No announcement yet.

Which BOSS Distortion Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DS-1 works well if you want to add a little extra gain (but not really volume) without mud or flub to a middy amp that's already breaking up. As far as I can tell, that's ALL that it does.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      The DS-1 works well if you want to add a little extra gain (but not really volume) without mud or flub to a middy amp that's already breaking up. As far as I can tell, that's ALL that it does.
      I think that's mainly what players use it for nowadays. I think Steve Vai uses one like that.
      -Butch

Comment

Many of these pedals were popular because ....
        • They were the best of the limited options 40 years ago
        • They were the least expensive way to make a bad/lacking amp sound useable 40 years ago
        • Some icon used the pedal to get a decent tone 40 years ago

Now there are so many options and ways to achieve your tonal goals the name on the pedal doesn't even matter anymore. The majority of the stuff we do as musicians these days is 90% about tradition and 10% about tone. And I say that as I am sitting next to my Marshall half stack that I know I can capture the same sound with an array of digital gear that will fit in my gig bag. But as my bass player says "The Marshall looks cool"

Comment

Love the Metal Zone

Have a DS1 it's a classic
          I have a MT2 clone frome Behringer

I like the fuzzy buzzing bee thing from time to time

It's not what I normally play

But when I do , I can't stop grinning while playing the MT2 clone

EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

DS-1 is also popular because it's cheap. The circuit is dead simple, the machinery was paid of years ago, they don't pad the price near as much as other distortions do. To me they are just as versatile as any other distortion.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

For Classic Rock or Fusion, I wouldn't use any of those, honestly.

DS-1 is kind of an 80's Shred or Hair Metal thing. Or Grunge. Maybe.
              HM-2 is kinda Swedish Death Metal or maybe edgy -Core and Shoegaze.
              MT-2 is kind of a Death Metal thing as well (used as a boost).

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

DS-1 is kind of an 80's Shred or Hair Metal thing. Or Grunge. Maybe.
                HM-2 is kinda Swedish Death Metal or maybe edgy -Core and Shoegaze.
                MT-2 is kind of a Death Metal thing as well (used as a boost).
                That sounds like something someone who makes commission would say before pointing to a wall of JHS and Wampler pedals.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Many of these pedals were popular because ....
                  • They were the best of the limited options 40 years ago
                  • They were the least expensive way to make a bad/lacking amp sound useable 40 years ago
                  • Some icon used the pedal to get a decent tone 40 years ago
                  Coming up as a young player, I remember the few OD/Dist pedals available; a fraction of what is available these days. This would have been early eighties. I remember the DS-1 (as well as various Boss OD flavors), TS-9, Ibanez Sonic Distortion, DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 (my personal favorite), MXR Distortion + and Distortion II, Ross Distortion, EHX muff pedals, and a few others. As the eighties progressed, there were many many more offered by those same companies. Then the rack generation came in. Nowadays, every pedal company seems to have a "blue-million" OD/Dist pedals.

Nor me.....
                  Last edited by Butch Snyder; 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM.
                  -Butch

Comment

I like using a slight "semi-clean" boost (not an overdrive, more like an mxr 6-band EQ, or any one of the many boost with shelving and/or active EQ) into the HM-2 and then set the controls on the HM-2 to taste,not all at max lol

Comment

LOL.

Honestly, though, if you're not gonna play Swedish Death Metal through an HM-2, is it worth it? I mean, I'm sure with some help, it sounds great for other styles. But there are other plenty of pedals that either don't require any help or just plain sound "better" doing a "pretty" distortion sound.

Plus HM-2's aren't cheap nowadays.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-22-2024, 07:11 PM.

Comment

LOL.

Honestly, though, if you're not gonna play Swedish Death Metal through an HM-2, is it worth it? I mean, I'm sure with some help, it sounds great for other styles. But there are other plenty of pedals that either don't require any help or just plain sound "better" doing a "pretty" distortion sound.

Plus HM-2's aren't cheap nowadays.
                        I actually thought his tone was pretty good. Would I have a use for it? No, not really my gig, but I liked it.
                        -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post

I actually thought his tone was pretty good. Would I have a use for it? No, not really my gig, but I liked it.
                          Yeah, the tone was good, but I don't think that was the point of the video. When he used the pedal without the Grind, it sounded kinda horrible. Also, even with the Grind on, the EQ, and the poweramp simulation, it still had a hint of the Swedish Chainsaw sound. You can really tell on the tremolo picking parts. An HM-2 is kinda like that, IMO. You can always tell when an HM-2 is on.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-23-2024, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

In that case I would say the MXR D+/DOD 250/ROSS are the malt liquor of overdrive. Kind of nasty, at times not pleasant, but very powerful and will definitely get the job done.
                            I LOVE MY FEZZ (DOD250 clone, with mods) . . . for what it's worth.
                            Ryans go to drive for his surf rock band, this thing is on every track of his album and never leaves his board. The Nocturne Brain The Fez pedal is based on ...

Had a Metalzone (in 2005) did not gel with it, and gave it to my brother.
                            Bought a DS-1 for $40.00, and kept it, as i like the tone vs. money spent, and like it was said above, the tone does grow on you.
                            Try running a DS-1, into a BD-2 (distorting your overdrive)
                            I got a Waza Craft Heavy Metal, and love that thing. Deff gonna keep it.
                            Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

I think I am tone deaf

My DS1 sounds just like the SOAK channel of my Carvin Belair amp

My MT2 clone sounds just like the high gain channel of my HK Tubemeister

Dang it
                              My durned ears

Oh well
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

I LOVE MY FEZZ (DOD250 clone, with mods) . . . for what it's worth.
                                I have all three variants MXR, ROSS & DOD and love them all

Comment

Working...
                                X