banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going down the mega-distortion rabbit hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard a lot of good things about the Joyo Rigel, so I picked one up. It’s pretty awesome. I guess it’s a clone of the KRS Ceres. I use it as a preamp into an IR loader, so I can’t say how it works with amps. But it sounds amazing for my little home studio.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

You’re so right. People ask if a particular product “has enough gain” for metal and advertisements will tout over the top amounts of gain as a selling point that actual metal players recording or playing shows with would barely use past 2 o’clock on the dial (mine doesn’t even make it past noon on most modern amps.).

The actual voicing is way more important for a heavy guitar sound in a mix. Context is important too. The conventional wisdom might suggest that the heavier or the more modern the genre, the more gain you need but if you listen closely, Eddie Van Halen probably uses more gain than most tech-death or djenty bands.

If you took out the reverb and mic’d his cabinet closer, it would sound a lot more in common with modern metal than would suit VH’s music
      And half these pedals where the gain knob goes way to high struggle to achieve unity level, especially with higher output pickups.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

And half these pedals where the gain knob goes way to high struggle to achieve unity level, especially with higher output pickups.
        That’s a good argument for encouraging players to back off the gain if compromises must be made to accommodate levels higher than are practically useable. Why is that an issue? Does the output volume just inherently have to be lower to clip the input by that amount? Could they not compensate for it?
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I am going down that hole right now myself. I want to add another flavor for our next recording session. I might just break out my BOSS Mega-Distortion
          I just went down the rabbit hole myself and ended buying a Boss Mega Distortion. The demos sounded great! I found one for 50 bucks on ebay. Can't wait to try it out at home.

Comment

OK - I appreciate all of the "less gain is better" comments - but to be clear:

I just want stupid gain levels for playing solo in the music room, just for $#!ts and giggles because insane gain.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

That’s a good argument for encouraging players to back off the gain if compromises must be made to accommodate levels higher than are practically useable. Why is that an issue? Does the output volume just inherently have to be lower to clip the input by that amount? Could they not compensate for it?
              There are two parts to it that are kind of the same thing. If your pedal has hard clipping, which most high gain distortion pedals do at some point (be it through diodes, transistors, op amps etc), you limit the output of your signal. If you have a hard clipping section with diodes that clip at 0.7v (DS-1 for example) the most output you are going to get is 1.4v of output. Combine that with losses introduced from the tone stack, and the maximum output you can generate from a DS-1 is about 1v. With even a Super Distortion this is fine to generate a 6 dB boost, but if you ran an EMG 81, even at max volume and gain you wouldn't get close to your bypassed signal volume. Heck, with an 81 the gain control probably wouldn't do anything.

The way around this is gain staging or by just putting a booster on the output. The MD-2 does both. Granted most modern high gain distortions don't struggle from output issues, but they do struggle with boosting the signal into the clipping section to the point where the gain control past a certain point just controls the compression of your signal rather than adding any more distortion.

Btw If you remove the clipping diodes from a DS-1, it becomes extremely loud, but it will barely distortion your signal.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Ace, does the Pod Go allow you to stack a couple different distortion models? I bet you could get something really cool happening with two dirt pedals, especially with separate EQ afterwards. I've been doing that on the HX Effects and it's a lot of fun.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  - Have a Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem . . . And never use them (it).
                  Just curious. What don't you like about the Mayhem? I have the TT Classic. I haven't heard the Mayhem, but the Classic covers a lot of bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                    Ace, does the Pod Go allow you to stack a couple different distortion models? I bet you could get something really cool happening with two dirt pedals, especially with separate EQ afterwards. I've been doing that on the HX Effects and it's a lot of fun.
                    Yes it does. I'd imagine 4 if I wanted, 5 if I used a real one in the loop...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Just curious. What don't you like about the Mayhem? I have the TT Classic. I haven't heard the Mayhem, but the Classic covers a lot of bases.
                      I like it a lot. It just isn't a mega-distortion pedal.

Comment

Ah. Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Ah. Ok.
                          Honestly, a great midline distortion for doing stuff I really like; Scorpions, Dio, Maiden, Priest, Accept, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            OK - I appreciate all of the "less gain is better" comments - but to be clear:

I just want stupid gain levels for playing solo in the music room, just for $#!ts and giggles because insane gain.
                            That’s just a sidebar I thought people might find useful or interesting. I wouldn’t claim to know what you want better than you. I don’t necessarily think less gain is automatically better anyway. You can have too little for what you’re trying to do just as easily.

The TT is a good example. There’s a few reasons the Classic isn’t right for what you want, too little gain is probably most of them while the Mayhem is too whatever the Mayhem is meant to be. Fuzzy, sputtery, brittle? It would probably be amazing for doom metal bands.
                            Last edited by El Dunco; 06-19-2024, 03:38 PM.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

At some point it's just a fuzz ain't it?
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Tons of gain from one source is definitely quite a different vibe than stacking 2 or three gain stages. If I were to design a pedal with goofy amounts of distortion, it wouldn't look much like anything I currently see on the market.

Comment

Working...
                                X