Slash's tone: a2pro or amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slash's tone: a2pro or amp

Tenniso, I AB the Recti with a 212 Blues Deville (for clean) so I'm a little familiar with it. The power amp runs at 60 watts not the usual 50 so there's a little more push there than the 800. I have a high gain pre tube but the JCM 800 preamp circuit is much more sensitive.

I plugged in my Digitech 2101 (4 gain stages) tube preamp in to the effects loop return the other day. I used to use it as the preamp and effects section for the Recti and some how migrated to using 2 amps ABed (had some pedals I wanted to check out or something) so it wasn't like taking one at the music store for a spin, I got 90 patches programmed and the Blues Deville never sounded better (I had never tried it before and it is staying).

No Fender or Mesa will give you that Marshall air core output transformer tone (unless it has a Marshall xformer in it), the woman tone, but you can pick up a 2101 on eBay for $300 used.

Better yet the Fender reverb works and can be controlled by the beringer foot pedal that you would need to replace that piece of junk pedal that comes with the 2101 (part of the reason I quit using the 2101).

I'm not talking a fuzzbox here...the 2101 or any of it's predecessors replaces the whole preamp...the only knob on the amp that works is the reverb.
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I think the pickups are the biggest part of his sound. The A2pros give you this singing midrange quality that I haven't experienced with any other pickup and even through an overdriven fender amp, the tone still sounded familiar.

Comment

Yea didn't mean to down play the importance of the a2 magnet here. This is a no brainier…the right pickup rather magnet is key. If you still want to wrestle with that Deville preamp I'd suggest a Boss Blues Driver. It's not a fuzz but it will make your amp think you added a gain stage. If you go that route you are about to find out what loud is (see post 4...that's loud too).
        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

A question to Slash fans... are most of his solos done on the bridge pickup or the neck pickup?

Comment

most of the time in the neck position(obviously) i recommend watching the UYI 1&2 dvds
            2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Everyone's talking about the thick mids of the A2P buckers... but I thought they were scooped? Looking at the tone chart its like 8/2/8 high/mid/low... so what's the deal with that... is the tone chart wrong?
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Its more in the attitude and vibes of the player than anything else...thats what i rekon about all playing.
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
                X