banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much output do the JB and the Cool rails have compared to Single coil Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much output do the JB and the Cool rails have compared to Single coil Pickups?

1. Approximately how many times more out does the JB have compared to single coil pickups?

2. Approximately how many times more output do the cool rails have compared to single coil pickups?

Rudy D.

Re: How much output do the JB and the Cool rails have comapred the Single coil Pickups?

Output is generally measured by dc resistance, I think.

Check the tone chart on the main Seymour Duncan site here

Hope it helps...
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Re: How much output do the JB and the Cool rails have compared to Single coil Pickups?

the JB is quite hot, and can easily overpower a set of vintage styled single coils in the neck and mid w/ a JB in the bridge. the Coolrails is only somewhat hotter than a single coil, but it has a percieved output of a hotter pickup. It's alot warmer, fatter and smoother, but will push an amp harder than a vintage styled single coil.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Re: How much output do the JB and the Cool rails have compared to Single coil Pickups?

Originally posted by beandip
        the JB is quite hot, and can easily overpower a set of vintage styled single coils in the neck and mid w/ a JB in the bridge. the Coolrails is only somewhat hotter than a single coil, but it has a percieved output of a hotter pickup. It's alot warmer, fatter and smoother, but will push an amp harder than a vintage styled single coil.
        Thanks. The JB's dc resistance is 16.4 K and the cool rails dc resistance in the bridge is 10.3 k and in the neck it is 9.4 K. The JB has about three times more output compared to the cool rails . Probably the JB would have about 4-5 times more output than single coil pickups.

Rudy D.

Comment

dont go by those numbers so much rudy.......really they arent that great of an indicator of a pickup...... theres differnt guages of wires used and a bigger guage would be wound around less times, and a smaller guage would be wound around more times......which would come out with differnt numbers......

for example, i have a Pearly gates which measures somewhere around 8k if i remember........and a Custom Custom bridge which measures 14k........the CC is a tiny bit louder but not too much, definately not near twice as loud........but its "hotter"......its more compressed and driving......but not much louder than the PG

i think people get too caught up in the whole output thing.......they see numbers and think that pickups are literally 3 or 4 times louder than other ones and im my experience (while not huge, but id say its quite adequate for this situation) that is not the case...... i would think the JB will be a good deal louder and thicker than single coils, perhaps twice as loud......but that will also depend where each pickup is sitting in the pickguard (JB raised high, singles low, or other way around)
          Last edited by flank; 07-17-2004, 08:36 AM.
          http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
          >cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

you cant just use D.C. resistance as a meter for output. You also have to take into consideration magnet types. The coolrails has a Ceramic magnet so it's pretty hot, and will match up well w/ a JB.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I've never tried a cool rails, but a hot rails neck sounds great with the JB in the bridge.

Farkus
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
              X