banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite push-your-amp-over-the-edge pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite push-your-amp-over-the-edge pedal?

Y'all can keep your Tubescreamers and your SD-1s.

I've been on a boost-type pedal-swapping frenzy over the past few days, and I have the same gripe I always do with the SD-1. It cuts too much bass and gives an ice-picky attack. The stock mode on the Wylde Overdrive doesn't cut quite as much bass but still pushes the high mids too much. GT-OD mode is a lot better, but it doesn't quite give enough push to the amp.

The Green Rhino seems like the perfect pedal for my setup. I don't expect everyone to have the same experience, but it just absolutely crushes. It's thick, crunchy, and clear. I don't know why I ever try anything different.

i like the green rhino a lot. i have a mkii and a cameltoe which has the mkiv version. its a modded ts, but a very good one

Comment

Wampler belle or Nobels ODR 1 is my favorite. Truly transparent edge of breakup, very good with humbuckers, and truly outstanding with single coils.
      Second choice, a Real Klon or a Wampler Tuminus. With the right amp, these are killers.
      Cant use a Screamer anymore since I found the Nobels/ Belle!
      Last edited by Ascension; 03-15-2024, 11:51 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've been liking the HX "Hedgehog D9" (Maxon Sonic Distortion) model into the Traynor for guitar lately.

​​​​​​
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I have several overdrives and boosts.

For clean boosts, a good ole' Boss GE-7 is great. The Xotic FX EP Booster is one of my favorites. I have a couple homemade ones I built years ago too but don't use them much anymore.
          Overdrives range from the Boss OD-3 to the inexpensive Joyo Vintage Overdrive and Mosky Silver Horse. The BYOC Yellow Overdrive (Boss OD-1 clone) is awesome. It does cut bass like the original and I haven't put the bass mod on it yet. I might with a toggle switch.
          I want to get a TS9. Easy to mod to get more bass and easy to mod to TS808 specs. I like the TS9 for the lower price AND the barrel DC jack. The 808 has a 1/8" DC jack.

Comment

Honestly, I use a compressor for that. Either a BYOC one I built, or something in my HX Effects.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use my MOOG Delay as my Boost. I have the MIX almost dry, with a slapbackish setting you can not really hear the delay but it thickens the signal, then I crank the drive on the pedal up a little bit like an EP BOOST. My favorite BOOST is the BOOST in my old-school silver Morley, but that is too clunky to drag around.

Comment

I have an amps with "over-the-top" and don't need a pedal.

But - if that is your thing, and I get it, may I suggest:

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkN8IYvMAaoeT9fCgD8gTLcNdiSNHFdySCDg&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	6274292

Although I like the Green Rhino suggestion as well, if keeping the Booty is part of your equation.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Bad Monkey is also a great overdrive into a clean amp, too.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If it’s not practical to use the actual tube preamp of my tube tape delay, My custom built Cornhole. Has the same circuit as the ZW and GT-OD depending on how much mids I want with virtually no components in common. It has none of the “clank” the ZW has and is very good at preserving what I like in the amp’s natural tone and adding what I do like about a boosted sound. It also has an LPB-1 to really push it over the edge from extra solo boost fatness and saturation, to a “meltdown/ripped speaker” sound.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The Bad Monkey is also a great overdrive into a clean amp, too.
                      it's actually a tube screamer with active 2 band control on the output

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        I've been on a boost-type pedal-swapping frenzy over the past few days, and I have the same gripe I always do with the SD-1. It cuts too much bass and gives an ice-picky attack. The stock mode on the Wylde Overdrive doesn't cut quite as much bass but still pushes the high mids too much. GT-OD mode is a lot better, but it doesn't quite give enough push to the amp.

In case you'd like to try other pedals, may I suggest you to check a Timmy? (ora a cheap Caline Pure sky, it's a clone, although P. Cochrane is a person so nice he deserves to buy from him the original).
                        The Timmy is a soft clipping OD (like a TS or a SD) but it has a bass control before the OD section and a treble control after the clipping stage, so it's possible to control the right amount of harmonic content you have.
                        One of the best boost / OD ever made, and it's very transparent

Comment

Working...
                        X