No announcement yet.

TC Electronics Mimiq - any users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronics Mimiq - any users here?

Anybody use this pedal in particular? I've read great things about it in stereo mode.This would be for live use as an always-on pedal, since we're writing stuff for a three piece format. I've tried bi-amping through the HX Effects into dual half stacks over the past week or so and I love it, think I'm going to stick with it for the new project I'm working on. I get a nice amount of separation with just a touch of chorus on one of the output channels but I'd like to have the option of a good two channel doubling effect without the modulation.

Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

I used mine in stereo onstage a few times w/ my two Laboga 30W heads. As the only guitarit in the band I thought a nice stereo setup would be pretty sweet.

I went back to my (single amp) old setup though cuz it was just too much hassle. Lugging the two amp's around & then hooking everything up on stage ..kinda a PIA. Sound-wise it had plus's and minus's. While the stereo spread was nice. The pedal does suck out a lot of bottom end (and dynamics) and if the amps are'nt EQ'd right it can all sound a bit flat/boxy. It is certainly possible to sound huge though as well. But again it all took too much time and effort. & was a bit hit or miss. Like I said EQ'ing/balancing both the amp's right is the key.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

And yeah there's a slight phase issue as well.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
        I used mine in stereo onstage a few times w/ my two Laboga 30W heads. As the only guitarit in the band I thought a nice stereo setup would be pretty sweet.

I went back to my (single amp) old setup though cuz it was just too much hassle. Lugging the two amp's around & then hooking everything up on stage ..kinda a PIA. Sound-wise it had plus's and minus's. While the stereo spread was nice. The pedal does suck out a lot of bottom end (and dynamics) and if the amps are'nt EQ'd right it can all sound a bit flat/boxy. It is certainly possible to sound huge though as well. But again it all took too much time and effort. & was a bit hit or miss. Like I said EQ'ing/balancing both the amp's right is the key.
        Huh, the pedal sucked out low end and dynamics? That's strange. I would have figured one stereo side would be completely unaffected and the other just delayed or pitch shifted slightly. Good to hear about real world use, thanks.
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Yeah definitely a reasonable amount of low end loss overall (not sure if it was just the "mimic"d track" or both). At least in my setup

Youtube

Comment

Here's a basic demo I did back when I bought it. I think it's the standalone mono guitar track followed by the one take each of the Mimic's 3 settings (something + double tracked plus quad tracked). It's not drastic bass loss but it's there...

Listen to Mimiq Pedal Demo by DestinedToFester #np on #SoundCloud

It was actually a bit more prominent of a difference in a live setting...

Youtube

Comment

I had this pedal in the past, it's pretty good for live gigs but I wouldn't say it's awesome. With the effect maxed out it actually sounded like a slight delay effect. I decided to sell it after a couple of months.

Comment

I have been debating on getting one for recording to make a more full single track rather than actually doubling the track.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've had mine since I think 2018 or 2019? I love it but you can't really use it to record anything more than a demo. You'll run into phase issues once you mix.

It's pointless to use with just one amp, you need two. If you don't want to lug two big 'ol tube amps along, there are workarounds. Here's how I have mine setup.

1: Front of amp FX.
                  2: Main amp in.
                  3: Fx loop out.
                  4: Boost, Mod, Delay, Reverb, Mimiq (last in line).
                  5a: Mimiq to main amp Fx return.
                  5b: Mimiq to solid state power amp input.

Then both amps have their own 4x12 placed on opposite ends of the room. Works pretty well, but you'll need a secondary power stage that can keep up with your main amp. The beauty of this setup, apart from portability, is that you don't have to fiddle with dual channel switching, as the signal is just fed from one preamp.
                  Last edited by Coma; 02-10-2024, 09:38 AM.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                    I've had mine since I think 2018 or 2019? I love it but you can't really use it to record anything more than a demo. You'll run into phase issues once you mix.

It's pointless to use with just one amp, you need two. If you don't want to lug two big 'ol tube amps along, there are workarounds. Here's how I have mine setup.

Then both amps have their own 4x12 placed on opposite ends of the room. Works pretty well, but you'll need a secondary power stage that can keep up with your main amp. The beauty of this setup, apart from portability, is that you don't have to fiddle with dual channel switching, as the signal is just fed from one preamp.
                    That's a lot of work (and a lot of gear) to bring to a gig, huh?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post

Awesome, thanks for sharing all that. It's good to hear that it works as the end of a signal chain. I'm using two separate half stacks.

Right now I'm splitting to A and B channels inside of the HX Effects and using different effects on each side. One of the things I have going is a polyphonic pitch shifter on one side only, so I can have parallel harmonies coming out of separate amps. I'm hoping the HX lets me route dual inputs through separate paths like this rather than making it be true stereo. If not, I can use one of the amps for all the effects and still control switching for the other, so at least I won't be tap dancing too much.
                      Take it to the limit
                      Everybody to the limit
                      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's a lot of work (and a lot of gear) to bring to a gig, huh?
                        Yeh - a second guitarist might be easier...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Yeh - a second guitarist might be easier...
                          Or some kind of direct stereo solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Or some kind of direct stereo solution.
                            I'm looking to get the most out of the gear I have. No money for a new rig, no desire to swap everything out, no problem carrying an extra head and cab if I need to.

I'm also not running in true stereo. I like the different and complementary sounds of the two amps and want to keep the signal chains separate apart from switching. I'm basically there, I'm just wondering if the Mimiq's doubling will help me avoid the sonic effect of "collapsing to mono" at certain points in the room.
                            Take it to the limit
                            Everybody to the limit
                            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Well, more important is that parts of the room will hear one amp or the other but not both. It would have to be perfectly mixed and the audience would have to be dead center to hear both.

Comment

Working...
                              X