Dirty Shirley pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Shirley pedal?

The videos sound good. I'd be using it into a clean Deluxe. What else do I need to know? Does anyone have experience with one?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

a buddy of mine has one and runs it into fender amps, it sounds great, but he runs the gain pretty high. not sure what youre looking for

Comment

I’ve been using a Smallbox pedal into a clean Origin 50 for my main rhythm tone for probably a little over a year now, and it does a great pushed Plexi impression. With the volume high (3 o’clockish) and the gain somewhat low (10 o’clock), it really nails the compression and dynamics I’ve heard on records for years, and it responds well to overdrives when that amount of gain isn’t enough.

I also have a BE-OD, and I can’t sing its praises. Way too much gain even with the internal trimpot set very low and the gain dialed back to nearly zero. It can make acceptable, somewhat musical sounds used as a preamp running directly into the effects return, but unlike Wampler, I can’t say every Friedman pedal is to my liking. I find my Revv G4 has way more versatility and way better tones for high-gain uses.

Regardless, I’m pretty sure the Dirty Shirley, as a mid-gain type of beast, is likely very versatile and definitely worth trying.

Comment

Well, I am looking for mid-gain (just short of actual Plexi, more JTM45) that cleans up well with a volume knob of the guitar.

Comment

I really dislike the lack of a mids knob on the BE-OD and think substituting a tight control is a gimmick that doesn't really work.

Comment

This just occurred to me, Dave. If you're running into a Fender Deluxe, why do you care if the pedal cleans up with the volume knob? You've got cleans covered.

Comment

Have you tried the Vex Box of Rock? It's very jtm 45 to my ears

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                This just occurred to me, Dave. If you're running into a Fender Deluxe, why do you care if the pedal cleans up with the volume knob? You've got cleans covered.
                Well, I thought I'd keep it on all the time, so I don't have to stand next to the pedals.

Comment

I'm gonna suggest grab a JHS Charlie Brown V4, But a Dirty Shirley will work too. I'm not a JTM45 levels guy...so, grain of salt.

USED JHS Charlie Brown V4Overdrive Guitar Effects PedalPower Supply Not IncludedOriginal Box Not IncludedOwners Manual Not IncludedItem Has Been Tested & WorksCondition: USED-Very GoodKnown Issues: No issues...looks and works greatSKU P-24216
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

the Wampler Plexi Drive could be another choice

Comment

Well, I got a Dirty Shirley. Pedal, that is. Found a great price online, too. Once you get used to a distortion pedal with 4 band EQ (5 if you count the 'tight' switch, which adds bass), it is hard to go back to a single tone control. It has a lot of gain, at least for me. With the gain about halfway, you get a great ACDC-type crunch, which is what I was after. Also, it cleans up really well with the volume control and doesn't obliterate your dynamics by compressing everything to hell. I am using this into a dead clean amp, btw.

Comment

sounds great! might have to check one out

Comment

Working...
                        X