TC Electronics Mimiq - any users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, more important is that parts of the room will hear one amp or the other but not both. It would have to be perfectly mixed and the audience would have to be dead center to hear both.
    If somebody is all the way over to one side, right in front of one amp, then yeah. We'll be playing small metal shows with minimal PA support for the most part. It would obviously be easier to just play one half stack or bring a second cab for the other side of the stage. But I'm having fun playing around with the sonic possibilities of using both heads, and the effect of the harmonizer on one side only is really cool - it actually sounds and feels like twin guitars and opens up some cool avenues for further exploration. It also opens up the "stereo image", which means it contracts a bit when I turn it off, which is kind of disorienting. I'm sure that will vary room by room. My hope for a doubling pedal is that it would keep the separation consistently wider - does that make sense? What I'm looking for is more of a tweak than anything else.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's a lot of work (and a lot of gear) to bring to a gig, huh?
      Yes and no.

You're never gonna do a gig without your amp, guitar and pedal board anyway (unless you're going the modeling/AIAB way), so on top of all that it's really just the extra power stage and it's requisite cables. Back line is usually provided by the venue, so it's not like I'm lugging around two 4x12's (although I've had to do that as well for some gigs).

The external power stage I use is the Harley Benton GPA-100, so it's not some giant heavy Marshall or Mesa tube power amp. Although, full disclosure, it doesn't really keep up with a 100w amp in terms of volume - I would probably need something like a Duncan Power Stage, but then we're talking a whole different league in terms of costs.

OTOH, it is more stuff to hook up, more things that can go wrong, and if the guys who set up the stage haven't done their cable management properly, it can be an absolute nightmare just trying to run cables or find that extra outlet you need.

I'm the only guitarist in my band, so for us it's worth it. But it does make things more complicated and it's more time you gotta spend setting up - time which usually is in short supply if you're sharing the stage with multiple acts in the same evening.
      Last edited by Coma; 02-12-2024, 01:35 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Yeh - a second guitarist might be easier...
        You'd think so, wouldn't you? You'd be surprised how many people turn up without an amp, or without a guitar, or high. We had one guy who writes really amazing, unique stuff, but for some reason insisted that rather than read tabs, I should video tape playthroughs of our songs, so he could learn that way. He still releases music on a regular basis, but he's a one-man show. For good reason, evidently. We had one dude in the band for like 6 months who was a professional classical musician (played trombone), but he couldn't make time for both. Eventually we just stopped looking.
        1973 Aria 551
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post

You'd think so, wouldn't you? You'd be surprised how many people turn up without an amp, or without a guitar, or high. We had one guy who writes really amazing, unique stuff, but for some reason insisted that rather than read tabs, I should video tape playthroughs of our songs, so he could learn that way. He still releases music on a regular basis, but he's a one-man show. For good reason, evidently. We had one dude in the band for like 6 months who was a professional classical musician (played trombone), but he couldn't make time for both. Eventually we just stopped looking.
          No I wouldn't because I interview hard. If we don't gel, they can go to hell. That's long before the first rehearsal.

But I am aware of the challenges of musicians.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Coma - does the Mimiq alter your tone or mush up your pick attack? Or does it still feel clear and natural when you play?
            Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
              Coma - does the Mimiq alter your tone or mush up your pick attack? Or does it still feel clear and natural when you play?
              It's completely transparent.
              1973 Aria 551
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
              X