Invader with regular pole pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Invader with regular pole pieces?

Here's what the Invader looks like with the hex poles. I should have cleaned off the wax buildup and the markings from the button heads but that will clean up I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Hey Fusion,
      With all due honest respect to your effort, the comparison that you made won't make any difference in my perspective or opinion, primarily because my perspective is not a challenge, it is a reality that belongs to me.

My comments are based on the years I worked for Seymour Duncan and the countless 'tone' projects I have done for them after that (As well as the endless hours working with guitarests and bassist developing thier tone, countless experiments, working with other guitar companies, producing music and generally being a tone head). And this has been going on for years.

But....to be fair to you, I listened to both tracks. Both have a scooped-mid, metal tone IMO. Could be the Invader, could be a DD, could be a Rio Grande. Honestly I have no idea and I have to take your word for it. IMO they both sound very similiar.

Best to you.

BTW- The CCC (C5) was a user experiment that eventually went public. Maybe your Invader/Allen head combo will do the same!

Hope to help,

Rodney

Comment

Ok, Rodney I think you misunderstood the comparison. Both are Invaders, one with normal Invader button head cap screws, and the other with the hex poles as I pictured.

Tattooed, the Mystery Invader 1 was the hex poles, the Mystery Invader 2 was the original Invader.

Comment

Rodney, I didn't want to question your work at Seymour Duncan, I didn't even know you worked there. Im sure your job there is honorable in every way and we appreciate the work you do there. (Gosh I feel like Zell Miller giving John Kerry approval of his Vietnam service lol)

Anyways I did this friendly experiment to help out Tatooed decide if it would work for his situation as he wants to add a cover over the Invader. I just thought it was odd to place a great deal of significance over the button head caps for giving it it's Invader-like tone.

Comment

Yea Rodney is the Duncan forum leader on the old boards before Evan took over. He's a good guy. And I appreciate the input from both of you. Thank you.

Fusion, outside of the clips, can you give your impressions? I like the first listed clip the best, it had more punch, at least in those particular recordings it did.

Comment

Tatooed while there was subtle difference, I heard the same thing as you did. The fuzziness is the reason I never really cared for the Invader. The hex poles did seem to tighten it up a little.

Rodney is right it does depend on the guitar you use it in. Before I got my DD in my SG a long time ago I tried an Invader and it was muddy as hell. Maybe with the hex poles it mihght have been just right. I don't think so though as it was M U D D Y!

Tattooed, I think I will try it with different settings, but in all honesty an Invader was made to play with high gain, so I can't see me going back with the button head screws as I prefer a tighter high end to a muddy fizzely one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                Rodney, I didn't want to question your work at Seymour Duncan, I didn't even know you worked there. Im sure your job there is honorable in every way and we appreciate the work you do there. (Gosh I feel like Zell Miller giving John Kerry approval of his Vietnam service lol)

Anyways I did this friendly experiment to help out Tatooed decide if it would work for his situation as he wants to add a cover over the Invader. I just thought it was odd to place a great deal of significance over the button head caps for giving it it's Invader-like tone.
                Hey my friend, actually I didn't think you were questioning me one bit...and I DON'T work for Seymour Duncan..Not as an employee anyway. At one time yes, but not for the last 4-5 years. I have however done multiple projects for them.

Even so...That doesn't change anything nor make my opinion any more valid. As I siad, my opinion and my perspective are not based on random information but experience, so I have to trust that. As far as your effort, everyone appreciates it!

Yea Rodney is the Duncan forum leader on the old boards before Evan took over. He's a good guy. And I appreciate the input from both of you. Thank you.

Actually... Evan hired me,...He was my Boss (and friend) while I worked there...AND he has commissioned me as an independant for other many other Duncan projects over the past few years.

I was active on the original Duncan BBS back in 96' or 97' before I ever worked there and shortly after being hired I took over webmistress Kelly's job as BBS 'person'. In OCT 2000 I built the last YABB forums which you all quickly outgrew, Jeremy was asked to moderate, then Scott, then Robert S. etc etc. and the rest is history!

But back on topic, I think I installed my first Invader in the late 80's.

Too much affects tone...and the best/worst culprit is our ears.

Rock On Fusion!

Rodney

Comment

I have to say I really liked the hex head clip better. I just recently used an Invader while doing some recording and I liked it a lot, I am surprised at what a noticable difference there was with the hex heads. I really assumed that it was more a cosmetic thing.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I just thought it was odd to place a great deal of significance over the button head caps for giving it it's Invader-like tone.
                    Sorry Just read that.

In my opinion, the last 15 or 20% of any signature tone is found in the details...There is no doubt that an alnico 5 puts a JB where it is. Still sounds 'like' a JB with an alnico 2 but there is something missing and in many cases that 'something' is really amplified and obvious.
                    The pole size alone in an Invader keep the magnets and coils a certain distance from the strings...'that' is one of those details. The sheer size of the heads create a unique magnetic field pattern...'that' is a detail.
                    Those are the kinds of significances that can't be ignored IMO. Even though many players aren't tuned in to that level of detail, just as many are and I find it important to practice 'good' advice if I personally know better (or think I do).

Peace.

Comment

All this fuss for some regular screws, an in the end after you replace them the pickup looks worse than it did before. I say just let the invader be the invader.
                      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                      Blackstar HT-5
                      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
                        All this fuss for some regular screws, an in the end after you replace them the pickup looks worse than it did before. I say just let the invader be the invader.
                        The asthetic point is to put a cover on it, a cover won't fit with the large poles.

Comment

So you think an Invader with a cover will work out for you?

Comment

Dunno, it might. I'm still considering an Iommi and a Dirty Fingers; for an SG 61RI.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                              The asthetic point is to put a cover on it, a cover won't fit with the large poles.
                              I was just thinking . . . I wonder if you could remove the hex-heads, put the cover on, and then re-install the hex-heads. They'ld perform double-duty holding the cover on, and it might look cool. Then again - it might look like poo.

Comment

Tatooed this is a crappy idea of Sabbath riffs to get an idea if it's decent for that kind of music. I just used a Plexi model on the V-amp2, so a real amp will sound much better. Forgive the sloppy playing I did this early this morning after quite a few drinks lol.

Sabbath Riffs

Comment

Working...
                                X