Need overdrive pedal for rythm rock tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
    I use my amp in the crunch channel with just a bit of breakup, kind of a marshall clean to add a bit of sauce for some Hendix/Frusciante rhythm chords thing. Now I want a pedal to reach a marshall 70s hard rock sound to 80s classic metal without having a big jump in volume, kind of high gain but still can give me some dynamics and string definition. The thick and sustain for leads I can get by stacking my MXR M77. I will use this with a couple of Strats, one with STK-S6 in the bridge, another one with 59 bridge.

* I don't want an overdrive with a bump in the mids, I already have one but I use it mostly for leads.
    * Not a clean boost, no treble boost. All that sounds nice but really need to fine tune the volume when padal is engaged.
    * Extra points if it has versatile eq controls, like 3 band eq or a low freq cut at the input.
    * I think I am be asking for an overdrive pedal that has a kind of falt eq character. A transparent overdrive? O_oĦ
    Nobels ODR 1 or a Wampler Belle. Own both and this is a killer truly transparent OD. Like both, but if I had to pick one it would be the Belle.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

I always understood the SD-1 was meant to be used by cranking the volume knob, am I wrong? As I said, too much of a volume jump between rythm and clean is something I want to avoid.
      I have been using it for a decade and this is the first time I am hearing this. I generally find that using the volume knob adds saturation more than anything. Could you be thinking about the BD-2? THERE I am hearing a large increase in actual volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
        Transparent od, versatile 3 band eq, look at the fullsize Tumnus. I have the mini and love it into my Marshall
        They do play nice into a marshally tone. Have a min I run at times with my Jet City JCA 22H head on the cleanish side. I more often will run a Nobels ODR 1 or the Wampler version in a Belle though.
        If you're looking for a transparent drive, try the ODR 1 or the Belle. They are the best I have found.

Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I highly recommend a Barber Gain Changer SR. It compliments a Strat very, very well.

Comment

barber makes very nice stuff, but havent tried a game changer

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              barber makes very nice stuff, but havent tried a game changer
              I recommend getting one. The Gain Changer SR has the eq of three of his overdrives in one pedal. It’s very transparent and versatile. And if you don’t like it they’re not hard to resell.

Comment

These days you’re super spoiled for choice with rock tones from a pedal. I recommend going to a guitar store and trying out the latest and greatest through an amp similar to yours as even youtube demos aren’t going to match your experience 1:1 if their amp and speaker is completely different.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I agree , even the terms '70s hard rock' could cover a lot of different sounds, you have to try and try between the suggested pedals, trials and errors

Comment

It’s pricey but if I could justify I would absolutely get an Origin Revival Drive. Covers the sound of basically every amp through history and they even model the power amp response where you can control the sag. It’s a shame it costs almost as much as an amp head because one of those on the floor sent to anything from an IR to a clean Class D power amp and cab (like a Powerstage,) you could have literally any era of amp sound you like, fully analog. I toyed with the idea of the paired down Hot Rod RD but I don’t “need” it so much as I just want it.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Build the Aion FX Guvnor clone. It's phenomenal and has options and EQ sculpting for days

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
                        Build the Aion FX Guvnor clone. It's phenomenal and has options and EQ sculpting for days
                        I did it even better, I bought a second hand Guv'nor II (40 €, a pedal nobody wants) and converted it in an original Guv'nor , it works flawlessy and it has a Deep control pot the orginal had not, ah!

Comment

Take a look at MXR Il Torino and Wampler Pantheon. I think you can go wrong with either one.

Comment

Working...
                          X