X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• havrelm1
    replied
    Re: Detonator pickup wiring 5-w switch , 1 hum 2 singles

I don't understand it. I have been playing for 10 years and only wired a few pickups which work fine, unless this volume pot has just taken a crap due to soldering heat because it is grounded the same way as the other pickup was. but it makes way too much noise even with the gain down. (i play through a Marshall TSL100).

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

alright, that works, the distortion is nice and clean and the same as my Telecaster (same pickup), but when I sit there with the lead channel on there is a loud humming still and i have grounded the big black/green to the volume pot with everything else. I tried grouding it elsewhere and it was the same. (almost there, I really appreciate the help so far guys).

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by havrelm1
    sorry about that . . .
    No problemo.

the small black wire from the duncan detonator, it would then be hooked up where I removed the red humbucker wire correct? and the red and white wires from the duncan just stay the way they are and dont get used.
    No, not exactly. You want to hook the Detonator Black wire to the where the old humbucker white wire was, and the Detonator red/white combo, to where the old humbucker red was.

Like this:

Also, if you don't care about the Detonator having "split" operation in the #4 position, then just don't connect the red/white combo to the switch at all. But still be sure to connect them to each other and insulate them so they don't touch anything else. You won't need any of the wiring thats in the green box. (If you don't want it split.)

This will take you back to "ordinary" 5-way operation:

1: neck
    2. neck / middle
    3. middle
    4. middle / full Detonator
    5. full Detonator

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

sorry about that i was at work and just going off of what i remembered, lesson learned i cant remember shiat!

the small black wire from the duncan detonator, it would then be hooked up where I removed the red humbucker wire correct? and the red and white wires from the duncan just stay the way they are and dont get used.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Ok, thats exactly how it should be . . . which isn't exactly what you described first.
    The blue and green boxes outline the two "halves" of the switch.
    The side in blue, just selects the three pups in the normal fashion:

1. neck
    2. neck/middle
    3. middle
    4. middle/bridge
    5. bridge

The side in green, splits the humbucker when the switch is in #4 above.
    (Actually, it splits it in positions 2, 3, and 4, but 2 and 3 are irrelevant, since the humbucker isn't "selected" in these two positions.

So, what we end up with is:

1. neck
    2. neck/middle
    3. middle
    4. middle/split bridge
    5. full bridge

Now that we have that worked out . . . what was your original question?

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

here is my wiring set up from the switch, i was wrong about that yellow wire, but regardless i could not wire the pickup without getting extreme electrical noise out of every pickup.
    Last edited by havrelm1; 07-26-2004, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

If its the first pic, then 4 & 5 must be the common terminals. If you look closely at the circuit board, you can see the traces through to the other side, and can tell which are the common's, and which are the p'up pads.

That doesn't mean that you're wrong about what you saw, just means there's something odd going on with your wiring.

Any chance you could post a pic of you switch assembly, with wiring?

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

The first switch (box style).

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Does your switch look more like the 1st pic, 2nd pic, or neither?

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

yea, i am going to check it out when i get home in a few hours and provide the EXACT information but I am almost positive that the switch has (from left) 2 reds, 1 yellow, 2 whites, 1 empty, 1 black and 1 empty (that is if the guitar is on your lap and you are looking at the switch). I have a Telecaster that has this pickup in it (just the pickup and a volume pot) but I can't go off of that wiring for obvious reasons, but it shreds and sounds sweet!
    Last edited by havrelm1; 07-26-2004, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

there is a yellow wire on the switch (3rd prong from the left) that is going to the volume pot. And I can assure this is the original factory wiring.
    Hmmm . . . thats unusual. On an Ibby 5-way, with eight terminals, the middle two, (pins 4 & 5) are the two "common" terminals. This might be one of those situations where you'll just to use a meter to trace things out.

But, also be sure to double check what you're looking at, just in case.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
    why does that volume pot have a cap on it? I'm confused.
    Its a variation of the "treble-bleed" mod, like shown here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...bleed_mod.html

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

there is a yellow wire on the switch (3rd prong from the left) that is going to the volume pot. And I can assure this is the original factory wiring.

Leave a comment:

• Indie P Bass
    replied

why does that volume pot have a cap on it? I'm confused.

Leave a comment:

• havrelm1
    replied

close, my switch, from left to right, had
    red, red, yellow (to a vol/tone pot i think), white, white, empty, black, empty. the stock humbucker had a red wired to the far left and a white to the 4th from the right, one single coil was the other red and the other single coil was the other white one. So from the Duncan Detonator i tried soldering the small black wire to each of the 2 points of the switch where i removed the red and white from the stock pickup (keeping the red/whie of the duncan taped) and the pick-up slightly works with a lot of electrical noise, and it makes all the other pickups noisy as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X