Invader with regular pole pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Invader with regular pole pieces?

Yea, but it looks like I'm gonna lose the big tone. I want something thick and fairly hot for the bridge of an SG, think Gibson Iommi or Dirty Fingers but in a Duncan. The Invader is the only thing I think comes close, but I need it under a cover to keep the traditional look and according to Duncan removing the large poles will eliminate a lot of the big tone.

Comment

Tatttooed I can almost guarantee with the hex poles you arent going to lose that much tone. I will actually try it out in a Les Paul that I have an Invader in now (in the bridge) and compare before and after. I will record both clips and I am betting the tone will be there probably more defined actually we will see. I won't be able to get all that done till later this week though. Stay tuned...

Comment

For what its worth, 10-32 is the thread size of all standard 19-inch rack mount equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
          Tatttooed I can almost guarantee with the hex poles you arent going to lose that much tone. I will actually try it out in a Les Paul that I have an Invader in now (in the bridge) and compare before and after. I will record both clips and I am betting the tone will be there probably more defined actually we will see. I won't be able to get all that done till later this week though. Stay tuned...
          Very cool, I look forward to your report on this

Comment

No one has commented on (or maybe realized) the extensive R&D of the Invader and how it ended up with the poles, winding, magnets etc. it uses now.

You have to consider how much experimentation has already taken place with all pickups for that matter. Seymour is a madman when it comes to experimenting and the Invader ONLY sounds like it does because of all of the currently used components.
            It has been under a cover, with different poles, windings, bobbin material, magnets, magnetic gauss, coil wire, hieght, etc. etc.
            This is Seymour Duncan you are talking about.

You can change anything about the invader and it won't be the same..the poles however play the biggest role in that pickup, IMO. Look how huge and ferrous they are..that should be an indicator.

Comment

We will see Rodney, the test will begin tonight.

Comment

With that in mind Rodney, any idea what those poles actually do as far as tonal properties and what to expect from it without them?

Structurally, the Gibson Dirty Fingers is supposed to be the closest "other" pickup to the Invader in the way it's put togethr, but it doesn't have such poles. I was curious then if they were really that big a factor after all.

I'd like a Seymourized Iommi/Dirty Fingers type of pup. Something fat, hot, and clear, that will fit under a cover.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                  With that in mind Rodney, any idea what those poles actually do as far as tonal properties and what to expect from it without them?
                  What to expect? Depends on what you use to replace them with...and even then I would only be guessing because so much depends on the giuitar IME.

Structurally, the Gibson Dirty Fingers is supposed to be the closest "other" pickup to the Invader in the way it's put togethr, but it doesn't have such poles. I was curious then if they were really that big a factor after all.
                  There is no doubt about the role they play, they are a deciding factor in the outcome. As for the Dirty Fingers comparison, I can't say. I had a set for years and I don't think they sound anything alike. Both may be 'big' or 'fat' sounding but that would be the only similarity IMO.

I'd like a Seymourized Iommi/Dirty Fingers type of pup. Something fat, hot, and clear, that will fit under a cover
                  Now that can be done. If you are willing to experiment a little I would venture a few options would get the result for you. Taking your guitars tone into consideration, I would formulate a pickup based on other pickup parameters.
                  An overwound Full Shred with one row of standard screws, an overwound DD, are quick examples. The guitar it is going in is big big big factor for me.

Hope to help.

BTW- You have been a Duncan user for years bro, choose a pickup you really like (You are a Full Shred fan right) and decide what it might be missing. Or choose a pickup you think is close and decide what might be missing. You can break down the parameters alot faster that way.
                  Invader without the poles is no longer an Invader...but it might be something that still works for you.

Peace.
                  Last edited by Rodney; 09-02-2004, 09:22 AM.

Comment

This venture is looking for a bridge pup for my Gibson SG 61RI through a Budda Superdrive 80 and playing classic rock, 70's metal ala Sabbath, and bluesy metal stoner rock kinda stuff.

thanks !!

Comment

Tatooed and Rodney, I recorded a similar passage twice. You have to decide which one has the Button head Invader poles, and the other hex poles. Let the fun begin:

Mystery Invader 1

Mystery Invader 2

The best idea is to listen to each one a few times to be able to compare accurately.

Comment

First one has more punch and clarity, second one sounds more muffled, less defined and almost has a chorus effect to it. I'm going to say #1 regular poles, #2 modded poles.

Comment

I noticed that you have them named backwards. Your first one called #1 says INV2 in it's file extension and visa-versa. Just wanted to make sure you posted them correctly.

Comment

I want to wait for Rodney to compare first before I say. He was one that said the large poles gave the Invader the unique character and distinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                              I want to wait for Rodney to compare first before I say. He was one that said the large poles gave the Invader the unique character and distinction.
                              Uh oh, that sounds like a setup

Comment

When you're ready, please give a complete review of your impressions.

Comment

Working...
                                X