AMT R/S Lead, R1, R2, or Revv G4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMT R/S Lead, R1, R2, or Revv G4?

I don't want a distortion pedal. I want a Rectifier-ish preamp pedal that I can run into either my 20W tube poweramp or some IR's.

I know the AMT stuff is more Rectifier-like, because, well, they're designed to emulate a Recto. But are they really close? Also, how different are the R/S Lead, the R1, and the R2? Is it worth getting the one with a tube in it?

The Revv stuff is kind of it's own thing, but the Revv model on my HX Stomp does get Recto-y, just smoother and tighter... which I like, but I also don't. However, the Revv stuff is so much easier to get here.

So... opinions? Anything else worth looking at?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-18-2023, 10:55 AM.

I'll just give my experience, since I think it's somewhat relevant. I briefly had an AMT M2, which is not at all what you're looking at, and I had to return it because the noise level was intolerable. But the dealer (Ed at Osiamo) told me he's never heard that complaint, and I've never seen it anywhere online. Maybe I just got a bum unit. I have to admit I'm intrigued by their Bricks series too.

You may know I'm a huge fan of the Revv G4. But I don't think it's ideal for Recto tones. I've never spent significant time with a Dual Rectifier, so I'm just going off my listening to records. I think the G4 gets you close, but I'm almost certain I could easily tell the difference in a blind listening test.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
      I'll just give my experience, since I think it's somewhat relevant. I briefly had an AMT M2, which is not at all what you're looking at, and I had to return it because the noise level was intolerable. But the dealer (Ed at Osiamo) told me he's never heard that complaint, and I've never seen it anywhere online. Maybe I just got a bum unit. I have to admit I'm intrigued by their Bricks series too.

You may know I'm a huge fan of the Revv G4. But I don't think it's ideal for Recto tones. I've never spent significant time with a Dual Rectifier, so I'm just going off my listening to records. I think the G4 gets you close, but I'm almost certain I could easily tell the difference in a blind listening test.
      Yeah, I don't have direct experience with a Revv amp, although I'd really like to try one.

The only experience I have with them is with the models on my HX. I like the Red way better than the Purple. The Red seems like a smoother, tighter, more modern version of a Recto-ish/Soldano-ish tone, which I like. But at the same time, is it what I want? Maybe I do. Maybe I don't, but I won't know until I try one.

I know I like Rectos in general, but at the same time, there are so many variations. 2 channel, 3 channel, Vintage, Modern, Orange, Red, Rev C, D, E, F, G, Multi-Watt.... that I don't know which I like better. And at the same time, such a big part of the Recto tone is the poweramp.

Comment

I have the amt R1 pedal a i think it sounds great. Note: I have never played a real mesa boogie amp, only from modellers and they all sound horrible. Anyways serveral years ago I was searching for that "recerfier" tone , like the band Chevelle, for awhile and I came across the amt ledgend series 1 on YT from brett knigman. After watching the videos a dozen times I bought one, plugged it in and couldn't have been happier with it. Is it 100%? i doubt it but to my ears it sounds close enough. The min thing you want to remember is make sure you use a 12 volt power supply.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
        Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
        Boss GT-10
        Rocktron Velocity 300
        Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
        Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
        AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

Just to add some more info, I have several series 1 amt pedal and a amt D2 pedal. I love the sound of the D2 pedal BUT I much prefer the serie 1 pedals. the series 2 pedals do not have a bypass circuit in them. When the pedal is off it actually switches to a fender clean tone the the pedal never really turns off and bypasses. A friend of mine has a evh 5153 50 watt amp and he wants to down size his gear for portability reasons. I let him barrow my amt P1 pedal and he said it sound about 90% or more like the channel 3 of his real amp. hope that helps your journey
          There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
          Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
          Boss GT-10
          Rocktron Velocity 300
          Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
          Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
          AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

Originally posted by big kurka View Post
            Just to add some more info, I have several series 1 amt pedal and a amt D2 pedal. I love the sound of the D2 pedal BUT I much prefer the serie 1 pedals. the series 2 pedals do not have a bypass circuit in them. When the pedal is off it actually switches to a fender clean tone the the pedal never really turns off and bypasses. A friend of mine has a evh 5153 50 watt amp and he wants to down size his gear for portability reasons. I let him barrow my amt P1 pedal and he said it sound about 90% or more like the channel 3 of his real amp. hope that helps your journey
            Thank, you, my man!

I don't mind the 12V power. My power supply has 12V outs. Honestly, as long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. I kinda want to move to a digital/analog hybrid setup where I can load the IR's and mod/delay effects on the HX Stomp, but have the distortion be all analog.

Comment

Working...
            X