered it.
                            That's a nice one. A bit more than I'd like to spend on one though.

Comment

Are multiband compressors/dynamic EQs becoming a thing in live hardware? I usually see them in software plugins and used on a master bus, but I didn't think a hardware compressor could be dialed in that precisely.

Comment

First of all, most comps can do a gain/level boost for popping the solo out
                                Next, they can add sustain. I'd say this is mostly useful for a Strat/Single coils, but could be others.
                                And as mentioned, hides poor technique (<= my favorite reason!)

So think about it - solo time and pop the Comp on:

All good!
                                I've always felt the best compression settings are the most conservative and least obvious unless you're going for an effect like pumping.

Comment

Working...
                                X