I wanna put these in my SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna put these in my SG

Hmmm…That's strange. My '59 is the four-wire version. I don't think it's custom; I got it from Guitar Center. Can anyone shed some light?

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Yeah, what a dummy I am for not asking the eBay seller about it, too. But he should've had it in the description!

After some searching, I did find a four-conductor '59 online that I'm going to order now.

Apparently a rare beast... the four-conductor '59 in nickel!

Comment

Originally posted by shaggydawg View Post
        I'm going to JP wire the SG (assuming I can hog-out enough wood to get the push/pulls to fit), so I'll have access to SOME kind of single coil sounds.
        I've done the JP wiring in several SG's and never had to take out any wood, which is pretty thin there anyways, and trying it could be a disaster in the making. Standard push-pulls just fit in the cavity, and the rear cover may or may not have a very slight buldge, which no one notices, including yourself. I've put a thin piece of plastic over the push-pulls before I seal it up sometimes, to be sure that nothing touches the shielding on the rear cover plate & causes a short. But that's much preferable over trying to carve away wood.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          But that's much preferable over trying to carve away wood.
          I hear what your saying. Believe me, I don't want to have to do it but I've tried the pots in there and it really needs another 1/16" or so. From what I gather after searching for days on this subject, the depth of SG control cavities vary pretty widely depending on the make, model, and year.

I'm sending the guitar off to a well-respected luthier with a full wood shop. I'm going to ask his opinion. If he doesn't recommend it based on the wood thickness, I may have to live with the bulge, or scrap the idea all together.

Comment

As for the '59 versus the Jazz, if you're low on money my opinion would be to get the Jazz in nickel cover. I don't think a big mahogany/rosewood guitar like an SG is going to need more warmth (i.e. '59 versus Jazz), and in my Schecter C-1 Classic (which is maple/walnut ply neck-through with mahogany wings) it's still got tons of warmth with a cover.

As for the combo, '59/JB combo is very ESP-ish. For a while it seemed all their Duncan-loaded guitars had that combo. However, the C5 supposedly sounds like a bumped-up '59.

My opinion: see if anyone is selling the used pickups out of a Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/JB). Maybe you could save some more money there....

Ebay: used Seymour Duncan '59 Sadly it's one wire, not four wire, or at least that's how it looks. He doesn't say if it's a neck or bridge model....
            Last edited by Robert Delahunt; 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM.
            My Website || My Music
            Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
            ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
            Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Originally posted by shaggydawg View Post
              I hear what your saying. Believe me, I don't want to have to do it but I've tried the pots in there and it really needs another 1/16" or so. From what I gather after searching for days on this subject, the depth of SG control cavities vary pretty widely depending on the make, model, and year.

I'm sending the guitar off to a well-respected luthier with a full wood shop. I'm going to ask his opinion. If he doesn't recommend it based on the wood thickness, I may have to live with the bulge, or scrap the idea all together.
              I could live with 1/16 of an inch of buldge myself. You can still get the screws down tight, and the coverplate will contour to fit. Now 1/4", that's a problem.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                I could live with 1/16 of an inch of buldge myself.
                I hear ya. I'm not going to push it too hard. If the tech tells me there probably isn't enough wood, even with his precision drill press, routing bits, and skill, I won't insist. Unfortunately, I'm kind of obsessive about details, and a bowed cover might make me a little crazy.

We shall see!

Comment

Soo... almost 6 years later...

I did end up having the control cavity routed out enough to get the push-pull switches in to fit. BUT.. I hated it.

So I ended up installing a couple of TS-1's to switch. They're great! Control cavity back to original harness, and TS-1's. Works like a charm. Does it look stock? NO! Oh well! Thanks.

God that was a long time ago!

Comment

Working...
                  X